setting up a mailling lists like - listserv

setting up a mailling lists like - listserv

Post by AC » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello,
I am in school in a TCP/IP class.
We are working on red hat 6 systems.
We are beginning to search for information on setting up a
server for mailing lists. someting like listserv.

I am usually able to do a search and find the various mini how to files
on the internet. everytime I try a search for trying to find the how to
files
for listserv, all I get are links to signup on.

Is there a good web site or ftp site with all the mini how tos for
linux?
I have ordered the book Managing mailing lists from O'Reilly. It will
take about 5 to 10 business days. I would like to find info before the
book comes in, so I have a little info for the classes. I will have at
least 2 classes before the book comes in.

Any places to check out, please drop a line or post it to the group.
I am doing this from a school lab, so do not reply to this post
directly.

Thanks

Post by Mark Mcgah » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hello,
> I am in school in a TCP/IP class.
> We are working on red hat 6 systems.
> We are beginning to search for information on setting up a
> server for mailing lists. someting like listserv.

Listserv is one software option but others include mailman, smartmail,
and majordomo.  I have used majordomo personally; it is easy to setup
and requires little post-setup work.

Quote:> Is there a good web site or ftp site with all the mini how tos for
> linux?

Try ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/linux/slackware-7.0/docs/

Post by Bruce W. Mohle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hello,
> I am in school in a TCP/IP class.
> We are working on red hat 6 systems.
> We are beginning to search for information on setting up a
> server for mailing lists. someting like listserv.

> I am usually able to do a search and find the various mini how to files
> on the internet. everytime I try a search for trying to find the how to
> files
> for listserv, all I get are links to signup on.

> Is there a good web site or ftp site with all the mini how tos for
> linux?
> I have ordered the book Managing mailing lists from O'Reilly. It will
> take about 5 to 10 business days. I would like to find info before the
> book comes in, so I have a little info for the classes. I will have at
> least 2 classes before the book comes in.

> Any places to check out, please drop a line or post it to the group.
> I am doing this from a school lab, so do not reply to this post
> directly.

> Thanks

If you're looking for a good book on administering mailing lists, check
out _Managing Mailing Lists_ from O'Reilly and Associates.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mailing/

Bruce

--
Bruce W. Mohler     <><        858-826-2675 (voice)
SAIC/ITS/Server Support        858-826-7806 (fax)

Of course my password is the same as my pet's name.
My dog's name is ony6^trop, but I change it every 90 days.

1. Mailing List without a Listserv?

I would like to establish a mailing list for a number of people, so that
anyone would be able to mail a particular address and for the message to
be distributed to all the people that are on the list.

I do not want to run a Listserv or something like procmail, I am after a
simpler solution than this (if there is one, that is :)

and it arrives in every COMP1811 student's mailbox - all I am after is to

address which would direct the one message to multiple users.

I have been told of an aliases file, (/etc/aliases?), but seeing as I do
not have permissions on this file, it's not much good to me.

Thanks in advance.

__
 __ __ _ _ __  ___ _ _ ___ _ _
/ _/ _` | '  \/ -_) '_/ _ \ ' \
\__\__,_|_|_|_\___|_| \___/_||_|

2. 1 * zTtNsCtEm-core file debugging...

3. E-mailing list: Is using .forward an alternative to Listserv?

4. Resource temporarily unavailable on OpenServer

5. Mailing lists (LISTSERV) about Linux ?

6. Memory

7. MAILING-LIST: Linuxisp Mailing list

8. ide problem w/ quantum lct20 & intel 815 mb

9. MAILING LIST: Internet mailing list managers

10. LOCAL/MAILING-LIST: Mailing list for Greek Linux Users

11. MAILING-LIST: new Cyclades Users mailing list

12. MAILING-LIST: Frontpage/Linux Mailing List

13. MAILING-LIST: Linux Women's Mailing List Now Online