Invalid partition table after partitioning

Invalid partition table after partitioning

Post by m.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

RE: Invalid partition table
OS: Caldera OpenLinux

I've seen other people having the same problem as
me, but haven't found the solution.

I ran fips on my 12GB hard disk and shrank my
FAT32 file system down to ~5GB, leaving ~6GB for
Linux. I created root, swap and /usr partitions,
then installed OpenLinux. Everything was cool
until I rebooted.

All I got was a "Invalid Partition table" message.
DOS fdisk and Linux fdisk both recognize my
partitions. My root partition is below the 1024th
cylinder.

If you've had this same problem and fixed it,
please help.

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Invalid partition table after partitioning

Post by Julian Har » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Sorry, I do not the answer, but I do have a variation of the same
problem.

Started with a 10G Win98 primary partition. used FIPS to chop it 3.6G
and 6.3G. Win98 still booted OK, I installed RH 5.2 OK. (Both Win98 and
Linux boot OK) Now FDISK sees my Linux partition as a Extended DOS
partition, and I cannot do anything with it. (I want to create a 2G
logical partition in it for Win98, and reinstall Linux + Oracle). I
cannot delete the EXTDOS partition because it says it contains a drive
letter (logical partition),  (doesn't), I cannot delete the logical
partition because there is not one!!!

Mmmmm

> RE: Invalid partition table
> OS: Caldera OpenLinux

> I've seen other people having the same problem as
> me, but haven't found the solution.

> I ran fips on my 12GB hard disk and shrank my
> FAT32 file system down to ~5GB, leaving ~6GB for
> Linux. I created root, swap and /usr partitions,
> then installed OpenLinux. Everything was cool
> until I rebooted.

> All I got was a "Invalid Partition table" message.
> DOS fdisk and Linux fdisk both recognize my
> partitions. My root partition is below the 1024th
> cylinder.

> If you've had this same problem and fixed it,
> please help.

> Thanks

/* julian hare:
 *

 *
 */

Invalid partition table after partitioning

Post by Julian Har » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I fixed my problem using Norton Utilities diskedit.exe, edited the
partition table starting (cylinder 0, side 0, sector 1, offset 1D0) and
marked the EXTDOS partition as all "0". Then started FDISK, which showed
only the PRIDOS partition, no EXTDOS. Then created an EXTDOS partition
using all the remaining space, then a Logical drive with 2G inside it.
Win98 still boots OK. Acid test time: reinstall Linux. 8)

Re subject line question. I would try try looking at your partition
tables
via something diskedit. One of the things I did before running FIPS, was
run defrag, to ensure everything was packed at the start of the disk,
nothing pointing to the part I chopped off.

--
/* julian hare:
 *

 *
 */

Invalid partition table after partitioning

Post by m.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I fixed my problem using Norton Utilities diskedit.exe, edited the
> partition table starting (cylinder 0, side 0, sector 1, offset 1D0)
and
> marked the EXTDOS partition as all "0". Then started FDISK, which
showed
> only the PRIDOS partition, no EXTDOS. Then created an EXTDOS partition
> using all the remaining space, then a Logical drive with 2G inside it.
> Win98 still boots OK. Acid test time: reinstall Linux. 8)

> Re subject line question. I would try try looking at your partition
> tables
> via something diskedit. One of the things I did before running FIPS,
was
> run defrag, to ensure everything was packed at the start of the disk,
> nothing pointing to the part I chopped off.

> > Sorry, I do not the answer, but I do have a variation of the same
> > problem.

> > Started with a 10G Win98 primary partition. used FIPS to chop it
3.6G
> > and 6.3G. Win98 still booted OK, I installed RH 5.2 OK. (Both Win98
and
> > Linux boot OK) Now FDISK sees my Linux partition as a Extended DOS
> > partition, and I cannot do anything with it. (I want to create a 2G
> > logical partition in it for Win98, and reinstall Linux + Oracle). I
> > cannot delete the EXTDOS partition because it says it contains a
drive
> > letter (logical partition),  (doesn't), I cannot delete the logical
> > partition because there is not one!!!

> > Mmmmm

> > > RE: Invalid partition table
> > > OS: Caldera OpenLinux

> > > I've seen other people having the same problem as
> > > me, but haven't found the solution.

> > > I ran fips on my 12GB hard disk and shrank my
> > > FAT32 file system down to ~5GB, leaving ~6GB for
> > > Linux. I created root, swap and /usr partitions,
> > > then installed OpenLinux. Everything was cool
> > > until I rebooted.

> > > All I got was a "Invalid Partition table" message.
> > > DOS fdisk and Linux fdisk both recognize my
> > > partitions. My root partition is below the 1024th
> > > cylinder.

> > > If you've had this same problem and fixed it,
> > > please help.

> > > Thanks

> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

> > --
> > /* julian hare:
> >  *

> >  *
> >  */

> --
> /* julian hare:
>  *

>  *
>  */

Thanks for the reply :-)

The fix for me was a bit easier. LILO was configured incorrectly
(pointing to the wrong boot partition). I fixed it and rebooted, but
still couldn't boot into win98. To fix that problem (is that really a
problem? :-) I had to make C:\ bootable from within DOS by
exec'ing ``A:\SYS C:'' from my boot floppy.

Everything worked after that, so I went to bed (1:00am).

md

Post by leoma.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> The fix for me was a bit easier. LILO was configured incorrectly
> (pointing to the wrong boot partition). I fixed it and rebooted, but
> still couldn't boot into win98. To fix that problem (is that really a
> problem? :-) I had to make C:\ bootable from within DOS by
> exec'ing ``A:\SYS C:'' from my boot floppy.

> Everything worked after that, so I went to bed (1:00am).

You should be able to add Win98 boot capability by editing
lilo.conf and adding the Win98 partition information at the
bottom of the file:

other=/dev/hda1
    label=win

(assuming that hda1 is where your Win98 partition was)

Also make sure there's a "timeout=50" in lilo.conf somewhere so you
get a 5 second LILO: prompt.  When you add the above lines, and run
"lilo -v", you should be able to run Win98 by typing "win" at the
LILO: prompt.  Future upgrades of Windows will change the MBR so you
need to keep a boot disk around to go re-run LILO after such an
upgrade.

See the following HOWTOs for more info:

http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Linux+Win95.html
http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/mini/Loadlin+Win95.html

Cheers,

- Leo

Post by Andries Brouw » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: I do have a variation of the same problem.

: Started with a 10G Win98 primary partition. used FIPS to chop it 3.6G
: and 6.3G. Win98 still booted OK, I installed RH 5.2 OK. (Both Win98 and
: Linux boot OK) Now FDISK sees my Linux partition as a Extended DOS
: partition, and I cannot do anything with it. (I want to create a 2G
: logical partition in it for Win98, and reinstall Linux + Oracle). I
: cannot delete the EXTDOS partition because it says it contains a drive
: letter (logical partition),  (doesn't), I cannot delete the logical
: partition because there is not one!!!

DOS FDISK only lists DOS partitions, and only touches DOS partitions,
so if you have a Linux logical partition inside this extended, then
it will not be listed and cannot be deleted by DOS FDISK.
The solution is to use Linux fdisk.

Invalid partition table after partitioning

Post by Julian Har » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

The final word on this was Linux fdisk will recognise type f partitions
(Extended Win98 LSB), but disk druid will not. The answer was to create the
extended partition using Linux fdisk, create the desired Linux native
partition (and change it to a DOS partition later), run disk druid to
assign mount points, then reboot Win98 and format the partition you changed
the type on....... I stuffed the last step and finished up rebuilding
everything. I now however have Win98. Linux and Oracle on Linux all
working...   8)

> > The fix for me was a bit easier. LILO was configured incorrectly
> > (pointing to the wrong boot partition). I fixed it and rebooted, but
> > still couldn't boot into win98. To fix that problem (is that really a
> > problem? :-) I had to make C:\ bootable from within DOS by
> > exec'ing ``A:\SYS C:'' from my boot floppy.

> > Everything worked after that, so I went to bed (1:00am).

> You should be able to add Win98 boot capability by editing
> lilo.conf and adding the Win98 partition information at the
> bottom of the file:

> other=/dev/hda1
>     label=win

> (assuming that hda1 is where your Win98 partition was)

> Also make sure there's a "timeout=50" in lilo.conf somewhere so you
> get a 5 second LILO: prompt.  When you add the above lines, and run
> "lilo -v", you should be able to run Win98 by typing "win" at the
> LILO: prompt.  Future upgrades of Windows will change the MBR so you
> need to keep a boot disk around to go re-run LILO after such an
> upgrade.

> See the following HOWTOs for more info:

> http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Linux+Win95.html
> http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/mini/Loadlin+Win95.html

> Cheers,

> - Leo

1. dos partition/invalid partition table

Hi all,

I have a question about disk partition and DOS.  First off, I have an
old 386 system, 8M RAM, hda is a 130M Seagate drive, and hdb is a 40M
Conner drive. (Both drives are IDE.)   I am using Slackware August
1995 CDs and kernel 1.2.8.  This is what happens.

I wanted to have a small DOS partition on the first drive, so I
followed, step by step, the instructions on formatting the disk with a
DOS boot floppy and creating the partition.  Everything was fine and
dandy, I could boot it when I was done so I was OK.  Next, I installed
Linux on the remainder of the disk, using the second disk as /tmp.
Again, fine and dandy.

The problem is that when I reboot the system, I get the message
'Invalid partition table'.  Argh ;-(  So, I did the whole thing again,
got the same message, and just for the fun of it, repeated it and got
the same message.

So, in frustration, I put the DOS partition on the second drive, used
all the first drive for Linux, and voila, it works.  I can't boot DOS
from the second drive, but at least I can see it from Linux - a
compromise at best, because I can imagine there will be times when I
need to boot DOS, and the whole floppy boot...

Anyways, if anybody knows why this is happening and/or can help me
out, I would appreciate some enlightment.

1900 South Norfolk Street        All opinions, if I had any, are my own.
San Mateo CA 94403

2. 2.5.7-dj1, add 3 help texts to arch/alpha/Config.help

3. Linux on several logical partitions: invalid flag 0000 of partition table 4

4. *** R6 Built Error Cause By Wrong Header ? ***

5. Invalid Partition table

6. dev tools for 68HC908?

7. LILO complains "Invalid partition table"

8. is there a good c++ debugging tool?

9. !! Invalid Partition Table - Problem !!

10. Invalid Partition Table

11. Help Me: Dos "Invalid partition table" errot

12. Invalid partition table

13. lilo error: invalid partition table