RH5.2 wont get past the initial boot prompt during installation

RH5.2 wont get past the initial boot prompt during installation

Post by James Vaugh » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I am having trouble installing redhat linux 5.2  It will boot initially from
either cdrom directly / or from floppy but when it gets to the boot: prompt
and I press enter it starts to boot the kernel but then a bunch of words
flash by and it restarts my machine then starts all over from the
beginning(it will do this over and over) it does this when I type in
"expert" also. It seems to be an error message but it goes by too fast to
read. .I am running an amd k6 200mmx with 32M ram(EDO SIMM) on a M5ATA super
tx motherboard.
two hard drives a western digital caviar 6.4(master) and a seagate medalist
2.1(slave) Award modular bios version 4.51 and win95(OSR2)(Fat32) I have
tried totally reformatting both drives fat16, changing cmos settings such as
turning off cpu cache, udma,APM and so on it does the same thing.The only
thing that I can pick up when this happens is something about PCI but I cant
tell what.I am interested in trying linux but cant seem to get off the
ground.any help would be greatly appreciated.
                                                  James Vaughn

RH5.2 wont get past the initial boot prompt during installation

Post by Dave Atkin » Sat, 30 Jan 1999 04:00:00

You ejected the CDROM while it was rebooting, right?  Unless you remove
the CD, it will try to keep reinstalling because it is booting from the
CD.  I had this annoyance too...also, you have to hit the eject button
after shutdown and before it starts to boot because you cannot eject the
CD until it has been "unmounted" by the shutdown.

See my many problems with Award BIOS and Western Digital hard drives in
the thread about "...no active partition..."

Dave Atkins

> I am having trouble installing redhat linux 5.2  It will boot initially from
> either cdrom directly / or from floppy but when it gets to the boot: prompt
> and I press enter it starts to boot the kernel but then a bunch of words
> flash by and it restarts my machine then starts all over from the
> beginning(it will do this over and over) it does this when I type in
> "expert" also. It seems to be an error message but it goes by too fast to
> read. .I am running an amd k6 200mmx with 32M ram(EDO SIMM) on a M5ATA super
> tx motherboard.
> two hard drives a western digital caviar 6.4(master) and a seagate medalist
> 2.1(slave) Award modular bios version 4.51 and win95(OSR2)(Fat32) I have
> tried totally reformatting both drives fat16, changing cmos settings such as
> turning off cpu cache, udma,APM and so on it does the same thing.The only
> thing that I can pick up when this happens is something about PCI but I cant
> tell what.I am interested in trying linux but cant seem to get off the
> ground.any help would be greatly appreciated.
>                                                   James Vaughn

1. Kernel not getting past boot (can't open initial console)

Anyone know how to fix this?  As soon as the kernel decompresses, and
searches for hardware, etc, it complains about not being able to find an
initial console.  Then, it tries to run rc.sysinit, but since the
filesystem is read-only at this point, a write to /dev/null fails.  Then
it locks.

I know it's my fault :) I was upgrading some stuff from Mandrake Cooker.
What could possibly cause the message "Unable to open initial console" to
appear.  I upgraded glibc, and MAKEDEV, among many other things.

Also complains about not being able to dup2() some descriptor, but I
assume that's related to not being able to open a console.

Any info appreciated,
Steve

2. Autoconf and separated include/sources issues

3. Getting Past Password Prompt in Script

4. Q: aliases file unsafe

5. Wont Boot past login

6. Toshiba 440CDX

7. can't get past boot: prompt

8. I got a Question about E-mail

9. RH 8.0 hangs during installation of packages and during installation.

10. errors during initial boot

11. newbie, bootmngr wont install during installation

12. New: Rebooting of pentium-I during initial booting phase.