Logitech PS/2 mouse not being recognized --Please help!!!!

Logitech PS/2 mouse not being recognized --Please help!!!!

Post by Clay Hinso » Tue, 03 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I run Slackware 3.3, and i have a nearly brand-new Logitech 'First
Mouse' PS/2 mouse....my motherboard is a Mustang-R534F..it has a
separate PS/2 port solely for the mouse.
Linux will NOT recognize the mouse..i have recompiled three times now
with different mouse settings and still nothing. gpm says "/dev/mouse :
no such device" even though i manually set the link to /dev/psaux, and i
try it with /dev/psaux and it says there's no such device as that,
either.. and i've rm'ed it and mknod'ed it again and everything. i am
totally at a loss here. i've heard that the new Logitech mice don't use
the same protocol as the older ones...maybe there's a driver i need
somewhere??
I don't know, but i REALLY need help. i'd greatly appreciate any
assistance. thanks.
--Clay Hinson

Post by Matusalem Marque » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I run Slackware 3.3, and i have a nearly brand-new Logitech 'First
> Mouse' PS/2 mouse....my motherboard is a Mustang-R534F..it has a
> separate PS/2 port solely for the mouse.
> Linux will NOT recognize the mouse..i have recompiled three times now
> with different mouse settings and still nothing. gpm says "/dev/mouse :
> no such device" even though i manually set the link to /dev/psaux, and i
> try it with /dev/psaux and it says there's no such device as that,
> either.. and i've rm'ed it and mknod'ed it again and everything. i am
> totally at a loss here. i've heard that the new Logitech mice don't use
> the same protocol as the older ones...maybe there's a driver i need
> somewhere??
> I don't know, but i REALLY need help. i'd greatly appreciate any
> assistance. thanks.
> --Clay Hinson

Make sure you've compiled the kernel with CONFIG_MOUSE and
CONFIG_PSMOUSE options. If you chose to build these options as modules
don't forget to: "make modules ; make modules_install" !

You should also make sure the /dev/psaux entry exists with major 10 and
minor 1 - "mknod /dev/psaux c 10 1" if it doesn't.

Try reading the busmouse HOWTO and the configuration help entries for
more information.

Regards,

Matt

Post by Paul McKe » Thu, 05 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I run Slackware 3.3, and i have a nearly brand-new Logitech 'First
> Mouse' PS/2 mouse....my motherboard is a Mustang-R534F..it has a
> separate PS/2 port solely for the mouse.
> Linux will NOT recognize the mouse..i have recompiled three times now
> with different mouse settings and still nothing. gpm says "/dev/mouse :
> no such device" even though i manually set the link to /dev/psaux, and i
> try it with /dev/psaux and it says there's no such device as that,
> either.. and i've rm'ed it and mknod'ed it again and everything. i am
> totally at a loss here. i've heard that the new Logitech mice don't use
> the same protocol as the older ones...maybe there's a driver i need
> somewhere??
> I don't know, but i REALLY need help. i'd greatly appreciate any
> assistance. thanks.
> --Clay Hinson

  The PS/2 port MUST use IRQ 12.  Somewhere in the source code
(busmouse.c???) there's a DEFINE that sets the IRQ that the bus (or PS/2)
mouse uses.  If you want to use that PS/2 port, this must be set properly.
That's what got my mouseman to work.  To test if this is what's causing
your problem, try plugging your mouse into the serial port (I used the
adapter that came with the mouse).  Remember to change the /dev/mouse link
to point to the proper serial port.  If the mouse works in this setup, then
the mouse is not faulty and the above fix is probably for you.

Paul McKee

Post by Kevin C. Weissm » Fri, 06 Feb 1998 04:00:00

: I run Slackware 3.3, and i have a nearly brand-new Logitech 'First
: Mouse' PS/2 mouse....my motherboard is a Mustang-R534F..it has a
: separate PS/2 port solely for the mouse.
: Linux will NOT recognize the mouse..i have recompiled three times now
: with different mouse settings and still nothing. gpm says "/dev/mouse :
: no such device" even though i manually set the link to /dev/psaux, and i
: try it with /dev/psaux and it says there's no such device as that,
: either.. and i've rm'ed it and mknod'ed it again and everything. i am
: totally at a loss here. i've heard that the new Logitech mice don't use
: the same protocol as the older ones...maybe there's a driver i need
: somewhere??
: I don't know, but i REALLY need help. i'd greatly appreciate any
: assistance. thanks.

Do you see any messages at bootup about the mouse. If the kernel does
indeed detect your PS/2 mouse you should see:

PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected -- driver installed.

upon booting.

(try "mesg | grep PS/2")

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Kevin C. Weissman (KW)            |ACORN "techie" and proud UNIX advocate.

1. Logitech PS/2 Mouse not recognized

Here's the situation:

I installed Slackware 3.5 on my system with no hitch.  I have a Logitech
PS/2 Trackman mouse.  Neither gpm nor X recognize my mouse.  When I try
to run gpm (with all the right parameters), it says "device not found".
X gives me the same problem.

I have read the busmouse howto and tried everything it recommends.  I
have recompiled my kernel with ps/2 support, /dev/mouse is pointing to
/dev/psaux, and as far as I can tell there are no device conflicts
(though admittedly, I'm not entirely sure how I would tell if there
are).  I've tried compiling in support for all types of mice and for
ps/2 alone.  I've tried compiling without my soundcard for possible
conflicts there.  None of this has helped.

If anyone has any advice, please let me know.  Thanks!

-Bill

2. Sharing Logs with ODS + UFS Logging

3. LOGITECH MOUSE NOT Recognized

4. Caller ID

5. Logitech mouse not recognized

6. CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS: Distributed Objects and Components Security (DOCsec) Workshop

7. logitech mouse wheel not recognized in suse 8.0?

8. Red Hat upgrade to 2.2.19 kernel -- help!

9. Logitech PS/2 mouse not detected

10. PS/2 mouse not working in X. (need help...please)

11. Weird mouse behaviour w/ XFree86 3.3.2 and Logitech PS/2 mouse

12. X-Windows will not recognize my MS PS/2-mouse - can't succeed with xf86config.

13. XFree does not recognize PS/1 mouse