Slackware 3.4 won't boot on 386SX with 4MB ???

Slackware 3.4 won't boot on 386SX with 4MB ???

Post by Dannis 't Har » Sat, 18 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I run Slackware (3.3) on an AMD5x86-133 with 32MB.
No problems.
I'd like to run it on my old machine as well, a
386SX 25MHz, with
4MB RAM, and a 80 MB harddisk.
I guess this should be possible.

Made the boot and root floppies (bare.i and
color.gz).
I wasn't able to get it to boot.
"Cannot fork" it said.
What's the trick to get things working with only
4MB??

Please let me know.

Tanks.
Dannis.

Slackware 3.4 won't boot on 386SX with 4MB ???

Post by Don Krau » Sat, 18 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Dannis 't Hart says...

Quote:> I run Slackware (3.3) on an AMD5x86-133 with 32MB.
> No problems.
> I'd like to run it on my old machine as well, a
> 386SX 25MHz, with
> 4MB RAM, and a 80 MB harddisk.
> I guess this should be possible.

> Made the boot and root floppies (bare.i and
> color.gz).
> I wasn't able to get it to boot.
> "Cannot fork" it said.
> What's the trick to get things working with only
> 4MB??

Buy more memory, (you BEST move) or read the lowmem.txt that
comes with your dist....
--
=Don=

This is for the spammers:

If you are clueless: Remove SPAM.SUCKS from my address.

"For millions of years, man lived just like the animals.
Then something happened which unleashed the power of our
imagination... We learned to talk"

Slackware 3.4 won't boot on 386SX with 4MB ???

Post by Michael Spalinsk » Sat, 18 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I'd like to run it on my old machine as well, a
> 386SX 25MHz, with
> 4MB RAM, and a 80 MB harddisk.

I used to run Slackware 2.<something> on such a machine and it worked
great. You need to read the Slackware docs about installing when memory is
scarce. For installation you need much more RAM than for normal operation
because a large chunk of memory is used for a ramdisk during the
installation procedure.

M.

Post by Kevin Lamon » Thu, 23 Oct 1997 04:00:00

: I run Slackware (3.3) on an AMD5x86-133 with 32MB.
: No problems.  I'd like to run it on my old machine as well, a
: 386SX 25MHz, with 4MB RAM, and a 80 MB harddisk.
: I guess this should be possible.

: Made the boot and root floppies (bare.i and color.gz).
: I wasn't able to get it to boot.  "Cannot fork" it said.
: What's the trick to get things working with only 4MB??

Easy -- I got Slackware 3.2 running right now on a 386sx/16 4mb.  The
problem is that 4mb is simply not enough to run color.gz.  You've got two
solutions:

1) Use fdisk to create your native and swap partitions (I'd suggest on
that 80mb to break it down as 70/10;  70 is just barely enough to install
most of the A/AP/N/F series, and not at all enough to install much of D or
K, so you're likely going to need to do your compiling on your other
machine).  Reboot.  mkswap the swap partition (fdisk can report the number
of blocks), then load it up with swapon.  You should have enough ram now
to install the A series, after which you can reboot (to unload the
ramdisk) and install the rest at a faster pace.

2)  In addition to 1), you can use bare.i and text.gz, or, after
installing the A series, enter setup with setup.tty.  The text-mode
setup's are less demanding on memory.

3)  No matter what, recompile the kernel for the machine to use as few
drivers as possible.  On my "little" box, I compiled in only IDE support,
ext2fs, msdos fs, tcpip, and ppp.  Got it down by more than 100k under the
standard ide kernel.

As a sidenote, linux in command-line mode is so much faster than DOS, it
really gives new life to those old machines.  I've got another 386/33 8mb
340mb HD -- it can actually beat out my P60 on some (basic) tasks.

Hope this works for you.

: Please let me know.

: Tanks.
: Dannis.

--
Kevin Lamonte         | alamonte <at> bayou (dot) uh [dot] edu
Fight spam!           |  Join the Cause!  http://www.cauce.org

1. newbie: Slackware 3.4 Boot disk won't

Newbie alert!

I've got a Micronics Twister-AT motherboard with a Pentium P55CT (Pentium
166/MMX) chip in it. A not-very-fancy ATI video board, 48MB of RAM, an IDE
drive and a very generic E-IDE CDROM drive (I can't determine who the
manufacturer is). After having some trouble with VIEW.EXE, I've made
several different boot disks, even using bare.i, but they all do the same
thing: Begin to boot by putting two letters to the screen "LI" and then
just stop dead.

Anyone have any ideas? Please? I'm a unix sysadmin, but new to this Linux
stuff...

-Brett

2. Running multiple instances of VNC on single port

3. slackware 3.4's boot disks don't work on compaqs?

4. problem compiling with -ldl

5. Upgraded from SLackware 3.4 to 3.5, now mouse won't work in X

6. Remot LPD configuration

7. Boot problem Slackware 3.4

8. switching mouse buttons under X

9. i just installed Slackware 3.4 and the Multi-Consoles doesn't work.

10. Help: Kernel doesn't compile!! (Slackware 3.4)

11. can't map library libc.so.5 in slackware 3.4?

12. Can't mount 2.0.30 - kernel panic (Slackware 3.4)

13. 3.4 Won't change root device!