hostname limit?

Post by Chuck Lawrenc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

please excuse if this is in a faq somewhere...

I'm accustomed to unix setups having the 8 character hostname limit.  is
linux similarly encumbered?

ad<thanks>ance

1. hostname length limits?

 I'm curious; what are the length limits for hostname's under
 most recent versions of UNIX (Linux, HP-UX, Solaris, AIX)?

 What are the likely symptoms of setting the hostname too long?

 Horror stories?  Testing tricks?

 (This is DNS and the local 'hostname' command: NIS* et al are
 not under consideration in this case; however any caveats
 would be appreciated).

2. socket-write(), pthreads, Solaris5.5 vs. 5.6 -> Fehler

3. hostname and hostname -s

4. Kernel 2.2.2 VS Busmouse

5. Use hostname or hostname.domain.name in /etc/hosts??

6. How to stop logging of denied ipfwadm connections?

7. hostname.hme0 or hostname.hme1

8. How do I submit a bug for Sun's C Compiler?

9. Boot error message: My unqualified hostname (hostname) unknown; sleeping for retry...

10. HELP: hostname.leo; hostname files

11. What if I write ipaddress, not hostname in hostname.eri1?

12. hostname: can't find a FQDN for the hostname 'froz'

13. hostname.le0 and hostname.hme0