setting up the default route

Post by Greg Lewi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am using kppp to connect to my ISP. Even though I select "Set as
Default Route" in the setup, when I do a route after my connection, the
default is still to the ethernet card. Even if I supply the defaultroute
option specifically to kppp (the is a special window for options), it
still doesn't work, and I have to su root and add the default manually:

route add default gw 128.x.x.x dev ppp0

Any thoughts of how to get around this?

  greglewin.vcf
< 1K Download

1. Two interfaces: Set default default route?

OK, I have two interfaces, one slow, one fast.  I want to use the fast
one as the default (obviously), but I need to have the other one
available for some people that can only reach me through that one.
How can I tell the machine to use the fast one by default.  Am I
correct in saying that if I nix the default route for the slow
connection that people from the slow net that are not on the same
subnet would not be able to contact me?

Thanks!

--Dan

2. Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 6 of 6)

3. Default Route always sets default interface

4. error compiling satan

5. pppd not setting up default route in routing table

6. Looking for opinions, advice on redundancy strategy

7. tcp/ip routing question - setting the default route beyond the local router?

8. linux netowrk drives

9. Best way to set up the default route?

10. diald did not set default route

11. setting up the default route

12. cannot set the default route in a rh9 box

13. how to set default route with tru64?