linux installed from CD but won't mount cd

linux installed from CD but won't mount cd

Post by Erik Kara » Sat, 08 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I installed yggdrasils linux from a cd and everything seemed to go well. Then when I rebooted
it wouldn't detect the cdrom so nothing works and I can't install anything.  I also updated
the kernel to the one I was able to install off of.  The cdrom is an Atapi ide cdrom which is
connected to hdd.
Any help would be appreciated
Erik

Post by MGM » Sun, 09 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>I installed yggdrasils linux from a cd and everything seemed to go well. Then when I rebooted
>it wouldn't detect the cdrom so nothing works and I can't install anything.  I also updated
>the kernel to the one I was able to install off of.  The cdrom is an Atapi ide cdrom which is
>connected to hdd.
>Any help would be appreciated
>Erik

I had the same problem before and it solved only by executing MAKEDEV.ide1
(in ~linux/drivers) and the reconfiguring the kernel and answer yes for the
isofs support.

good luck

Mostafa

linux installed from CD but won't mount cd

Post by Suad Musovi » Mon, 17 Jul 1995 04:00:00

OK, have you read the output at bootup CAREFULLY to see if has any message
regarding the drive (to see if there is any err.)

Have you added a line in your /etc/fstab ? ...type "man fstab" to reveal all.
mine goes:
/dev/hdb        /cdrom  iso9660 user,noauto,ro          1       1

have you tried to mount the drive for the first time?
make a directory in your root dir (eg mkdir /cdrom) then type:
mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/hdd /cdrom

If you get bad medicine soo far you might have to recompile the kernel to be
custom configured for your system (this is easier than it sounds - just
print the documention out and read,read,read)

: I installed yggdrasils linux from a cd and everything seemed to go well. Then when I rebooted
: it wouldn't detect the cdrom so nothing works and I can't install anything.  I also updated
: the kernel to the one I was able to install off of.  The cdrom is an Atapi ide cdrom which is
: connected to hdd.
: Any help would be appreciated
: Erik

linux installed from CD but won't mount cd

Post by roo » Tue, 18 Jul 1995 04:00:00

     I believe that the problem is what I encountered the first few times
that I installed Linux.  I installed from CD and everything went great.
When i got into Linux however, i could not access the CD, it would not
mount.  What you have to do is install the Q series and then choose the
kernel which corresponds to your CD setup.  I am using an SB with CD
so I used the sbpcd install disk.  Then when I get to the Q series I choose
the sbpcd kernel.  Everything worked fine after that!

1. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

        Hi, I just bought the Linux from Nascent CD-ROM and have been attempting
to install it on my 486DX2/66 machine.  I have a cardex SVGA card using a
Cirrus chipset and 1 meg of video ram.  I have 16 megs of 60-ns memory.  I also
have a local bus IDE hard drive controller (32-bit) running two 340-meg
western digital hard drives.  Oh, the video is local bus, too.  I also have
an IOMEGA floptical drive, as well as the almost expected 3.5" and 5.25"
floppies.  I also have a Soundblaster 16 sound card that is driving my CD-drive,
the setup that comes together in a multimedia pack, I forget the exact name,
but it is a fairly standard one.  It is a Panasonic cd-drive by the way.
A panasonic 54- something I think.  When I boot and root my way into Linux,
It won't mount my cd-drive.  Since the program files are all on CD, that
means I can't install.  I followed the instructions for fixing this problemm
in the manual, i.e. "mknod /dev/sbpcd b 25 0"
                    "ln -fs /dev/sbpcd /dev/cdrom"
This looked fine, but when I rebooted, Linux still wouldn't mount my drive.
I even tried getting new root and boot images via anonymous FTP and rawrite.
No dice.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike Van Camp

2. Uh Oh! I deleted 'termbin'

3. Won't detect and mount CD-ROM (Yggdrasil, cd-dependent)

4. How to grep for date?

5. replace cd-rom with CD-R / can't find mount CD-R drive

6. incredible service times on internal disks in Ultra 2

7. PLEEEASE help--Slackware won't install from/mount CD!

8. Linux 2.4.20pre3 breaks alsa 0.9.0.rc3

9. can't install linux- cd didn't come with driver for cd-rom

10. CD-ROM drive won't read Linux-Mandrake 6.0 cd

11. Linux-FT 1.0 won't see Teac CD-40E CD-ROM

12. RH 7.2 Won't play sound nor mount CD's