RedHat 7.1/kernel 2.4.4 sound and eth0 issues

RedHat 7.1/kernel 2.4.4 sound and eth0 issues

Post by Jones E. Versichora » Mon, 11 Jun 2001 20:17:44

Hi all,

I've been trying to get the 2.4.4 kernel working with a fairly standard
RedHat 7.1 installation on a Toshiba 4010CDT laptop, in response to
the foobar-edness of the opl3sa2 driver in the 2.4.2-2 kernel.  I've got
the kernel booting fine, and everything seems to run smoothly except for
the following:

1) The first time I booted into 2.4.4 an autoconfigure screen came up
asking me if I wanted to configure my Xircom 10/100mbps ethernet
controller.  I said yes, then it asked if I wanted to migrate the existing
configuration.  I also said yes.  Then, for the first time ever,
"intialising eth0" came up OK!  HOORAY!  It has always delayed due to
PCMCIA not being up.  I have no idea if this is a purely cosmetic change or
if something real is happening there... unfortunately, the point is moot
because then, although net configuration claims eth0 is active, all hosts,
including my gateway, are unreachable.  If I reboot under 2.4.2-2, it asks
to remove the Xircom configuration, goes back to delaying eth0
initialisation and then the card works again... go fig.

2) I no longer get the dreaded "error accessing /dev/audio" message in
sndconfig.  Instead, it just shows me the modprobe results on driver
opl3sa2 - namely, that no device was found.  If I modprobe manually on
opl3sa2 it says the same thing.  Does this mean my pnp settings are goofed?
 Or is there another, more subtle workaround?   Or am I missing something
real obvious?

I would really appreciate any feedback from someone who has a clue, I've
been stuck on this problem for awhile, and I hate having to boot up Lose98
in order to play my music!

Thanks,

Jones.

--
---
Jones E. Versichoran

RedHat 7.1/kernel 2.4.4 sound and eth0 issues

Post by Kwan Low » Mon, 11 Jun 2001 21:56:23

Quote:> 1) The first time I booted into 2.4.4 an autoconfigure screen came up
> asking me if I wanted to configure my Xircom 10/100mbps ethernet
> controller.  I said yes, then it asked if I wanted to migrate the existing
> configuration.  I also said yes.  Then, for the first time ever,
> "intialising eth0" came up OK!  HOORAY!  It has always delayed due to
> PCMCIA not being up.  I have no idea if this is a purely cosmetic change or
> if something real is happening there... unfortunately, the point is moot
> because then, although net configuration claims eth0 is active, all hosts,
> including my gateway, are unreachable.  If I reboot under 2.4.2-2, it asks
> to remove the Xircom configuration, goes back to delaying eth0
> initialisation and then the card works again... go fig.

I've seen this often -- as you've determined, the pcmcia loads after the network
tries to initialize. This causes a problem because pcmcia is needed for the
network driver. To fix this, change the order in which the two load by either
editing the files in /etc/rc.d/init.d/network and ./pcmcia or renaming the
symlinks in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d and ./rc5.d.

#!/bin/sh
#
# network       Bring up/down networking
#
# chkconfig: 2345 10 90

The chkconfig line tells which runlevels to load network, and at what point in
the bootup it should initialize. In this case, runlevels 2,3,4 and 5. At about
10% of the startup it will run. Then look at the pcmcia:

# chkconfig: 2345 09 96

Make sure that pcmcia runs before network.

Once you've gotten the card to safely initialize, try using ifconfig to assign
an IP address and netmask. Ping the IP address of the interface.

Quote:> 2) I no longer get the dreaded "error accessing /dev/audio" message in
> sndconfig.  Instead, it just shows me the modprobe results on driver
> opl3sa2 - namely, that no device was found.  If I modprobe manually on
> opl3sa2 it says the same thing.  Does this mean my pnp settings are goofed?
>  Or is there another, more subtle workaround?   Or am I missing something
> real obvious?

Avoid plug and play. IIRC, there's a soundblaster mode for this card. Try
checking the Linux Laptop HOWTO (search google.com) for this laptop.
Quote:> I would really appreciate any feedback from someone who has a clue, I've

Post by Jones E. Versichora » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 04:57:24

>> 1) The first time I booted into 2.4.4 an autoconfigure screen came up
>> asking me if I wanted to configure my Xircom 10/100mbps ethernet
>> controller.  I said yes, then it asked if I wanted to migrate the
>> existing
>> configuration.  I also said yes.  Then, for the first time ever,
>> "intialising eth0" came up OK!  HOORAY!  It has always delayed due to
>> PCMCIA not being up.  I have no idea if this is a purely cosmetic change
>> or if something real is happening there... unfortunately, the point is
>> moot because then, although net configuration claims eth0 is active, all
>> hosts,
>> including my gateway, are unreachable.  If I reboot under 2.4.2-2, it
>> asks to remove the Xircom configuration, goes back to delaying eth0
>> initialisation and then the card works again... go fig.

> I've seen this often -- as you've determined, the pcmcia loads after the
> network tries to initialize. This causes a problem because pcmcia is
> needed for the network driver. To fix this, change the order in which the
> two load by either editing the files in /etc/rc.d/init.d/network and
> ./pcmcia or renaming the symlinks in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d and ./rc5.d.

Hmm...  sorry, I worded that poorly.  The eth0 delayed initialisation
problem never hampered use of the interface (the initialisation must have
been "delayed" until PCMCIA kicked in, and then occurred), and actually
stopped occuring altogether when I upgraded to the new kernel.  However,
despite this (and the aforementioned autoconfigure thing that came up out
of nowhere under the new kernel - some RedHat thing), the card simply
doesn't work under the new kernel.  There is no delayed initialisation
under 2.4.4 etc... and when I reboot to 2.4.2-2, it works fine even with
that problem.

I should probably mention the type of ethernet card - a Xircom 10/100 mbps
+ 56k modem Realport cardbus.

Quote:>> 2) I no longer get the dreaded "error accessing /dev/audio" message in
>> sndconfig.  Instead, it just shows me the modprobe results on driver
>> opl3sa2 - namely, that no device was found.  If I modprobe manually on
>> opl3sa2 it says the same thing.  Does this mean my pnp settings are
>> goofed?
>>  Or is there another, more subtle workaround?   Or am I missing something
>> real obvious?
> Avoid plug and play. IIRC, there's a soundblaster mode for this card. Try
> checking the Linux Laptop HOWTO (search google.com) for this laptop.

>> I would really appreciate any feedback from someone who has a clue, I've
>> been stuck on this problem for awhile, and I hate having to boot up
>> Lose98 in order to play my music!

>> Thanks,

>> Jones.

>> --
>> ---
>> Jones E. Versichoran
>> Karls-Ruprecht Uni-Heidelberg

--
---
Jones E. Versichoran

1. Redhat 7.1 kernel build problem finding eth0 , eth1, and USB - related iptables

I want to setup my RedHat 7.1 box for NAT and proxy (iptables? and squid).

I've just upgraded my kernel from 2.4.2-02 to 2.4.3-12.  This works fine.
I've now recomplied this new kernel (and I tried this with the old one) for
iptables.  I used "make menuconfig" and selected some options in networking
to be loaded straight into the kernel (not as modules).  When I boot off
this modifed kernel I get the following (extracts for /var/log/messages):

Oct  9 19:39:21 omproxy sysctl: net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
Oct  9 19:39:21 omproxy sysctl: net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1
Oct  9 19:39:21 omproxy network: Setting network parameters:  succeeded
Oct  9 19:39:21 omproxy network: Bringing up interface lo:  succeeded
Oct  9 19:39:22 omproxy modprobe: modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
/lib/modules/2.4.
3/modules.dep (No such file or directory)
Oct  9 19:39:22 omproxy ifup: Delaying eth0 initialization.
Oct  9 19:39:22 omproxy network: Bringing up interface eth0:  failed
Oct  9 19:39:25 omproxy automount[562]: using kernel protocol version 3
Oct  9 19:39:22 omproxy modprobe: modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
/lib/modules/2.4.
3/modules.dep (No such file or directory)
Oct  9 19:39:22 omproxy ifup: Delaying eth1 initialization.
Oct  9 19:39:22 omproxy network: Bringing up interface eth1:  failed
Oct  9 19:39:25 omproxy xinetd[596]: chargen disabled, removing
Oct  9 19:39:25 omproxy xinetd[596]: ftp disabled, removing

and...

Oct  9 19:39:25 omproxy xinetd[596]: time disabled, removing
Oct  9 19:39:25 omproxy xinetd[596]: time disabled, removing
Oct  9 19:39:25 omproxy xinetd[596]: chargen-udp disabled, removing
Oct  9 19:39:25 omproxy xinetd[596]: rsync disabled, removing
Oct  9 19:39:25 omproxy xinetd[596]: echo-udp disabled, removing
Oct  9 19:39:25 omproxy xinetd[596]: echo disabled, removing
Oct  9 19:39:25 omproxy xinetd[596]: daytime-udp disabled, removing
Oct  9 19:39:25 omproxy xinetd[596]: daytime disabled, removing
Oct  9 19:39:25 omproxy xinetd[596]: xinetd Version 2.1.8.9pre14 started
with
Oct  9 19:39:25 omproxy xinetd[596]: libwrap
Oct  9 19:39:25 omproxy xinetd[596]: options compiled in.
Oct  9 19:39:25 omproxy xinetd[596]: Started working: 1 available service
Oct  9 19:39:27 omproxy /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: ... can't load module
mousedev
Oct  9 19:39:28 omproxy xinetd: xinetd startup succeeded

What's going wrong?  I used the i686 kernel as I have a Celeron and if I
type uname -a it says i686.

--
NOSPAM: remove _ to email me.

2. SoundBlaster - input mode?

3. Redhat 7.1 cablemodem on eth0 and ppp

4. Tar file, incomplete, need to recover!

5. RedHat 7.1: How to tell system not to bring up eth0?

6. dosemu.

7. Upgrading from RedHat 7.1 to 7.2, I lost eth0 and X11

8. CISCO ROUTERS + OSI & FTAM + SPARC 1000E's

9. RedHat 7.1 and eth0 problem...

10. Where is the kernel configuration file, kernel installed by RedHat 7.1?

11. aic7xxx Issues With RedHat 7.1--Just Me?

12. Redhat 6.2 to 7.1/etc/passwd issue

13. any known X performance issues on RedHat 7.1?