Pentium 200 MMX or AMD K6 233 CPU Upgrade???

Pentium 200 MMX or AMD K6 233 CPU Upgrade???

Post by Steve Gasbar » Sat, 02 May 1998 04:00:00

I will soon inherit a Pentium 90 system and was looking in the Libi
Industries "Multimedia CPU Upgrade Kit" and using either a Pentium MMX 200
or an AMD K6 233.  Is there any compatibility problems using Linux and the
AMD CPU?  Any benefit using the Intel CPU (no jokes please)?  Any hints?

I'll probably try out some 3D games - Wipeout XL, POD, Quake - but,
hopefully will spend more time seeing just what Linux can do.

Thanks for any response!

Pentium 200 MMX or AMD K6 233 CPU Upgrade???

Post by Perry.Fect.. » Sat, 02 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I will soon inherit a Pentium 90 system and was looking in the Libi
>Industries "Multimedia CPU Upgrade Kit" and using either a Pentium MMX 200
>or an AMD K6 233.  Is there any compatibility problems using Linux and the
>AMD CPU?  Any benefit using the Intel CPU (no jokes please)?  Any hints?

k6 baby!

-------------------- http://w3.nai.net/~perfecto -------------------------
                 Perry Fecteau's Blueprints to Success.
-------------------- http://w3.nai.net/~perfecto -------------------------

Pentium 200 MMX or AMD K6 233 CPU Upgrade???

Post by Matt Mill » Sat, 02 May 1998 04:00:00

The K6 is a great processor.  It works fine with Linux and should be
signifigantly faster than the Intel P200.

I also play Quake with it and it runs very fast, (but my 3d board accounts
for a lot of this).

--
Unsolicited commercial emails sent to this address will be charged a $100 (US) proof-reading fee.  Non-payment will result in your account being submitted to a collection agency.

Pentium 200 MMX or AMD K6 233 CPU Upgrade???

Post by Simon Ga » Tue, 12 May 1998 04:00:00

K6, period.

> I will soon inherit a Pentium 90 system and was looking in the Libi
> Industries "Multimedia CPU Upgrade Kit" and using either a Pentium MMX 200
> or an AMD K6 233.  Is there any compatibility problems using Linux and the
> AMD CPU?  Any benefit using the Intel CPU (no jokes please)?  Any hints?

> I'll probably try out some 3D games - Wipeout XL, POD, Quake - but,
> hopefully will spend more time seeing just what Linux can do.

> Thanks for any response!

Pentium 200 MMX or AMD K6 233 CPU Upgrade???

Post by Perry.Fect.. » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

seconded.  go k6.  cheaper and better.

>K6, period.

>> I will soon inherit a Pentium 90 system and was looking in the Libi
>> Industries "Multimedia CPU Upgrade Kit" and using either a Pentium MMX 200
>> or an AMD K6 233.  Is there any compatibility problems using Linux and the
>> AMD CPU?  Any benefit using the Intel CPU (no jokes please)?  Any hints?

Pentium 200 MMX or AMD K6 233 CPU Upgrade???

Post by Brian S. Hil » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

I have an AMD processesor and it works fine.  Except for the frequent core
dumps... Oh and many things won't compile.

Yes.  That was sarcasm.  I won't waste my money on another AMD.  I don't
feel that the small savings between Intel and AMD,Cyrix etc. is worth the
headaches or time.  I'm going to buy Intel!

>seconded.  go k6.  cheaper and better.

>>K6, period.

>>> I will soon inherit a Pentium 90 system and was looking in the Libi
>>> Industries "Multimedia CPU Upgrade Kit" and using either a Pentium MMX
200
>>> or an AMD K6 233.  Is there any compatibility problems using Linux and
the
>>> AMD CPU?  Any benefit using the Intel CPU (no jokes please)?  Any hints?

Pentium 200 MMX or AMD K6 233 CPU Upgrade???

Yes K6,  that's what I have and I'm very happy :)

Post by Roland Gerlac » Thu, 14 May 1998 04:00:00

> seconded.  go k6.  cheaper and better.

> >K6, period.

> >> I will soon inherit a Pentium 90 system and was looking in the Libi
> >> Industries "Multimedia CPU Upgrade Kit" and using either a Pentium
> >> MMX 200 or an AMD K6 233.  Is there any compatibility problems
> >> using Linux and the AMD CPU?  Any benefit using the Intel CPU (no
> >> jokes please)?  Any hints?

Thirded - My 233MHz K6 is an absolute screamer.

No problems running linux on this system.

Check out:
http://www.zdnet.com/zdhelp/dl_help/speedrate/speedrate.html
Find Compare System Speed and go to Typical Systems.
A 233MHz K6 would probably beat a 200MHz Pentium Pro.

Cheers,
Roland.
--
Roland Gerlach          ,-_|\                 Tell me and I'll forget;
ePOST/OPEN             / .au \             show me and I may remember;

Pentium 200 MMX or AMD K6 233 CPU Upgrade???

Post by nu.. » Fri, 15 May 1998 04:00:00

AMD K6 233 is faster, cheaper and less buggy, as AMD products usually are.

>I have an AMD processesor and it works fine.  Except for the frequent core
>dumps... Oh and many things won't compile.

I do use AMD K6-200 overclocked to 233 and it works without
"core dumps". Thus, I think you probably have another source
of problems than original AMD K6.

Quote:>Yes.  That was sarcasm.  I won't waste my money on another AMD.  I don't
>feel that the small savings between Intel and AMD,Cyrix etc. is worth the
>headaches or time.  I'm going to buy Intel!

Cant agree. Almost all the time I am surrounded by AMD CPUs and
they work fine.

So, dont misled people. AMD is a good thing.

* * *

Roman Suzi

 --        http://sampo.karelia.ru/~rnd        --
--  Roman A. Suzi * Petrozavodsk Karelia Russia --
 --  This letter was mailed by Pine for Linux  --

Post by M. Buchenried » Fri, 15 May 1998 04:00:00

>AMD K6 233 is faster, cheaper and less buggy, as AMD products usually are.

>>I have an AMD processesor and it works fine.  Except for the frequent core
>>dumps... Oh and many things won't compile.

This is almost certainly not a general AMD problem, but a problem with
your local config.

I upgraded my oldish P133 to a nice AMD K6/233 (new board as well),
and it has been running without any problems whatsoever since then
(24/7 machine running 2.0.32) .

Michael
--

       Lumber Cartel Unit #456 (TINLC) and Official Net.Scum

Pentium 200 MMX or AMD K6 233 CPU Upgrade???

Post by Monte Li » Sat, 16 May 1998 04:00:00

I assume K6 is O.K. if you buy packaged version directly out from AMD. I
heard from a friend who said there is one or two big guy had their system
installed with K6 that is broken in the manufacturing process. Usually the
problem is with one or two pins output or input strange AC/DC level. To use
this kind of chip, the motherboard needs some special patch work. It's 100%
O.K if you buy this kind of system and use it as is. But if you take the
CPU out to install on ohter's mainboard, you are going to have big trouble.
My friend's company is the on of the  biggest OEM manufacturer around the
world. So you can believe what he said. So, don't buy any customized K6
package.

> >> I will soon inherit a Pentium 90 system and was looking in the Libi
> >> Industries "Multimedia CPU Upgrade Kit" and using either a Pentium MMX
200
> >> or an AMD K6 233.  Is there any compatibility problems using Linux and
the
> >> AMD CPU?  Any benefit using the Intel CPU (no jokes please)?  Any
hints?

Pentium 200 MMX or AMD K6 233 CPU Upgrade???

Post by Ra » Sat, 16 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I have an AMD processesor and it works fine.  Except for the frequent core
>dumps... Oh and many things won't compile.

>Yes.  That was sarcasm.  I won't waste my money on another AMD.  I don't
>feel that the small savings between Intel and AMD,Cyrix etc. is worth the
>headaches or time.  I'm going to buy Intel!

So what makes you think that the problem is the CPU?

--
Ray

Post by ma » Tue, 19 May 1998 04:00:00

> I assume K6 is O.K. if you buy packaged version directly out from AMD. I
> heard from a friend who said there is one or two big guy had their system
> installed with K6 that is broken in the manufacturing process. Usually the
> problem is with one or two pins output or input strange AC/DC level. To use
> this kind of chip, the motherboard needs some special patch work. It's 100%
> O.K if you buy this kind of system and use it as is. But if you take the
> CPU out to install on ohter's mainboard, you are going to have big trouble.
> My friend's company is the on of the  biggest OEM manufacturer around the
> world. So you can believe what he said. So, don't buy any customized K6
> package.

> 200
> the
> hints?

We are AMD dealers and we have an "AMD 233" on a server at our internet site
the past three months.Its works well .Our NT server has an "AMD" 300 and its
works well .
We had a core dump problem with an intel 166 MMX,the problem was the "kernel" .

The "AMD" is as fast as a P-233(on 32-bit system)with the correct mainboard .

MA

1. Pentium Pro 200 vs Pentium 200 MMX

I am planning to buy a Pentium System soon.
The choice I have to make is Pentium Pro 200 vs Pentium 133/166/200 MMX.

Is there any mega performance difference between these two processors?

Besides Intel is coming out with Pentium II in few months. Is is it
worth going for a Pentium Pro for the cost?

Does linux work well on it( Pentium Pro )?

Thank you for any pointers, information and advice.

Subba.Rao

2. RedHat ES 3.0 send mail does sendmail need to be on

3. Test, don't read

4. 233 Pentium MMX, 266 K6, 266 6x86MX, IDT ?

5. where can i get a free copy of gcc?

6. Upgrading AS 200/166 -> AS 200/233

7. Converting between Linux's

8. AMD K6-2 533 Mhz for Pentium 233 Mhz: does it work?

9. 3Dnow! Re: AMD K6 233 Cpu 465 BogoMips??

10. P55C/200 -> K6/233

11. performance diff. for 233/200 k6, edo/sdram

12. Overclocking Pentiums 200->250, 233->290?