dselect ftp errors; PPP 2x slower than Win 95; root telnet login

dselect ftp errors; PPP 2x slower than Win 95; root telnet login

Post by Kiyan Azarb » Fri, 04 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I am having several problems with my installation of Debian 1.3 (as expected).
I am completely new to Linux (and unix sysadmin in general... although I have
used Solaris, SunOS and AIX at work and school for years). The learning
curve is naturally very steep, and I need help taking my first baby steps.

First off, some info. I installed (or rather, my friend did) Debian 1.2 off
the April InfoMagics. He then proceeded to tweak and configure here and
there, and pretty soon I was running with LILO in the mbr (although for
some reason the Debian install didn't put LILO there as it said it would).

He got PPP going quite quickly (by changing my modem to com 2 or something
by disabling one of the serial ports from the BIOS). After that it was great.
(I have a SupraExpress 33.6i PnP voice modem) When I say great, I mean it
seemed great at the time... I could ping, telnet, ftp, etc.

Next we began the arduous process of upgrading to Debian 1.3. I watched him
use dselect and it was confusing. Anyway, he managed to get enough that now
I have the newest bash and my login prompt says Debian 1.3. He had to leave
to return to New Jersey so now I'm stuck with a system that isn't fully stable.
I have selected the packages I want (I really like dselect now) and I am
trying to install over ftp through dselect. Unfortunately the install
scripts (perl?) are a bit finicky about fty throughput (or maybe it's ftp's
fault?). Anyway to make a long story short I have tried for the past three
nights to get around 60 megs of stuff. I will make a cron job to kill the pppd
in say six hours, I download, and go to sleep. Only to find out that maybe,
if I'm lucky, one package was successful before "FTP ERROR". I wrote some
scripts that run ifconfig every second to monitor whether I'm getting
stuff or*. I wrote a script also to ping all the ftp mirrors in the US
15 times. I ran it six or seven times and checked the stats. The best site
was linux.eecs.umich.edu (for me). So I told dselect to go there and it seemed
fine at first... till I woke up to find that only gcc had worked before I got
another FTP error. Is there any way I can tell dselect not to be so picky, and
just WAIT. Sometimes the throughput grinds to a halt, but usually picks up,
but unfortunately dselect is asking questions to recover and I'm asleep. Can
I get it to use a better ftp package (wu-ftp any good?)

One problem here could be this: I pinged the site from Win 95 and got an avg
time of around 200 ms, whereas under Linux I get 420+. This is strange. Do
I have to fool with irqtune or the mtu's. I can check any conf files people
need me to... I really have no clue.

Anyone had success installing/upgrading over ftp? Does anyone know anywhere
I can get the full contents (or nearly that) of the ftp site on CD? I don't
want 1.2 since I have already got it.

Is it because of my PnP modem?

Oh yes.. I tried logging in (when I was logged on with PPP) by using ifconfig
to check my session IP, telnetting to school and telnetting back in. It works
with user accounts but not with root. How do I allow remote root logins?

And is there a way to check mail from a POP3 server and leave mail on the
server (like Eudora will let you)? Elm expects mail in /var/spool/mail....
any pop login programs to do this?

Thanks

dselect ftp errors; PPP 2x slower than Win 95; root telnet login

Post by Steve Geor » Sat, 05 Jul 1997 04:00:00

<SNIP>

Quote:>I have selected the packages I want (I really like dselect now) and I am
>trying to install over ftp through dselect.

Presumably you are not being disconnected from your ISP so the problem is just
speed of your connection.  You could try ftping the stuff down to a dir and
not going through dselect, ths is how I do it.  I write my .netrc to get the
stuff and then connect to the site, it gets all the stuff and quits the
session at the end (hence not leaving it open uselessly)....do man ftp for
info on .netrc.  Also in dselect you can choose the type of ftp access it
uses, active or inactive (or something)..i used used the softer of the two
(sorry I am writing this at work so the titles of that aren't quite
right)...presumably this changes the way it trys to use ftp.

Quote:

>One problem here could be this: I pinged the site from Win 95 and got an avg
>time of around 200 ms, whereas under Linux I get 420+. This is strange. Do
>I have to fool with irqtune or the mtu's. I can check any conf files people
>need me to... I really have no clue.

You may need to check you serial configuration, normally 0serial runs as part
of your bootup.  You need to make sure that there is a setting for vhi in it
so that your port will got at 115,200 if it is capable of this. See the Serial
HowTo for more info.

Quote:

>Anyone had success installing/upgrading over ftp? Does anyone know anywhere
>I can get the full contents (or nearly that) of the ftp site on CD? I don't
>want 1.2 since I have already got it.

I have only ever installed by ftp and only recently switched to Debian -
dselect is the best (after you have got used to it)!.  However, I did download
much of the stuff to 95 partition and then used the mounted partition option,
for the rest like X I used straight FTP from linux to a dir I made /debian

Quote:

>Is it because of my PnP modem?

They are a pain but if your works OK then it's something, generally it's cos
they have crappy chips etc ;)

Quote:>Oh yes.. I tried logging in (when I was logged on with PPP) by using ifconfig
>to check my session IP, telnetting to school and telnetting back in. It works
>with user accounts but not with root. How do I allow remote root logins?

Root is restricted from loggining via telnet, you can do su - from within a
normnal login or there is a config file to delete....forgot which!

Quote:

>And is there a way to check mail from a POP3 server and leave mail on the
>server (like Eudora will let you)? Elm expects mail in /var/spool/mail....
>any pop login programs to do this?

Lots!  but I just use Netscape's mail through X
Check the net section in dselect ;)

Good luck,
Steve

1. telnet logins running slower and slower...

I have a linux server running Redhat 6.1 and it has been up for about a year
now.  I'm having a problem with telnet.  When someone telnets to the server,
it connects right away, but takes 20 seconds or so for the login prompt to
be displayed.  Any suggestions on how to solve this problem or where to
start?

2. Accessing 2 machines with 1 username/password. How?

3. Win 95 telnet terrible performance on Linux PPP links

4. Current KDE2 problems

5. SCO OSE 5, WIN 95, WIN NT and FTP Lockup Solved

6. Redhat 6.2, Oracle8i DBD::Oracle not playing

7. PPP and Win 95 again: error message

8. reading kernel route tables

9. PPP & FTP vs Telnet (<- this is much slower)

10. Connecting Win 95 PPP to Solaris 2.5 PPP

11. SCO 5/Win 95/Telnet

12. Enabling root login via telnet & ftp

13. Byte Magazine; Aug 95 Says Win 95 is "The Elegant Kludge"