mounting Linux/NeXT partitions in Linux/NeXT

mounting Linux/NeXT partitions in Linux/NeXT

Post by Bill Bere » Thu, 15 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I have Linux, NeXTStep and DOS on my machine. I can mount
the DOS partition in Linux and NeXT. But it would be more
useful if I could mount the Linux partition in NeXT, and
the NeXT partition in Linux.

Is this possible?

What filesystem does the Next partition use? Is there an ext2fs
filesystem for NeXT?

Post by ch.. » Fri, 16 Jun 1995 04:00:00

> I have Linux, NeXTStep and DOS on my machine. I can mount
> the DOS partition in Linux and NeXT. But it would be more
> useful if I could mount the Linux partition in NeXT, and
> the NeXT partition in Linux.

> Is this possible?

Sure, it's "possible", in the strict sense that one could write a a Linux.fs in /usr/filesystems
under NEXTSTEP and whatever the comparible equivalent is under Linux.

I don't believe that you can simply mount one filesystem from the other OS, although it
would be great if it were that easy.  If you wish to experiment, try doing the mount
*read-only*, or else you may hose the partition you're trying to mount.

Quote:> What filesystem does the Next partition use? Is there an ext2fs
> filesystem for NeXT?

NEXTSTEP uses a Berkeley 4.3 Fast File System, which is defined in "man fs".  You may
also find the header files under /usr/include/bsd/ufs interesting.

-Chuck
--

--------------------------------+--------------------------------------
CrashCatcher Development, Systems and Networking Administrator

Post by Gregor Hoffle » Sat, 17 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: I don't believe that you can simply mount one filesystem from the other
: OS, although it would be great if it were that easy.  If you wish to
: experiment, try doing the mount *read-only*, or else you may hose the
: partition you're trying to mount.

From the Linux side, it's possible to mount NEXTSTEP filesystems, but
just read-only. You'll have to grab the ufs-0.3 patch by Bruno Haible
and compile it into your Linux kernel.

It's at least a way to remove duplicate info files for Emacs ;-)

        Gregor

--
| Gregor Hoffleit     admin MATHInet / contact HeidelNeXT |
| MAIL: Mathematisches Institut   PHONE: (49)6221 56-5771 |

1. Free UN*X for NeXT (was Re: Linux for NeXT 68040?)

I'm well aware that I may be getting on the nerve of Linux gurus here
(I mean, c.o.l.m68k), but NetBSD-current now has the NeXT port which
includes ipfil that does IP NAT (nearly equivalent to what's called IP
masquerading in the Linux world), if that's good enough for you.  If
you have reasons to prefer Linux over BSD, I'll just shut up, but if
your objective is to run a variant of free UN*X with IP {masquerade,
NAT} on your spare NeXT box, NetBSD-current may be what you're looking
for.

However, not having run it myself, I can't say anything about its
stability, etc., but NetBSD has been extremely stable on my Macintosh
Quadra 840AV (a 68040 box).

the web site for info on the mailing lists).

Ken
---
Any unsolicited message soliciting purchase of any product or service
sent to any of my accounts is subject to a US$50 handling charge per
message.  You have been notified.

2. <OT> Parting out a server... stuff forsale

3. Files for installing a networked NeXT laser printer under Win95 (Was: Black Next 2.2 + Linux != networking?)

4. Configuring a second monitor

5. NFS mount of Linux partition from NeXT

6. Upgrade from NT to Linux - A Proposal

7. 1,$ s/INITIAL * NEXT/INITIAL 5251072 NEXT/g

8. Wanted: Windows 3.1 emulator under linux

9. cdrom.com: slack 7/next/sub/sub.next...?

10. X on one console, mac on the next, windoze on the next...etc

11. mount NeXT cd on Linux

12. Can Linux mount NeXT filesystem

13. Linux NOT Enduser -> Better Linux -> Next Linux ?