compose meccanism for keyboard maps

Post by Ben Mulvihil » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am trying to setup my keyboard like the
US International driver in Windows, which
lets you write accented characters using
fairly intuitive key combinations, eg:

'"' followed by 'u' = ''
'"' followed by ' ' = '"'

The manual page for loadkeys mentions
a compose meccanism in the kernel, which
would seem to do the trick, and some of
the keyboard maps provided appear to
use this meccanism as they contain lines
like the following:

compose '"' 'U' to ''
compose '"' 'u' to ''
compose '\'' 'Y' to 'Y'
compose '\'' 'y' to 'y'
compose 's' 's' to '?'
compose '"' 'y' to '?'
compose 's' 'z' to '?'

I cannot get it to work however, and cannot
find any explanation of how it should work.
The maps load OK, as all the basic keys move
round correctly but when I type '"' followed
by 'u' I just get '"u'!

If anyone could help or tell me where to find
any documentation I should be grateful.

I have kernel 2.0.18 and loadkeys 0.89

Thanks,

Ben Mulvihill

Post by Andries Brouw » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: I am trying to setup my keyboard like the
: US International driver in Windows, which
: lets you write accented characters using
: fairly intuitive key combinations, eg:

: '"' followed by 'u' = 'u-umlaut'
: '"' followed by ' ' = '"'

: The manual page for loadkeys mentions
: a compose mechanism in the kernel, which
: would seem to do the trick, and some of
: the keyboard maps provided appear to
: use this meccanism as they contain lines
: like the following:

: compose '"' 'U' to 'U-umlaut'

: I cannot get it to work however, and cannot
: find any explanation of how it should work.

The mechanism will compose '"' 'U' to 'U-umlaut'
if it is clear that a composition is required.
This is clear (i) if '"' was declared a dead key,
and (ii) if the compose key was hit before.

Thus: <dead-quote> + <U> -> <U-umlaut>
and <compose> + <quote> + <U> -> <U-umlaut>.

Look in /usr/lib/kbd/* for keymaps with `dead'
in the filename, or construct your own keymap
with dead keys.

Post by Michel Catuda » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I am trying to setup my keyboard like the
> US International driver in Windows, which
> lets you write accented characters using
> fairly intuitive key combinations, eg:

> '"' followed by 'u' = ''
> '"' followed by ' ' = '"'

> The manual page for loadkeys mentions
> a compose meccanism in the kernel, which
> would seem to do the trick, and some of
> the keyboard maps provided appear to
> use this meccanism as they contain lines
> like the following:

> compose '"' 'U' to ''
> compose '"' 'u' to ''
> compose '\'' 'Y' to 'Y'
> compose '\'' 'y' to 'y'
> compose 's' 's' to '?'
> compose '"' 'y' to '?'
> compose 's' 'z' to '?'

> I cannot get it to work however, and cannot
> find any explanation of how it should work.
> The maps load OK, as all the basic keys move
> round correctly but when I type '"' followed
> by 'u' I just get '"u'!

> If anyone could help or tell me where to find
> any documentation I should be grateful.

> I have kernel 2.0.18 and loadkeys 0.89

> Thanks,

> Ben Mulvihill

Just check on my Linux web page on French Canadian keyboards, this would
be the same thing. Those compose keys &*&&?$?, use .Xmodmap which work
and fixup the .map file for console use. I describe the procedure in detail
in both French and English.

--
Tann du plantage avec Ti-Mou?
C'est l'temps d'essayer Linux

1. mapping compose key on QWERTY keyboards ?

I'm running Linux with a keyboard without a 'compose' key.
I've been unable to remap it using loadkeys or keymap... man pages are
quite discrete on the topic...
I need to type accentuated characters (French). Could somebody help me ?
I'm sure there's not so much for remapping this compose key; but I've
been failing miserably.

Please somebody help me. I don't want to reboot to Win/95/Word each type
I need to type a document with proper spelling (accents / diacritical
marks) !!

--

Arakne Corp., Arakne SARL
tel US: +1 860 741 2999, tel FR: +33 555 292 690

2. Building a Linux Box - comments?

3. How do I map Compose key to a ctrl-key combo?

4. Smart Card's to run Linux?

5. how to map keyboard keys to sun keyboard ?

6. Initial Partitioning

7. Compose button on keyboard

8. inet_aton and inet_ntoa under Solaris7/8

9. 'Compose' key for multilanguage support with U.S. keyboard & ISO 8859-1 chars?

10. missing compose key on us keyboard

11. compose key on type 5 keyboard

12. Keyboard mapping-HELP!!

13. mapping extended keyboard keys in vi/ksh