connecting to ISP via PPP

Post by Kybo » Sat, 11 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Please could some one send me the scripts to connect  to the internet or
tell me what to do in great detail.

connecting to ISP via PPP

Post by Samuel Ziegl » Sun, 12 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Please could some one send me the scripts to connect  to the internet or
>tell me what to do in great detail.

Read the ISP-Hookup-HOWTO.  The latest version can be found at:
http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO

--

"You're saying that the victim doesn't want it to end. Good. I get to dress
 up and play the assassin again." - _When We Two Parted_, The Afghan Whigs

1. How to connect to ISP via PPP?

I'm having trouble setting up my box to dialup my ISP via PPP. I've read the
Basic Networking docs at netbsd.org and more or less followed the
instructions.

Here are the specifics of my modem & ISP:

ISP:
chat authentication
hardware flow control ok
data compression ok
dynamically assigned IP addresses
dialups at 56k, 33.6 & 28.8 supported

Modem: (USR external Sportster 28.8  - v.34/v.32 bis)
dip settings: Linux=3,5,8 down ; Unix=3,7,8 down (this setting causes "AA"
to stay lit)
ATZ = initialization via "modem station" program
AT&F1 =   "       for fixed serial port rate
AT&F2 =   "       for software flow control
modem is on COM2 (=ttys1 ???)

Currently I've just got the base system installed and have constructed the
following pppd=related files:

/etc/ppp/peers/myisp
    /dev/ttys1
    noipdefault
    connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/peers/myisp.chat'
    persist
    ipparam myisp
    asyncmap 0
    noauth

/etc/ppp/peers/options.ttys1
    lock
    crtscts
    38400
    modem

/etc/ppp/peers/myisp.chat
    ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' ""
    \da\ptz0 OK
    \da\ptdt####### CONNECT
    ogin: <my account name>
    asswd: <my password>

When I type "pppd call myisp" I get

chat[338]: Failed
pppd[336]: Connect script failed

I'm sure I'm missing some things like DNS addresses and debugging but I
assumed anything else would have been mentioned in the Networking Basics
HowTo.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

~beaker

2. upgraded X, lost fonts

3. can't connect to ISP via PPP

4. Java

5. Connecting to ISP via PPP - I'm almost there

6. Linksys Ether16 Lan Card

7. how can I connect my isp via ppp

8. Reading password?

9. PPP Help Needed For Connecting with ISP Via Dedicated Addr.

10. Connecting via PPP witn a PnP modem to an ISP using PAP

11. How can I connect ISP via PPP ?

12. how can I connect ISP via PPP?

13. Connect via LAN vs. Connect via modem headache