time won't "remember"

Post by Lind » Tue, 27 Nov 2001 03:23:25

I am dual-booting Red Hat 7.0 with Windows 98.
I've recently noticed that even though I use the 'date' command to set
the time that when I boot up, Linux is showing the wrong time, eg if
it's 1pm, Linux shows it as 6am.

Anyone have any idea what is wrong?

THanks.

time won't "remember"

Post by bowma » Tue, 27 Nov 2001 04:48:37

> I've recently noticed that even though I use the 'date' command to set
> the time that when I boot up, Linux is showing the wrong time, eg if
> it's 1pm, Linux shows it as 6am.

> Anyone have any idea what is wrong?

Is your timezone set correctly? The 7 hour difference sounds like a mixup
between UTC/GMT and MST.

time won't "remember"

Post by Charles Sulliva » Tue, 27 Nov 2001 05:22:49

> I am dual-booting Red Hat 7.0 with Windows 98. I've recently noticed
> that even though I use the 'date' command to set the time that when I
> boot up, Linux is showing the wrong time, eg if it's 1pm, Linux shows it
> as 6am.

> Anyone have any idea what is wrong?

> THanks.

The Linux system time you set with 'date' needs to be written to the
hardware clock, otherwise it is forgotten when you reboot.  As root,
run:
# hwclock --systohc

Also, since you are dual-booting with Win 98, make sure Linux is
NOT configured to use GMT.  As root, run:
# /usr/sbin/timeconfig

time won't "remember"

Post by bdwy.. » Tue, 27 Nov 2001 10:09:41

On Sun, 25 Nov 2001 20:22:49 GMT, Charles Sullivan

>> I am dual-booting Red Hat 7.0 with Windows 98. I've recently noticed
>> that even though I use the 'date' command to set the time that when I
>> boot up, Linux is showing the wrong time, eg if it's 1pm, Linux shows it
>> as 6am.

>> Anyone have any idea what is wrong?

>> THanks.

>The Linux system time you set with 'date' needs to be written to the
>hardware clock, otherwise it is forgotten when you reboot.  As root,
>run:
># hwclock --systohc

>Also, since you are dual-booting with Win 98, make sure Linux is
>NOT configured to use GMT.  As root, run:
># /usr/sbin/timeconfig

Ah, that jogged a memory cell. I booted into Win98 and changed the
time there, and made sure not to use GMT in Linux. Now it works again.
Thanks.

My machine: P166+mmx, 32mb ram, 4gb HD with Win95 and Win NT 4.0 and
redhat5.1 co-existed in different partitions.

I issued "sndconfig" within a xterm inside X Window, The program
detects the SB 16 pnp card sets it up with no error message, but when
it launch ModProbe to test out, it gets a message states: An error was
encountered running the ModProbe program."  I tried different IRQ
settings, all ends with the same message.

2nd, When I try to mount /dev/cdrom from File Systerm Manager, the
following error is returned:  Can't find /dev/hdb in /etc/mtab or
/etc/fstab.

3nd, When my machine boots, it halts at "Sendmail" for about 3-5 mins
before it goes to next step.  Obviously there isn't any mail system on
the machine right now because it is a standalone.  How can take this
mail thing out and speed up booting?

last one, Is my Zoom 56k PCI FaxModem a Windmodem that Linux can't use
to connect me to my local isp?

Experts help me out please. thanks.

2. kbhit ( ) function in g++?

4. AIX cron Problem ????

5. Second drive (/dev/fd1) won't "DO IT" and "DO IT"

6. Red Hat can't find NICs

7. Does select return "read ready" or "won't block" status?

8. Job vacancy-UK

9. "syslogd: unknown priority "24" " error - won't boot!

10. Second drive (dev/fd1) won't "DO IT" and "DO IT"

11. How does "Time Synch Protocol" relate to "Network Time Protocol"?

12. Enlightenment "remembering" with 'wine - managed' problems

13. quirk: man won't man "w" won't "w" and no telnet