Help: configuration problem

Post by Help Des » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi.  I have a recently installed RedHat 5.1 system, with most of the
development tools (ie gcc, egcs, egcs+) installed from that distro.  The
problem I've been having is running the configure scripts that come with
various software...they stall at the gcc stage.  Here is the output I'm
getting (2 examples):

for eMusic:

--host=localhost.localdomain
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking host system type... localhost.localdomain
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.

for Eterm:

checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -O ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.

Do I need a new version of gcc, or is there some configuration change I
have to make?  I spent most of my weekend tweaking with settings...Any

direct, as I don't often come here.

Thanks!