Netscape & TT fonts (part II)

Post by Bill Waddingto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello,

I am running RH6.1 w/Netscape and Gnome from that release.  I had
success making TT fonts available by following the info at
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/FDU-2.html.

Somehow, on one of two identical installs, I have caused the Netscape
toolbars (back button, etc) to use a giant font that doesn't allow
display of all the toolbar funtions within a full-sized window.  This is
also happening with the Gnome login prompt, but that isn't particularly
a problem.

I know how to set the font and size for displayed html within Netscape,
and for text windows under Gnome(enlightenment), but have no idea where
the font size is set for Netscape toolbars.  Any help is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks to all
Bill

--
Bill Waddington

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Netscape & TT fonts (part II)

Post by Hal Burgi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000 15:37:49 GMT, Bill Waddington

>I am running RH6.1 w/Netscape and Gnome from that release.  I had
>success making TT fonts available by following the info at
>http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/FDU-2.html.

>Somehow, on one of two identical installs, I have caused the Netscape
>toolbars (back button, etc) to use a giant font that doesn't allow
>display of all the toolbar funtions within a full-sized window.  This
>is also happening with the Gnome login prompt, but that isn't
>particularly a problem.

>I know how to set the font and size for displayed html within Netscape,
>and for text windows under Gnome(enlightenment), but have no idea where
>the font size is set for Netscape toolbars.  Any help is greatly
>appreciated.

Have you added any lines to .Xdefaults for NS font handling? This is the
only way I know to do this. Also, removing the lines doesn't necessarily
revert back to the old font. See if have a Netscape.ad file, then find
the appropriate font definition line (good luck), and put that in
.Xdefaults.

--
Hal B

--

Netscape & TT fonts (part II)

Post by J. Edward Hurs » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

wrote regarding Netscape & TT fonts (part II):

Quote:> Hello,
> I am running RH6.1 w/Netscape and Gnome from that release.  I had
> success making TT fonts available by following the info at
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/FDU-2.html.
> Somehow, on one of two identical installs, I have caused the Netscape
> toolbars (back button, etc) to use a giant font that doesn't allow
> display of all the toolbar funtions within a full-sized window.  This
is
> also happening with the Gnome login prompt, but that isn't
particularly
> a problem.
> I know how to set the font and size for displayed html within
Netscape,
> and for text windows under Gnome(enlightenment), but have no idea
where
> the font size is set for Netscape toolbars.  Any help is greatly
> appreciated.
> Thanks to all
> Bill

Using the clues from the FDU Howto, you should look at your X fontpath
and reverse the order of the misc. fonts.  List the 75dpi first, and
the 100dpi second.

Ed

Netscape & TT fonts (part II)

Post by Bill Waddingto » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

> On 2/16/00, 9:37:49 AM, Bill Waddington

Quote:> =20
> wrote regarding Netscape & TT fonts (part II):

> > Hello,

> > I am running RH6.1 w/Netscape and Gnome from that release.  I had
> > success making TT fonts available by following the info at
> > http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/FDU-2.html.

> > Somehow, on one of two identical installs, I have caused the
Netscape
> > toolbars (back button, etc) to use a giant font that doesn't allow
> > display of all the toolbar funtions within a full-sized window.
This =

> is
> > also happening with the Gnome login prompt, but that isn't=20
> particularly
> > a problem.

> > I know how to set the font and size for displayed html within=20
> Netscape,
> > and for text windows under Gnome(enlightenment), but have no idea=20
> where
> > the font size is set for Netscape toolbars.  Any help is greatly
> > appreciated.

> > Thanks to all
> > Bill

> Using the clues from the FDU Howto, you should look at your X
fontpath=20
> and reverse the order of the misc. fonts.  List the 75dpi first,
and=20
> the 100dpi second.

> Ed

Many thanks to Hal and Ed for the quick responses.  Ed gets the prize
this time.  Swapping the 100dpi and 75dpi fonts did the trick. What's
odd is that both machines (actually two HDs on the same machine) had
identical .Xdefaults and /etc/X11/fs/config files.  I'm a happy (but
confused) camper.

Thanks again,
Bill

PS - I'm doing the two drive thing so I can use one to load the 2.3.43
kernel and start working with Steven Tweedie's kiobuf stuff.  Is this a
reasonable way to preserve bootability while working with a development
kernel?  I'm hoping I can always fall back on the vanilla OS and use it
to manipulate files on the development OS if worst comes to worst.

TX again (again)
--
Bill Waddington

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. TT Fonts in Netscape

How do I get Netscape to recognise my TT fonts? Do I have to define
aliases for them?
Under View-->Character Set-->, I can see a whole list of encodings, but
I can't seem to define them. For example, I would like to define MingLiu
for the Traditional Chinese, but I cant do it under
Preferences-->Appearance-->Fonts because Traditional fonts is not an
option there.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Failover Architecture, How to?

3. TT fonts and XFree80 4.01, and the old Netscape question

4. vt issues after mandrake 7.2 upgrade

5. screwy font scaling with tt fonts

6. X 3.2 Help!

7. xanim and Netscape: Part II

8. X and diamond stealth II S220 video card

9. slackware & netscape & fonts

10. Linux questions & problems Part II (continued)

11. Help with CDROM & Sybase, part II ...%^)

12. sed'ers & awk'ers part II - help!

13. 2.6 & CD ROM Woes - Part II