networking problem!

Post by Fung Wai Pan Bens » Fri, 26 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Dear all,

  if I get to connect to ISP via PPP using , dial-up, then can other user
login or telnet to my server at this siuation?

Full Name     : Fung Wai Pan Benson

WWW homepage  : http://dmc151.ust.hk/benson/index.html

networking problem!

Post by balthaza » Fri, 26 Apr 1996 04:00:00

 >Dear all,
 >
 >  if I get to connect to ISP via PPP using , dial-up, then can other user
 >login or telnet to my server at this siuation?
 >
 >
 >--
 >================================================================================
 >Full Name     : Fung Wai Pan Benson

 >WWW homepage  : http://www.veryComputer.com/
 >================================================================================

        Unless your ISP is an *retentive moron that packet
        filters to prevent it.

--

       "The only way to rid oneself of"
       "temptation is to yield to it"

networking problem!

Post by Tom Bil » Sun, 28 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Dear all,

>  if I get to connect to ISP via PPP using , dial-up, then can other user
>login or telnet to my server at this siuation?

Yes, but most likely your ISP uses dynamic IP assignment so your address will
change every time you log in, but yes people can telnet, ftp etc. to your
machine.

Tom Bilan

networking problem!

Post by Pat Traino » Sun, 05 May 1996 04:00:00

> >Dear all,

> >  if I get to connect to ISP via PPP using , dial-up, then can other user
> >login or telnet to my server at this siuation?

> Yes, but most likely your ISP uses dynamic IP assignment so your address will
> change every time you log in, but yes people can telnet, ftp etc. to your
> machine.

        What type of situation would call for a server on a dial-up
dynamic IP?

pat
:)

    "Winning may not be everything, but losing is NOTHING!" -Ed Bighead

networking problem!

Post by Christian Due » Thu, 16 May 1996 04:00:00

:   if I get to connect to ISP via PPP using , dial-up, then can other user
: login or telnet to my server at this siuation?

I don't know what 'ISP' is, but when I connect to my university via PPP others
can login on my computer. Hence it is important to have _no_ users in your
'/etc/passwd' with NULL-password (or simple passwords).
But I think it is useful that others can login at this situation. You can make
accounts for your friends and so they can visit your system ...
(I have many friends with linux-systems and we have all accounts by all others
so that we can visit them via modem or if they are connected to the net
elsewhere. It's nice)

Greetings,
Christian.

WWW-Homepage:          http://www.math.uni-hamburg.de/home/duehl/homepage.html

1. Network problems with 3c595 on 100T network (detailed)

Hi,
        I have a networking problem which I have not managed to solve after
reading the relevant HOTWO files. Any help will be appreciated.

Setup:
  Intel Pentium Pro with 3Com 595 100Tx card connected to 100T network.

  The machine has WIN/NT installed and manages to access the network.

Software:
  - I have installed Slackware 3.1 (from InfoMagic CDROM)
  - run "netconfig" with appropriate parameters (double checked)

Symptoms:

  - Kernel recognizes right device
  - No error messages at boot time

  - ifconfig shows the device setup, but shows 0 on all TX and RX counts,
    including errors counts.
  - same for /proc/net/dev

  - routing table seems ok (as far as I understand these things)

Yet, I can't run a single network application.

ping to my gateway just hang. When I press ^c, it reports "NN packets sent, 100% packet loss".

I tried to ping the machine from another machine, and again no
communications.

The interesting thing is that "ifconfig" keeps insisting that nothing was sent
 nor transmitted.

The only thing that I can think of is that the device parameters are not set
right. In particular "ifconfig" reports:

eth0  Link encap: 10MBps Ethernet ...

when the net should 100MBps.

Can this be the problem? If so, how do I set the right mode for the device?

Thanks,

-Nir

2. Newbie - running a script

3. Two network adapters on seperate networks problem

4. Malloc

5. Curious Networking problem: Installed via FTP but now the Network won't start.

6. Heroes of Palestine are martyrs!

7. Network problem, can't ping other machines on same network

8. newbie

9. Network problem: SIOCADDT: Network is unreachable

10. network problem - local network setup

11. Network problem on SLS .99pl12 (Network is unreachable)

12. Strange network problem (network suddenly stops working) - partial solution

13. Networking problem in Linux, but no problem in Windows on same hardware