Newbie question regarding installing software / packages

Newbie question regarding installing software / packages

Post by Sami » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 03:40:38

Hi, I have just installed Linux for the first time (Red Hat 7.2 with
Gnome).

I am still getting used to the new file system and structure what with
all the usr/bin, /usr/local/bin and /usr/share/bin and all that.

When I download programs (case in point; Netscape Navigator 6.2),
where *should* I install it?  I put the executable in
/usr/share/netscape/netscape but I don't know where I should have put
it.  Now I want to install Java 1.4 SDK but again I am not sure where
I want to install it to.  I read that by default it will go to
/usr/bin/jdk1.4/ or somewhere similar.  Is this acceptable or should I
try to get the executables (java.exe, javac.exe etc) in /usr/bin/ so
they can be run from anywhere.

I like my filesystem to be nice and organised so I would appreciate
some pointers, thanks!

Sam
--

Samiad
-------------------------

Post by Clive Dov » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 05:29:11

> Hi, I have just installed Linux for the first time (Red Hat 7.2 with
> Gnome).

> I am still getting used to the new file system and structure what with
> all the usr/bin, /usr/local/bin and /usr/share/bin and all that.

> When I download programs (case in point; Netscape Navigator 6.2),
> where *should* I install it?  I put the executable in
> /usr/share/netscape/netscape but I don't know where I should have put
> it.  Now I want to install Java 1.4 SDK but again I am not sure where
> I want to install it to.  I read that by default it will go to
> /usr/bin/jdk1.4/ or somewhere similar.  Is this acceptable or should I
> try to get the executables (java.exe, javac.exe etc) in /usr/bin/ so
> they can be run from anywhere.

> I like my filesystem to be nice and organised so I would appreciate
> some pointers, thanks!

> Sam
> --

> Samiad
> -------------------------
> "Never put jam on a magnet. Never put your granny into a bag."

Until you get REALLY familiar with the file structure, use rpm packages. If
there is a choice of packages, use the ones optimized for RedHat.
RPM (RedHat Package Manager) is a system which installs your software into
the correct directories and sets up the sym links for you.
Once you are familiar with the system, and when you run into a package that
you want and it is in tar.gz form, then download it, extract it and read
the documentation that comes with it to find out where to move the files.

What I do is to set up a directory called "incoming" off my home directory
in my user area and download everything to that directory:
i.e. /home/chdove/incoming/

When I have to untar a package, it will then create a directory off the
incoming directory and I can then switch to it, run autoconfig if the
readme file says to do so or copy the files to wherever the readme or
install.txt files tell me.  Just about every serious program has a set of
instructions either in the site from which you fetch it or the company's
site or in the package that you download.

"never spit to windward"

1. Question regarding Redhat 6.1 default installation exclusion of required software packages

I'm an experienced Redhat Linux user with a simple question - when I went to
install Redhat 6.1 for my server, I selected the "Custom" option with
"select individual packages".  After selecting my choices for main packages
to install - Web server, ftp server, X windows etc, it shifts to the
individual component selection "tree/folders".  When I open the folders to
view the packages selected for installation, I noticed quite a few of the
required or suggested packages are NOT selected.  This seems different than
previous versions which installed most of the base programs and their
dependencies.
My question is - why doesn't Redhat pre-select all the required/suggested
files by default?  Is it because I selected the "select individual packages"
option?  When I tried the "Server" option, it installed the base daemons but
not X Windows or many other of the "standard" packages.  Does anyone have a
good list or URL that recommends ALL the packages that should be installed
for a server with some basic workstation capabilities (like kernel
recompiling or syslogs accounting)?  It's is a pain to go through each
folder and read all the descriptions to decide what I should include (OK so
I'm THAT experienced of a user/administrator and I can rpm any missing
packages.  I'd just prefer to have it install everything needed.)

TIA for any pointers,
Steve

2. Apache patch to allow 'Options None' when Options override disallowed

3. question regarding software from packages - everybuddy and xtraceroute

4. Fetchmail problems

5. Newbie. Question regarding 1.time install

6. Help! Printing problems...

7. newbie - installing non-packaged software

8. Difference between Sparc 2, Sparc 10 and Ultra Sparc 10

9. Newbie Question: install KDE from binary packages

10. Newbie question....installing packages from an RPM file?

11. NEWBIE Question: Installing Packages on redhat

12. Questions regarding plotting packages

13. Question regarding updated xinetd packages