Linux LILO Booting L 40 40 40...

Linux LILO Booting L 40 40 40...

Post by No Na » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 06:57:15



I had a workstation running RedHat 7.2 and it installed and ran
without a hitch. I just bought a version of Mandrake 8.1 and after a
clean installed every time it boots I get "L 40 40 40...". What is the
difference between LILO on Redhat and LILO and Mandrake?

Can I fix this? How?

Thanks Jim

 
 
 

Linux LILO Booting L 40 40 40...

Post by rlen.. » Sun, 02 Dec 2001 05:15:06



> Path: reader4.news.rcn.net!feed1.news.rcn.net!feed2.news.rcn.net!rcn!newsfeed.stanford.edu!postnews1.google.com!not-for-mail

> Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup
> Subject: Linux LILO Booting L 40 40 40...
> Date: 29 Nov 2001 13:57:15 -0800
> Organization: http://groups.google.com/
> Lines: 8

> NNTP-Posting-Host: 216.47.36.52
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
> X-Trace: posting.google.com 1007071036 5146 127.0.0.1 (29 Nov 2001 21:57:16 GMT)

> NNTP-Posting-Date: 29 Nov 2001 21:57:16 GMT
> Xref: reader4.news.rcn.net comp.os.linux.setup:440454

> I had a workstation running RedHat 7.2 and it installed and ran
> without a hitch. I just bought a version of Mandrake 8.1 and after a
> clean installed every time it boots I get "L 40 40 40...". What is the
> difference between LILO on Redhat and LILO and Mandrake?

> Can I fix this? How?

> Thanks Jim

The 40 on boot (at least in my case) proved to be a "bad" MBR left over from
the prvious operating system install.  Reset your MBR, the reconfig your LILO
and you'll probably be on your way.

Good luck.

Rick

 
 
 

Linux LILO Booting L 40 40 40...

Post by Jim Gallaghe » Mon, 03 Dec 2001 20:54:51


When I installed Mandrake I cleared and reformatted all the partitions on
both hard drives. Wouldn't that reset the Master Boot Record?

Thanks again Jim



>> Path:

reader4.news.rcn.net!feed1.news.rcn.net!feed2.news.rcn.net!rcn!newsfeed.stanford.edu!postnews1.google.com!not-for-mail

>> Subject: Linux LILO Booting L 40 40 40...
>> Date: 29 Nov 2001 13:57:15 -0800
>> Organization: http://groups.google.com/
>> Lines: 8

>> NNTP-Posting-Host: 216.47.36.52
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>> Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
>> X-Trace: posting.google.com 1007071036 5146 127.0.0.1 (29 Nov 2001

>> NNTP-Posting-Date: 29 Nov 2001 21:57:16 GMT
>> Xref: reader4.news.rcn.net comp.os.linux.setup:440454

>> I had a workstation running RedHat 7.2 and it installed and ran
>> without a hitch. I just bought a version of Mandrake 8.1 and after a
>> clean installed every time it boots I get "L 40 40 40...". What is the
>> difference between LILO on Redhat and LILO and Mandrake?

>> Can I fix this? How?

>> Thanks Jim

> The 40 on boot (at least in my case) proved to be a "bad" MBR left over
> from
> the prvious operating system install.  Reset your MBR, the reconfig your
> LILO and you'll probably be on your way.

> Good luck.

> Rick

 
 
 

Linux LILO Booting L 40 40 40...

Post by rlen.. » Mon, 03 Dec 2001 16:21:55



> When I installed Mandrake I cleared and reformatted all the partitions on
> both hard drives. Wouldn't that reset the Master Boot Record?

> Thanks again Jim

Interestingly, not necessarily (again, in my experience).  *I* too imagined
that reformatting, repartitioning, etc would have cleared the MBR.  But my
experience with reclaiming an old NT formatted disk suggested that my
imaginings were just that.  I spent several days playing with a "resurrection
box" reformatting and reinstalling in every way that I could imagine--and
NOTHING I did could get LILO and the HD off the 40 40 40 Kerchunk Kerchunk
Kerchunk routine.  Finally, with no other ideas, I reverted to the old MSDOS
trick of resetting the MBR--and everything worked perfectly immediately
thereafter.  (What I'd like to find now is the LINUX equivalent of that same
trick.  There's got to be one.  But I don't know what it is.  Whatever it is,
though, it ISN'T automatically done just be reformatting somehow . . .)

Good luck.

Rick

 
 
 

Linux LILO Booting L 40 40 40...

Post by rlen.. » Mon, 03 Dec 2001 16:41:16



> When I installed Mandrake I cleared and reformatted all the partitions on
> both hard drives. Wouldn't that reset the Master Boot Record?

> Thanks again Jim

Interestingly, not necessarily (again in my experience).  *I* imagined that
reformatting and repartitioning would have reset the MBR.  But in reclaiming
an old drive for a "resurrection box" I found that such might not actually be
the case (for reasons that I don't yet fully understand).  I spent several
days reformatting, repartitioning, and reinstalling in every way that I could
imagine (and read)--and yet could never get beyond the 40 40 40 Kerchunk
Kerchunk Kerchunk.  Finally, with not other ideas at all, I did the old MSDOS
MBR reset trick--and everything worked perfectly immediately.  (What the LINUX
equivalent of that trick is, I don't know.  There almost certainly has to be
one.  But whatever it is, it apparently is NOT automatically performed merely
by reformatting and repartitioning, etc. . . . )

Good luck.

Rick

 
 
 

Linux LILO Booting L 40 40 40...

Post by Timothy Murp » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 00:52:40



>> When I installed Mandrake I cleared and reformatted all the partitions on
>> both hard drives. Wouldn't that reset the Master Boot Record?

>Interestingly, not necessarily (again in my experience).  *I* imagined that
>reformatting and repartitioning would have reset the MBR.  

I don't really see why one would expect this.
You wouldn't expect reformatting _one_ partition to affect the MBR,
so I don't see why reformatting them all should do so.

--
Timothy Murphy  

tel: 086-233 6090
s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

 
 
 

Linux LILO Booting L 40 40 40...

Post by remove.thisb.. » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 03:13:45



> I don't really see why one would expect this.
> You wouldn't expect reformatting _one_ partition to affect the MBR,
> so I don't see why reformatting them all should do so.

Nope, but "reset MBR" should be an option in the installation process.

-Bill

 
 
 

1. Lilo "L 40 40 40 40 40 40..."

Greetings,

I have set up a Linux From Scratch system on a 1.2Gb Maxtor hard drive. It
works fine on my two Athlon systems, but when I put the drive in my Pentium
100, the system results in "L 40 40 40 40 40 40..." before showing the Lilo
menu.

My Lilo.conf contains the "lba32" entry which should mean this would work,
but it doesn't.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Jon

2. Weird NFS problem

3. LILO saying "L 40 40 40 40 40 40..."

4. parallel zip drive...

5. Lilo spits "L 40 40 40 40"...

6. Starup log

7. AMD 386/40 + ULSI 387/40 crashes intermittantly

8. SUPER-PC

9. segmentation fault with 1.3.40, nmbd 1.2.13-1.3.40

10. Dual boot XP and Linux on a 40 GB disk

11. LILO error 40

12. At Boot: hd(40) Unix Bad Magic Number

13. Hard disk boot fine on SPARCclassic but not SS10/40?