how do i mount an extended dos partition or a dos logical partition ?

how do i mount an extended dos partition or a dos logical partition ?

Post by dan » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

i need to access/share data with an NT machine (not on a network)
i have 10G removable hard drives
i am trying to put a file system on it to allow access by both linux and
NT
linux won't mount an ntfs file system
the NT person put 4 primary (?) dos partitions on the disk
and if i run fdisk in linux it sees 4 FAT16 partitions
but it will only let me mount the first one

how do i mount the other 3 ?

is there some special way the disk needs to be formated by NT ?

thanks for any help,
dan

how do i mount an extended dos partition or a dos logical partition ?

Post by Vance Wheelock » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

When drives are partition you can have up to 4 primary partitions and
4  logical partitions within an extended partition

so the partions are labeled
1 first primary partition
2 second primary partition (not used in your case)
3 third primary partion        (not used in your case)
4 fourth primary partition    (not used in your case)
5....n  partitions located in the extended partition

so the one partition you mounted is probably hda1 or hdb1 then the
other three which are in the extended partion (hda5 or hdb5) which
then would make them hda5, hda6, hda7 or hda5, hdb6, hdb7
Of course you want to use s instead of h for the starting letter if it
is a scsi drive. See also the faqs like
http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/LDP/sag/x876.html

In order to mount nt partitons you have to have the ntfs driver loaded
in. You can download the ntfs driver at:
http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~loewis/ntfs/
Most of these are still experimental, but most people can use this
driver without a problem.

Vance

Quote:>i need to access/share data with an NT machine (not on a network)

Post by Steve Arno » Mon, 19 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>i need to access/share data with an NT machine (not on a network)
>i have 10G removable hard drives
>i am trying to put a file system on it to allow access by both linux and
>NT
>linux won't mount an ntfs file system
>the NT person put 4 primary (?) dos partitions on the disk
>and if i run fdisk in linux it sees 4 FAT16 partitions
>but it will only let me mount the first one

>how do i mount the other 3 ?

>is there some special way the disk needs to be formated by NT ?

What mount command are you using?

You should be able to mount either fat16 or fat32, both as type vfat.  Is the
removeable disk one of those "hard disk in a bracket" things?  Obviously you
know what the device is since you can mount the first partition.  Linux
numbers the primary partitions 1-4, extended/logical partitions always start
at 5.  Assuming your drive is the first SCSI disk (substitute your device):

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/dos

would mount the first partition.  To mount the others, just change the device
number, ie:

mount -t vfat /dev/sda2 /mnt/dos

Regards, Steve

1. Mounting logical drives in the extended dos partition

I installed linux on a sererate harddisk (running in secondary master)
and i have Win NT4 on the primary master.

i am able to mount the primary partition in the primary master (c
drive-hda1-) but when i try to mount the extended drives hda2-6, it says
must specify file system. I can mount the cd-rom, but the floppy drive
creates a similar problem. Also when i try to un-mount a mounted drive it
says that the device is busy. Are these problems related? how can i fix
either of these problems if they are unreleated?

2. Automatic PPP dialup / process / hangup

3. dos won't recognize my extended dos partition

4. Openserver and Matrox Mystique

5. What partition sysid is OK for extended DOS partition mount?

6. RH 6.0 telnet/rsh sessions rejected

7. Q: Booting Win95/DOS in logical (extended) partition from LILO

8. CDROM mounting problem.

9. Installing Linux on a logical drive in DOS extended partition

10. Installing Linux to a logical DOS drive on an extended partition?

11. FAT/16 logical volumes on extended DOS-OS/2 Partitions?

12. Can Linux partitions be created on Extended DOS partition

13. DOS extended partition -> swap partition