installing RH4.0 on ide/scsi system ?

Post by Robb Dieh » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

For what it's worth, the system is mixed; CD is IDE/ATAPI, and an
adaptec 2940uw controls a 2GB seagate SCSI with 1GB waiting for linux,
the other gig is lost to win95.  The RH4.0 CDROM distribution is dated
12/96 from InfoMagic.  (Incidentally, both RH and Slackware are giving
me trouble; _this_ post concerns RH only.)  I'm having what seems a
common problem - RH installation/boot fails on Autoprobe (go figure) but
is also unable to detect the controller when I shoot it specific io and
irq parameters (i.e. aha2940=0xblah,blah...I'm supposing I've got this
right).

I've proably left out some important detail(s) (oops) so let me know
what additional info I can provide.  I've read a lot of documentation
and news trying to solve this so I'll appreciate any help.

Many thanks,    Robb

--
Robert Diehl
Illinois Natural History Survey

installing RH4.0 on ide/scsi system ?

Post by Derek Wel » Fri, 25 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>For what it's worth, the system is mixed; CD is IDE/ATAPI, and an
>adaptec 2940uw controls a 2GB seagate SCSI with 1GB waiting for linux,
>the other gig is lost to win95.  The RH4.0 CDROM distribution is dated
>12/96 from InfoMagic.  (Incidentally, both RH and Slackware are giving
>me trouble; _this_ post concerns RH only.)  I'm having what seems a
>common problem - RH installation/boot fails on Autoprobe (go figure) but
>is also unable to detect the controller when I shoot it specific io and
>irq parameters (i.e. aha2940=0xblah,blah...I'm supposing I've got this
>right).

I have just done a similar install using RH4.1(UK PCW Coverdisk) , ide
cdrom adaptec 2940UW (bios  enabled via ^A on boot i.e. as configured
straight out of the box, card in a bus mastering slot on PCI
motherboard) and 2Gb drive.

I used rawrite.exe  to create a boot floppy and then just followed the
instructions i.e. install from IDE CDROM.Biggest mistake I made was to
opt  for choosing packages, so install everything. (assumes you have
the disk space) this finally rebooted in a state where I could type
startx and we're in linux ala 95.  Incidently when I eventually
followed the simplest route I found setup to be a lot easier than
novell / nt /95

In all honesty reading the FAQs caused me more confusion than anything
else, just by the shear quantity of advice, I have found them more use
now the system is running.

Now I do have a problems with netscape and java which libc is it
...... :-(

Good luck

Derek

>I've proably left out some important detail(s) (oops) so let me know
>what additional info I can provide.  I've read a lot of documentation
>and news trying to solve this so I'll appreciate any help.

>Many thanks,    Robb

>--
>Robert Diehl
>Illinois Natural History Survey
>607 E. Peabody Dr.
>Champaign, IL 61820  US

1. Help! IDE errors during RH4.1 install

I am trying to install RedHat 4.1 on 386DX-40 with 340mb IDE Seagate.
Bios is Phoenix 1992.

During the install, after formatting, I get the following error message:
MOUNT FAILED - INVALID ARGUMENT.

This Seagate drive has 768 cyls, 14 heads, 62 sectors (ST3390A).
It is a standalone-drive.  The drive is configured as ONE DRIVE ONLY.
It is a pre-EIDE drive with standard IDE controller card.

I've tried installing 5 times, with identical results.
Has anyone encountered this problem?

2. NC like program (Norton Commander)

3. Redhat 5.2 cannot install on IDE-SCSI system (LILO bug)

4. telnet and timeout

5. Problem install 2nd IDE drive in a SCSI system

6. epson stylus color 600 under Slackware

7. Installing on IDE/SCSI system

8. Boot strap , help ?

9. How to install Linux on a System with 2 IDE + 2 SCSI Disks

10. SCSI & IDE system install problems - help

11. Who to install Linux on a System with 4 HDs IDE & SCSI

12. Installing IDE HD in a SCSI system

13. Install hangs (Storm, Mandrake7.1) - mixed scsi/ide system.