USR Sportster Winmodem problem

Post by Herbert Rub » Sun, 22 Dec 1996 04:00:00

How do I get Linux to recognize it?

Win95 put it on com4, so I tried to use /dev/cua3 and pppd could not
use it. I had an older Sportster 28.8 that worked fine on com2.

any clues?

Herb

Post by Not » Sun, 22 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>How do I get Linux to recognize it?

>Win95 put it on com4, so I tried to use /dev/cua3 and pppd could not
>use it. I had an older Sportster 28.8 that worked fine on com2.

>any clues?

I think the Winmodem is not Linux compatible because they left out half
the modem, assuming Windoze would be there.
Sportsters are generally OK, but the way you wrote your post it looked
like maybe you have a winmodem.
If it is a sportster, try in back on cua1 if com2 works.
Good Luck

--
Note: Please do not reply to the posting address listed in the header. It
is a false address made necessary by "spam" address collecting software.

Post by William Robiso » Mon, 23 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> How do I get Linux to recognize it?

Herb:
  So many have written in, I can't resist, sorry....

Step 1.
-------
        Obtain one of them little golf-ball size color
        cameras that hook up to the back of the computer
        somewhere...

Step 2.
-------
        Hold the modem in front of the camera and take a
        picture of the modem.

Step 3.
-------
        Save the reference picture in a file on the disk.

Step 4.
-------
        Hold the un-recgonized modem in front of the camera
        and take a picture of it.

Step 5.
-------
        Compare the files... If the bytres ma5tch it is now
        recgonized as the same type opf modem...

Uh, please ignore this message until towards the end of March...
:)
-Willy

:
: Win95 put it on com4, so I tried to use /dev/cua3 and pppd could not
: use it. I had an older Sportster 28.8 that worked fine on com2.
:
: any clues?

Sure! Clue: You don't read enough messages :-)

The Winmodem does not work with Linux, because it does not have a UART.

--

Linux Plug-and-Play Kernel Project http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/pnp/
XFree86 Matrox Team http://www.bf.rmit.edu.au/~ajv/xf86-matrox.html

Post by Jeff Davi » Tue, 31 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> How do I get Linux to recognize it?

I may be wrong but I don't believe you can use the Winmodem with Linux.

I believe it requires Windows drivers to work.

--

Finger: PGP Key ID 87C3D289
http://jehosophat.com

1. USR Sportster Winmodem & Linux

I have a USR Sportster Winmodem that installed itself (win95) using
port 0x110 and irq 9.  I tried setting these with setserial:

        setserial /dev/ttyS2 port 0x110 irq 9

but it doesn't work.  I attempt to cu -l the device and am immediately
disconnected.  I've even toyed with the isapnp stuff all to no avail.
I read some months back where someone got this going but for the life
of me, can't recall where.

I know... everyone's saying don't buy one of these if you run Linux
but I already have it and don't want to spring for a new one.

Many thanks.

2. Help loading btld after system recovery on new system

3. usr sportster winmodem 56k

4. net card problem

5. minicom & usr sportster (not the winmodem)

6. Problem with getty_ps

7. USR WinModem Sportster 33.6 and Linux

8. synchronous I/O and multithreading

9. USR Sportster 28.8 EXT (not PnP, not WINmodem)

10. USR Sportster Winmodem support?

11. USR Sportster Winmodem BAD: So What SHOULD I buy?

12. Wrong modem? USR Sportster Winmodem 33.6

13. USR WinModem Sportster 33.6 and Linux