HOWTO: becoming a dial-up PPP server, enabling PPP login?

HOWTO: becoming a dial-up PPP server, enabling PPP login?

Post by tcklnbr » Sun, 14 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I am looking for information on configuring a Linux system as a dial-up
PPP server.  (Don't worry, I am not going into business---this is
strictly for my own education and utility.)  I want to give user/users
the ability to dial-in to a machine and access FTP, WEB, Mail, etc.
servers using dynamic IP addresses.

So far, I cannot seem to find a comprehensive reference for how to do
this.  (I can get get the FTP, etc. servers up and responding on
loopback.  I can get the modem to answer the phone.  How do I enable a
login to PPP services from the dial-up connection with a *dynamically
assigned* address?)   (I don't need information on how to get a machine
to dial into an ISP, I need it from the ISP's end---how does an ISP
enable a dial-in PPP connection?)  The references I am finding all seem
to have missing links in the process.

Any references greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ann Tecklenburg

Post by Vampir » Sun, 14 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> I am looking for information on configuring a Linux system as a dial-up
> PPP server.  (Don't worry, I am not going into business---this is
> strictly for my own education and utility.)  I want to give user/users
> the ability to dial-in to a machine and access FTP, WEB, Mail, etc.
> servers using dynamic IP addresses.

> So far, I cannot seem to find a comprehensive reference for how to do
> this.  (I can get get the FTP, etc. servers up and responding on
> loopback.  I can get the modem to answer the phone.  How do I enable a
> login to PPP services from the dial-up connection with a *dynamically
> assigned* address?)   (I don't need information on how to get a machine
> to dial into an ISP, I need it from the ISP's end---how does an ISP
> enable a dial-in PPP connection?)  The references I am finding all seem
> to have missing links in the process.

> Any references greatly appreciated.

> Thanks.

> Ann Tecklenburg

Yes, I need the same info. Can you send me a copy if you get any info?

thanks
vampire

Post by Raphae » Tue, 16 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> > I am looking for information on configuring a Linux system as a dial-up
> > PPP server.  (Don't worry, I am not going into business---this is
> > strictly for my own education and utility.)  I want to give user/users
> > the ability to dial-in to a machine and access FTP, WEB, Mail, etc.
> > servers using dynamic IP addresses.

> > So far, I cannot seem to find a comprehensive reference for how to do
> > this.  (I can get get the FTP, etc. servers up and responding on
> > loopback.  I can get the modem to answer the phone.  How do I enable a
> > login to PPP services from the dial-up connection with a *dynamically
> > assigned* address?)   (I don't need information on how to get a machine
> > to dial into an ISP, I need it from the ISP's end---how does an ISP
> > enable a dial-in PPP connection?)  The references I am finding all seem
> > to have missing links in the process.

> > Any references greatly appreciated.

> > Thanks.

> > Ann Tecklenburg

> Yes, I need the same info. Can you send me a copy if you get any info?

> thanks
> vampire

I believe that there is an article on this in the September Linux journal.
Good Luck

Raphael

Post by Mogens Kjae » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> > > I am looking for information on configuring a Linux system as a dial-up
> > > PPP server.  (Don't worry, I am not going into business---this is
> > > strictly for my own education and utility.)  I want to give user/users
> > > the ability to dial-in to a machine and access FTP, WEB, Mail, etc.
> > > servers using dynamic IP addresses.

> > > So far, I cannot seem to find a comprehensive reference for how to do
> > > this.  (I can get get the FTP, etc. servers up and responding on
> > > loopback.  I can get the modem to answer the phone.  How do I enable a
> > > login to PPP services from the dial-up connection with a *dynamically
> > > assigned* address?)   (I don't need information on how to get a machine
> > > to dial into an ISP, I need it from the ISP's end---how does an ISP
> > > enable a dial-in PPP connection?)  The references I am finding all seem
> > > to have missing links in the process.

> > > Any references greatly appreciated.

> > > Thanks.

> > > Ann Tecklenburg

> > Yes, I need the same info. Can you send me a copy if you get any info?

> > thanks
> > vampire

> I believe that there is an article on this in the September Linux journal.
> Good Luck

> Raphael

- or if everything fails you could read the PPP-HOWTO :-)

It gave me all the information needed to set up a PPP server, using dynamic
allocation
of IP numbers.

Mogens
--
Mogens Kjaer, Carlsberg Laboratory, Dept. of Chemistry
Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08

HOWTO: becoming a dial-up PPP server, enabling PPP login?

Post by Tom Marsha » Fri, 19 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I am looking for information on configuring a Linux system as a dial-up
>PPP server.  (Don't worry, I am not going into business---this is
>strictly for my own education and utility.)

All you need is pppd and a getty.  I highly recommend mgetty+sendfax.  Read the
docs for both very carefully.  It's a simple thing to do.

Post by tcklnbr » Thu, 25 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> >I am looking for information on configuring a Linux system as a dial-up
> >PPP server.  (Don't worry, I am not going into business---this is
> >strictly for my own education and utility.)

> All you need is pppd and a getty.  I highly recommend mgetty+sendfax.  Read the
> docs for both very carefully.  It's a simple thing to do.

I have now gotten mgetty enabled and callers can readily get a terminal emulation
session.   But, if I might ask a few more questions, if you don't mind:  (OK,
I admit to being a newbie...but I *am* spending days reading the docs and
practically everything is geared to network cards and statically assigned
addresses which isn't always helpful...)

I will only have 2 machines connected for now.   I'd like to use mgetty's fax
capabilities so I really don't want it to automatically go into PPP mode on
answer.   1) How do I setup the simplest 2- IP address -scheme for a dialin user +
me?   From what I can tell a full DNS would not only be a waste, but
inappropriate, actually, for the use.  2) Does the user have to login
twice---first in terminal mode then somehow (how???) start pppd and login again?
3) How do I get my k56Rockwell Flex -based modem to recognize incoming FAX calls
(The fax machine quits before faxing with "incomplete information code=400.)  Or
is this some sort of generic problem with these new modems?  The mgetty docs seem
to indicate that incoming faxes should be recognized without doing anything
special.   (Modem brand is Zoltrix, the newest K56flex, voice fax.)

Thanks very much...I am really not an idiot and, I *have* spent days scouring the
docs.

Best wishes

Ann Tecklenburg

Post by Justin Hawkin » Sat, 11 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> I will only have 2 machines connected for now.  I'd like to use
> mgetty's fax capabilities so I really don't want it to automatically
> go into PPP mode on answer.  1) How do I setup the simplest 2- IP
> address -scheme for a dialin user + me?  From what I can tell a full
> DNS would not only be a waste, but inappropriate, actually, for the
> use.  2) Does the user have to login twice---first in terminal mode
> then somehow (how???) start pppd and login again?  3) How do I get
> my k56Rockwell Flex -based modem to recognize incoming FAX calls
> (The fax machine quits before faxing with "incomplete information
> code=400.)  Or is this some sort of generic problem with these new
> modems?  The mgetty docs seem to indicate that incoming faxes should
> be recognized without doing anything special.  (Modem brand is
> Zoltrix, the newest K56flex, voice fax.)

As far as receiving faxes goes, the faxmodem should be able to work
out if it's an incoming fax or data call and report which one to the
computer, so that linux can spit out a login prompt for a data call,
or start some fax software for a fax. So it could still go
automatically go into ppp mode if you wanted.

But if you want users to have shell and ppp access, then something a
little more detailed is required. I'm not sure on the details, but
basically when they login as shell they just do it as normal, but when
they login to use ppp, their login script will start the ppp program
from the shell. So there is no real difference in how the computer
accepts logins, but getting it all setup to work is not totally
trivial.

(I guess - I haven't had to do it :)

        - Justin

--

                 "Don't sweat it -- it's only 1's and 0's"