Perfect Duplication of Data from one disk to aother

Perfect Duplication of Data from one disk to aother

Post by Xmin » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 10:31:25

A few days ago, we had a problem with your server of mail, that runs linux
and qmail.
   The problem has to do  about the hard disk, when booting the program fsck
(that runs on startup) gava a message of error indicanting that was an error
with the disk...

    My question is simple. We want to replicate all the data to another
disk, including boot, root and so on, with the intentation of having a hard
disk of rescue.

    is there any command in Linux, that suits my need ???

    Can you help me out ???

    Once again, thanks big community !!!

--
Bruno Miguel Sousa

Linux was one of the greatest things that I've found
In the world of computers !

Post by Dave Uhrin » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 06:16:06

>>     My question is simple. We want to replicate all the data to
>>     another
>> disk, including boot, root and so on, with the intentation of having
>> a hard disk of rescue.

>>     is there any command in Linux, that suits my need ???

> rdist(1) should do what you want.

> Note that an exact copy of your disk probably will not work right of
> the box; if you should ever need it, chances are you would have to
> edit /etc/fstab, /etc/lilo.conf and re-run lilo, at the very least.
> Things should be rather straightforward, though.  Just don't rely on
> it working immediately.

rdist is used to duplicate files from one machine to another.  For
drives mounted in the same machine:

1. If the disks are identical, use dd to do a raw copy.

# dd if=/dev/hda of=dev/hdb

2. If the disks differ, fdisk and mkfs on the 2d drive, mount the 2d
drive as say /backup then use tar to copy the files from the working
drive to the backup drive.

# cd /
# tar -cpf - bin | (umask 0, cd /backup; tar xpf -)

and do this for each directory under /.

1. migrate data from one hard disk to another

Has anyone successfully migrated data from one new disk to another?
if so can you point me at the steps to follow

I tried migrating from a 4 gig to a 9 gig but after steps taken system got
stuck in a boot loop
these were steps used.

extendvg rootvg disk3 (this errors saying I need to run chvg -t16 rootvg)
this is done and I can extend run extend vg command.
migratepv -l hd5 hdisk0 hdisk3
chpv -c hdisk0
bosboot -a -d /dev/hdisk3
bootlist -m normal hdisk3
mkboot -c -d /dev/hdisk0
smitty migratepv from hdisk0 to hdisk3
reduce vg rootvg hdisk0
,

2. 2.4.21-pre7: error compiling aic7(censored)/aicasm/aicasm.c

3. Disk Duplication

4. Routing TCP/IP & IPX over a 64K synchronous leased line

5. FreeBSD hard disk duplication

6. Mem allocation on Solaris 2.1, problem!!!

7. Can one do disk-to-disk copys with Sun hard disks?

8. Not found screens

9. Hard disk duplication??

10. Tools for Linux Hard disk duplication ?

11. Can one do disk-to-disk copys with Sun hard disks?

12. Should we find a Disk Duplication Service for Linux?

13. General purpose disk duplication util