Remote printing problem: waiting for remote system to come up

Remote printing problem: waiting for remote system to come up

Post by Robert P. Biuk-Agh » Fri, 16 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I have successfully configured local printing and am now trying to do the
same for remote printing, i.e. from my Linux box to a remote printer
attached to a Sun workstation, but am experiencing problems.

My local printcap entry for the remote printer looks like this:
(with slight modification, i.e. the foo.bar is actually
something else)

   # HP Laserjet 5mp (remote printer):
   LaserJet5mp|hp|HP Laserjet 5mp: \
        :lp=: \
        :rm=foo.bar.umac.mo: \
        :rp=LaserJet5mp: \
        :sd=/usr/spool/lpd/hp-lj5mp: \
        :lf=/usr/spool/lpd/hp-lj5mp/errs: \
        :mx#0: \
        :sh:

Before printing something, I check the printer status (lpc status
LaserJet5mp), which is reported as follows:

   LaserJet5mp:
           queuing is enabled
           printing is enabled
           no entries
           no daemon present

Then I start a print job, like this:

   lpr -PLaserJet5mp foobar.txt

Next the printer status is reported as follows:

   LaserJet5mp:
           queuing is enabled
           printing is enabled
           1 entry in spool area
           waiting for foo.bar.umac.mo to come up

However, the machine is already up and the printer is ready. Furthermore,
I have a login account on the remote machine and since my local machine's
name is in the remote .rhosts file, I can rsh commands on the remote
machine (I don't know whether this is relevant for remote printing,
though).

Printing on the remote machine is already enabled in the /etc/lp/Systems
file.

What's wrong? Any help appreciated.

Robert.

Robert P. Biuk-Aghai, University of Macau, Faculty of Science and Technology

                 http://www.sftw.umac.mo/~fstrpba/RPBA.html
                  hyperg://hyperg.sftw.umac.mo/robert_col

     The best beloved of all things in My sight is Justice ...
                                                 - Baha'u'llah (1817-92)

Post by Oliver Elphic » Tue, 20 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> Then I start a print job, like this:

>    lpr -PLaserJet5mp foobar.txt

> Next the printer status is reported as follows:

>    LaserJet5mp:
>            queuing is enabled
>            printing is enabled
>            1 entry in spool area
>            waiting for foo.bar.umac.mo to come up

> However, the machine is already up and the printer is ready. Furthermore,
> I have a login account on the remote machine and since my local machine's
> name is in the remote .rhosts file, I can rsh commands on the remote
> machine (I don't know whether this is relevant for remote printing,
> though).

I think it is not relevant.

lpr to a remote printer attempts to open a TCP connection on port 515
(remote printing protocol).  You must have a process listening on that port
on the machine which has the printer.

This must be enabled in /etc/inetd.conf, or else the remote machine's boot
script must start the remote printing daemon.

You don't say what kind of machine your remote machine is.

On HP-UX, the remote printing daemon is called rlpdaemon; it may have a
different name in a different OS.

Oliver Elphick
Logical Choice Ltd
Oxford, England

Remote printing problem: waiting for remote system to come up

Post by Meinhard E. Mayer (Har » Thu, 22 Feb 1996 04:00:00

?

?   >
[...]

One essential fat you have both missed is the fact that the remote
printer must have an /etc/hosts.lpd file listing the machine names
which are authorized to spool to it. The .rhosts counts only for
logins.  Under HP-UX (which uses lp and rlp rather than lpr and the
associated famlily, and does not make use of printcaps) things are a
bit different.

I have no trouble printing remotely (even on a printer 4000 km away
from where I am now).

--
-- Hardy
-----

1. problems with remote printing under AIX 3.2 (and other remote access problems)

I just installed AIX 3.32 on my R6000/320 and though the install went
smoothly, the R6000 no longer allows remote (tcp/ip) access to the printer.  I
did a "complete overwrite install" and then went through and
configured the network and the remote printer access, and have
rebooted several times, stopped started lpd, etc., but I always get
the message: "your host does not have line printer access" back from
the R6000.  Printing works OK from the R6000, and interestingly, the
"on" command" works from the remote host and I can type "on ___ lpr "
and the R6000 does print then.  I tried both fully qualified and just
the hostname in the /etc/hosts.lpd file.  I am trying to print from a
Sun running 4.1.1 as well as other hosts that use BSD style printer
addressing.  Before the upgrade, remote printing worked fine.

Another strange (related?) feature is that when I type "rsh" from the
remote host I get "Login incorrect." whereas rsh used to work.  It
sounds to me like the network authentication has been messed with.
One last (related?)  problem is that I can't get the R6000 to act as a
pcnfs server (after taking the comment out of /etc/inetd.conf) whereas
it used to work as a pcnfs server before.

  Any ideas?

  Ron Cohen
  Geophysical Laboratory
  Carnegie Institution of Washington

2. remote access

3. Remote printing to remote unix printer problem with cpi= option

4. X Server permissions

5. Remote Printing w/o Remote Machine - How do I do it?

6. Walmart Linux box modem info?

7. Remote Printing w/o Remote Machine

8. MetroX and ATI

9. remote dailup printing on the remote site

10. Remote Printing: waiting for queue to be enabled on...

11. RS/6000 remote printing to numeric remote queue

12. Behavior of AIX print when printing to remote systems.

13. UPS Question-Remote shutdown of NT system?