Installing Linux+Win 95+Win NT

Post by Nick Brand » Thu, 19 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Please can someone help this newbie linux user:

I've ordered a new computer and I have brought RH 5.0. I wish to
install linux and Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0 on the same 4.3 gig
HD.

First, is it possible. If not, would I need a second HD.

A quick run through via email please would be great (please remove
<deleteme> from the reply address :)

For example, What order do I install the OS's and which Boot loader do
I use; LILO or NT Loader.

Any help will be great
Thanks
Nick

Installing Linux+Win 95+Win NT

Post by Xiaojun Huan » Fri, 20 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> Please can someone help this newbie linux user:

> I've ordered a new computer and I have brought RH 5.0. I wish to
> install linux and Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0 on the same 4.3 gig
> HD.

> First, is it possible. If not, would I need a second HD.

> A quick run through via email please would be great (please remove
> <deleteme> from the reply address :)

> For example, What order do I install the OS's and which Boot loader do
> I use; LILO or NT Loader.

> Any help will be great
> Thanks
> Nick

I currently have RH5/Win95b/WinNT4 installed on two hard drives.  The
sequence (works for me, but I dont think it's that important.) I
installed them is: Win95 (FAT) then NT (FAT) and RH5 (linux native).
During bootup, I'm given an option to boot to either linux or dos.  If
I choose dos I then load the NT loader which asks me to select either
Win95 or NT.

It's not necessary at all to have a second HD.  The easiest thing to do
is to make three or more partitions.  Make sure you choose FAT and NOT
the funkier FAT32 for your Windows95 partition :).

Xiaojun

Post by Craig Duniga » Fri, 20 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> Please can someone help this newbie linux user:

> I've ordered a new computer and I have brought RH 5.0. I wish to
> install linux and Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0 on the same 4.3 gig
> HD.

> First, is it possible. If not, would I need a second HD.

> A quick run through via email please would be great (please remove
> <deleteme> from the reply address :)

> For example, What order do I install the OS's and which Boot loader do
> I use; LILO or NT Loader.

> Any help will be great
> Thanks
> Nick

First, what follows is a list of sunsite mirrors in the UK you can try
for docs:
Canterbury...  unix.hensa.ac.uk/mirrors/sunsite/pub/Linux/
Coventry...  ftp.maths.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/linux/sunsite.unc-mirror/
Greenwich...  ftp.idiscover.co.uk/pub/Linux/sunsite.unc-mirror/
London...  sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/packages/linux/sunsite.unc-mirror/
Mildenhall...  ftp.dungeon.com/pub/linux/sunsite-mirror/

If the new system comes preinstalled with Win95, as they all seem to
nowadays, you can use it to connect to the Internet right away and get
your docs.  I'd suggest at least the Installation HOWTO, along with the
various mini-HOWTOs on multi-booting.

This can work either way, one drive or two.  4.3Gb sounds like enough
for these three OSs, though.  Boot loaders are a matter of preference
and tolerance for steep learning curves, either will work.  You're
right, order of install is very important, but it depends on what you
want to accomplish.

I can give exact instructions on partitioning, installing, and
configuring boot loaders, but I'd need to know how you want to proceed.
I have successfully run systems booting all of the following from lilo,
ntldr, and Boot Manager (OS/2):  NT4, DOS, RedHat, Slackware, OS/2, and
Win95.  How to do it varies with how you want to approach it, so if you
don't get enough help here, email me and I'll send you a brief list of
questions to answer, followed by instructions based on your answers.
--
Craig Dunigan
Technical Support

Post by Richard Ginsber » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> > Please can someone help this newbie linux user:

> > I've ordered a new computer and I have brought RH 5.0. I wish to
> > install linux and Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0 on the same 4.3 gig
> > HD.

> > First, is it possible. If not, would I need a second HD.

> > A quick run through via email please would be great (please remove
> > <deleteme> from the reply address :)

> > For example, What order do I install the OS's and which Boot loader do
> > I use; LILO or NT Loader.

> > Any help will be great
> > Thanks
> > Nick

> I currently have RH5/Win95b/WinNT4 installed on two hard drives.  The
> sequence (works for me, but I dont think it's that important.) I
> installed them is: Win95 (FAT) then NT (FAT) and RH5 (linux native).
> During bootup, I'm given an option to boot to either linux or dos.  If
> I choose dos I then load the NT loader which asks me to select either
> Win95 or NT.

> It's not necessary at all to have a second HD.  The easiest thing to do
> is to make three or more partitions.  Make sure you choose FAT and NOT
> the funkier FAT32 for your Windows95 partition :).

> Xiaojun

I have the same setup at home. Fdisk and create fat16 partitions no
greater than 2gigs. Make sure the first partition is 2 gigs because that
is the one that will be split(fips). I suggest a 2 gig parition for
OSes, 2 gig for win95 & winnt program installs and 300 meg for win95/NT
data. Install win95 first. Then install NT in the same drive. Create
boot disk and use fips to breakup 2gig os partition into fat16 1gig +
double your RAM, and another with the remainder. Run fips again and
break the bigger one into 1 gig and Double ram. At this point you should
have a 1 gig drive for win95/NT, 32-64 meg partition for linux swap,
almost a gig for linux, 2 gig for win95/NT program installs, and a 300
meg win95/NT partition. Then proceed to install linux which will take
about 150-300megs of space. You can use the remainder of your linux
partition for installs and data. Be sure to mount the C, D, & E
drives(fat16) within linux. Voila!

1. Installing Linux/Win 95/Win NT

Hi

I just recently purchased RH 5.0. Next week, I'm hopefully getting a
new computer with WIn 95 on it. I wish to put Linux, Win95 and NT on
either the same 6.3gig HD or 2 separte drives.

Could someone please suggest the best order for installation and what
order to set up the partitions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Nick

P.S. Any replies via email must delete the 'REMOVE' section

2. Noobie question, please help!

3. Linux, Win 95, and Win NT Modem

4. Info needed on pkg_add use & other items...

5. Win 95, Linux and Win NT 4.0 boot

6. Stats: Cola last 7 days

7. Win NT, Win 95, Linux & Samba questions

8. SIGALRM - Please help!!

9. Win 95+Win NT+Linux???

10. WIN NT; WIN 95; LINUX

11. Win NT with Linux and Win 95

12. SCO OSE 5, WIN 95, WIN NT and FTP Lockup Solved

13. Slackware, Win 95, Win NT