cdrom problems installing RH4.1

Post by Austin Thompso » Mon, 21 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I am trying to install Red Hat 4.1 and I can't get it to see my CD-ROM.
It is a Sony CDU33A hooked up through a Sound Blaster 16.  I have tried
most of the drivers the setup offers of course including
Soundblaster/Panasonic and Sony CDU31A and ATAPI.  Nothing finds it on a
probe, even when I specify 0x230 as the address range.  I can't figure
out the IRQ from 95 (I'm not a newbie to that), so I put 0 for searching
like some manual said.  I read somewhere else I'm supposed to switch a
jumper on my cdrom or card to put it from ide2 or 3 to ide1 and this
will fix it.  I have looked over my card and cdrom and find no jumpers
for that, only irq and some others that don't look like what I need.
Any help would be greatly appreciated... TIA

Austin Thompson
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~austhomp

Post by William R. Matti » Mon, 21 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> I am trying to install Red Hat 4.1 and I can't get it to see my CD-ROM.
> It is a Sony CDU33A hooked up through a Sound Blaster 16.  I have tried
> most of the drivers the setup offers of course including
> Soundblaster/Panasonic and Sony CDU31A and ATAPI.  Nothing finds it on a
> probe, even when I specify 0x230 as the address range.  I can't figure
> out the IRQ from 95 (I'm not a newbie to that), so I put 0 for searching
> like some manual said.  I read somewhere else I'm supposed to switch a
> jumper on my cdrom or card to put it from ide2 or 3 to ide1 and this
> will fix it.  I have looked over my card and cdrom and find no jumpers
> for that, only irq and some others that don't look like what I need.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated... TIA

> Austin Thompson
> http://www.public.iastate.edu/~austhomp

Try putting the cdrom on your PC's IDE, disable the SB IDE. Worked 4 me

--
William R. Mattil

(972) 256-3219

cdrom problems installing RH4.1

Post by Valkyri » Sat, 26 Apr 1997 04:00:00

WOW, I can't believe I haven't noticed your post since Sunday.  I have
the EXACT same configuration as you.  Sony CDU33a (I/O: 0x230, IRQ: 0)
with an SB16 running Redhat 4.1.  This is actually an error in RedHat
4.x and was in an erratum a few months back, but it's no problem to
fix.  During the install, choose these options:

Installation Method Page : Local CDROM
Insert CD Page: Insert RH4 CD and choose OK
CDROM Type Page: Other CDROM
Load Module/Choose Driver Page: Sony CDU-31a (yes that's 31 not 33)
Options Page: Specify Options

Here's the tricky part, the screen should have:

IO base, IRQ, PAS: cdu31a=
Misc. :

on the IO base line, delete the "=" sign and type the underscore "_"
followed by "port=0x230,0"
When finished it should all look like:

IO base, IRQ, PAS: cdu31a_port=0x230,0
Misc. :

leave the Misc blank empty.  Go to OK and that should do it.  By the
way, if your CD-ROM's address is not 230, just substitute it in the
parameter (ie. 0x340,0).

Have fun installing...

Valkyrie

> I am trying to install Red Hat 4.1 and I can't get it to see my CD-ROM.
> It is a Sony CDU33A hooked up through a Sound Blaster 16.  I have tried
> most of the drivers the setup offers of course including
> Soundblaster/Panasonic and Sony CDU31A and ATAPI.  Nothing finds it on a
> probe, even when I specify 0x230 as the address range.  I can't figure
> out the IRQ from 95 (I'm not a newbie to that), so I put 0 for searching
> like some manual said.  I read somewhere else I'm supposed to switch a
> jumper on my cdrom or card to put it from ide2 or 3 to ide1 and this
> will fix it.  I have looked over my card and cdrom and find no jumpers
> for that, only irq and some others that don't look like what I need.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated... TIA

> Austin Thompson
> http://www.public.iastate.edu/~austhomp

1. RH4.0 Install Probs - CDROM Read Error

I'm attempting to install RedHat 4.0 from the CD on my [pathetic] Sony CDU31A..
I get as far as the [attempted] installation of the base packages..

running: "gunzip < /tmp/rhimage/RedHat/base/skeleton.cgz | cpio -iumd
--quiet 2>/dev/tty5 >/dev/tty5"

produces this:

<4>CDU31A: Read error: 0x01
<4>CDU31A: Read error: 0x01
<4>CDU31A: Read error: 0x01
<4>CDU31A: Read error: 0x01
<4>end_request: I/O error, dev 0f:00, sector 82490   <- increases 2 sectors
                                                        after every 4 attempts

After the installer tries this for a while I get "cannot open RPM file
setup-1.7.1.i386.rpm: No such file or directory"

Sounds like a bad cdrom? my drive can read other disks just fine..

ANY help appriciated.. Thanks.

Jon LeCroy

2. Linux Net Doom probs..

3. RH4.1 atapi cdrom problem

4. Why did Gateway Net-surfing device fail?

5. Problems installing by CDROM/Problems installing by DOS partition

6. Sorting output of 'ls' command by file extension?

7. HELP: RH4.0 and WD7193 install problem

8. distributed MAKE?

9. Problem installing RH4.2 on an Aptiva

10. AHA1510A problem with RH4.1 install

11. HELP!! RH4.1 Install problems

12. RH4 PCMCIA NFS Install problem...

13. AHA1510A problem with RH4.1 install