Newbie Dual boot Linux & Win98, forgot to include Win98

Newbie Dual boot Linux & Win98, forgot to include Win98

Post by joe mcdona » Sun, 27 Jun 1999 04:00:00

. . .am  in trouble?

I have two hard drives the first with Win98
I got a second for Linux.

After installing Linux and using lilo to allow dual boot
I forgot to tell lilo to allow boot up also to DOS.

Now, of course,  when I boot up I only have one
selection to boot to, Linux.

I would like to rerun lilo and tell it to include DOS
which I assume is allowing me to boot to Win98.

If thats not possible can I  reset the boot record to point to
Win98 by
"fdisk /mbr"
and press enter?

    or

Restore Win98 by booting from your Win98 floppy and then when you get
to the command prompt type "sys c:"

is this correct ???

tia
joe mcdonald

Newbie Dual boot Linux & Win98, forgot to include Win98

Post by R.K.A » Sun, 27 Jun 1999 04:00:00

You might want to do "man lilo" and "man lilo.conf"

Here's a howto that should work:
add your dos option to the file lilo reads on startup -
1: edit the file /etc/lilo.conf to reflect the setup you want:
Here's a sample where lilo boots from C drive aka hda1 (where windows is
installed) and Linux is on hdb1

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
linear
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hdb1
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos
        table=/dev/hda

After you've edited and saved (it should be pretty similar to your own
setup)
you MUST run lilo from linux before you reboot: This installs the new
boot-configuration to the default boot-image (here boot.b) and it will
be active next time you boot. write:

/sbin/lilo -v

(-v will verbose what happens)

THEN you can reboot -  shutdown -r now
First you may want to check what the boot now looks like, which you list
with /sbin/lilo -q
(-q for "query")

If things mess up completely you 're close to the "final solution" in
what you wrote - boot from a DOS system diskette with fdisk copied onto
it, and
after boot, write

fdisk /mbr

This will in effect overwrite lilo in your master boot record on the C
drive. It might look a little scary but it works fine - "been there,
done that".

Further action to get back to the "pre linux" install thus isn't needed.

Kristin.

[snipped]

Post by Rob Stockle » Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> . . .am  in trouble?

> I have two hard drives the first with Win98
> I got a second for Linux.

> After installing Linux and using lilo to allow dual boot
> I forgot to tell lilo to allow boot up also to DOS.

> Now, of course,  when I boot up I only have one
> selection to boot to, Linux.

> I would like to rerun lilo and tell it to include DOS
> which I assume is allowing me to boot to Win98.

> If thats not possible can I  reset the boot record to point to
> Win98 by
> "fdisk /mbr"
> and press enter?

Noooooooooooo! this only works with the MS version of fdisk

Quote:

>     or

> Restore Win98 by booting from your Win98 floppy and then when you get
> to the command prompt type "sys c:"

> is this correct ???

Nope. You can boot from a win98 floppy then run fdisk /mbr if you like
but then you'll have to use a floppy to boot into Linux.  What you
really want to do is edit your /etc/lilo.conf to reflect the existence
of your win98 drive.  Your /etc/lilo.conf should look something like
this,

boot=/dev/hda
delay = 20
compact
vga = normal
root=/dev/hdb1
image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        root=/dev/hdb1
        read-only

Don't worry if yours doesn't have the same options towards the top (you
can see waht these do using 'man lilo.conf'). The image block tells lilo
where to find your Linux kernel and which partition it should load as
the root partition. In this case the kernel image is in the root
directory called vmlinuz and the root partition is /dev/hdb1.

Windows stores the path to its system files in the partition table so
the windows entry is slightly different. You need to add the following
lines to the end of /etc/lilo.conf. This assumes Windows is on your C:
drive.

other=/dev/hda1
        label=Win98
        table=/dev/hda

If you want lilo to boot Windows by default instead of Linux then you
need to swap the Linux and win98 blocks around. This is because lilo
will default to the first entry it finds.

Once this is done and you've saved your changes run /sbin/lilo to update
the boot sector.  Reboot and you're away. Enjoy!

--
Rob Stockley
Christchurch, NZ

ICQ:   37780545

1. installing Debian over win98 in dual boot system (win98 and win2k)

Currently I have a dual boot system on a 20gig HDD of win98 and win2k.
Win98 is on C: (10gig) and win2k is on E: (10gig).  I never use the win98
partition and want to delete it and install Debian (linux) instead.  I'd
also like to divide the C: into 2 partitions (both 5 gig) and have one with
Debian and the other for a shared drive.  This is what has been recommended
to me to install Debian:

- from win2k create repair floppys
- partition C using fdisk into 2 partitions
- format the fist partition as FAT?? that will be shared
- install Linux on 2nd partition
   - select to write LILO to first block on the first partition
- use linux boot floppy to start
- use the repair disk to put back boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect.com
- boot with a floppy in DOS and modify boot.ini to reflect the changes in
partition numbering.

Will this work or am I missing something?

2. uams_passwd.so load failure with Netatalk

3. dual-HD, dual-boot problem ... booting Win98 fails on hdb

4. SCSI Pass Thru driver (spt)

5. Newbie: Dual boot win98 and linux

6. Booting from 1GB disk (Linux only!)

7. Please help, newbie trying dual boot Linux Win98

8. Help with mounting CD on Sun Solaris and HPUX!!!!

9. Linux Newbie: Win98 Dual boot problem (RedHat 6.1)

10. Linux & Win98 : problem with win98 on the linux HD

11. How to make dual boot system - Linux & Win98 SE

12. Dual Boot--Dual Monitor in win98--X trouble with Linux

13. Where to put Lilo on dual boot Win98 & Linux?