resolution! what resolution?

Post by Manuel Moren » Wed, 07 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi there!

I am trying to change the resolution of XWindows from 640x480 to 800x600.
I've run xf86config several times and for some reason xvidtune still reports
640x480. I have a trident 8900C video card with 1Mb; a generic SVGA monitor
that should be able to handle a resolution of at least 800x600.

Would you be kind enough to walk me through the configuration process so as
to maximize the capabilities of my monitor? I do not have the specs for my
monitor (hsync or vsync, refresh rate, and so forth).

Thanx
Manuel

resolution! what resolution?

Post by W. Davis Decher » Wed, 07 Aug 1996 04:00:00

What worked for me was changing the line in the /etc/XF86Config file in
the screen section.  In the Subsection "Display" there is a line that
starts with modes followed by the resoultions in quotes.  X11 will try
to start in the first mode listed, and if that fails the next one, etc.
Put the mode you want (e.g., "800x600") first.

--

Department of Economics      |                                  /  \
University of Wisconsin      |   Use sand instead of paper     /____\

Post by Jim Staffo » Thu, 08 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: Hi there!

: I am trying to change the resolution of XWindows from 640x480 to 800x600.
: I've run xf86config several times and for some reason xvidtune still reports
: 640x480. I have a trident 8900C video card with 1Mb; a generic SVGA monitor
: that should be able to handle a resolution of at least 800x600.

: Would you be kind enough to walk me through the configuration process so as
: to maximize the capabilities of my monitor? I do not have the specs for my
: monitor (hsync or vsync, refresh rate, and so forth).

: Thanx
: Manuel

Try pressing ctrl+alt+the plus key (on your numeric keypad, the plus key
that is) at the same time while XWindows is running. That does it for my
setup. If you do this a third time and your screen goes kinda crazy hurry
up and press it again so you don't mess up your monitor, I guess the
8900c doesn't do 1280x1024.

keep on computin'

jamess

resolution! what resolution?

Post by Marily » Thu, 08 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Put 800x600 in your screen section first so XF86Config will use that
as the default on startup. I addition you can use Ctrl+ALt+ the '+'
key pad to walk through all of the possible modes specified in your
XF86Config in order to choose the best one for you.

Good luck

Reli

Post by RHS Linux Us » Thu, 08 Aug 1996 04:00:00

|> What worked for me was changing the line in the /etc/XF86Config file in
|> the screen section.  In the Subsection "Display" there is a line that
|> starts with modes followed by the resoultions in quotes.  X11 will try
|> to start in the first mode listed, and if that fails the next one, etc.
|> Put the mode you want (e.g., "800x600") first.
|>
|> --

|> Department of Economics      |                                  /  \
|> University of Wisconsin      |   Use sand instead of paper     /____\
|> Madison WI 53706             |   and save a tree.

Or try <ctrl><alt><+> and <ctrl><alt><-> to switch resolutions,
assuming the x config file is ok.

resolution! what resolution?

Post by JinHo Ch » Thu, 08 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Try pressing ctrl+alt+the plus key (on your numeric keypad, the plus key
>that is) at the same time while XWindows is running. That does it for my
>setup. If you do this a third time and your screen goes kinda crazy hurry
>up and press it again so you don't mess up your monitor, I guess the
>8900c doesn't do 1280x1024.

If one's video card and monitor combination does 1024x768 in Win, it should
work with Linux.

Recently I got another machine, and bought a used monitor(not very good one,
but does 1024x768)  Windows worked find, but Xwindows showes me only noises,
and I was using default clock setting and frequency setting(you know
the numbers sets scanning starts and ends in Xf86Config)

I panned the screen left-right, and got a screen, but was panned far left.  I
moved the screen to the end of right using nob, but the left size of the
window was still folded a lot.

Warning.  I'm not sure, but it might damage your monitor if you see noize for
pretty long time.  Also don't try to use frequency which your monitor or video
card does not support, or pray before try:)

Post by Mike Pittma » Fri, 09 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> What worked for me was changing the line in the /etc/XF86Config file in
> the screen section.  In the Subsection "Display" there is a line that
> starts with modes followed by the resoultions in quotes.  X11 will try
> to start in the first mode listed, and if that fails the next one, etc.
> Put the mode you want (e.g., "800x600") first.

> --

> Department of Economics      |                                  /  \
> University of Wisconsin      |   Use sand instead of paper     /____\
> Madison WI 53706             |   and save a tree.                ||

When you go through the setup, there is a stage which will ask you about
the different video mode, where you have to type 4 to tell it they are
OK to continue. Well what you do is before typing 4, change the
preferred order of resolutions for each number of bitplanes. Thus for
your preferred number of bitplanes (8?, 16? whatever) you press the
number which corresponds ie: 1 or  2 which will get you into a screen
with a list of resolutions numbered 1,2,3,4 etc. You can then type the
preferred order of resolutions for that colour depth. I put something
like 213 to select 800*600, then next preferred as 640*480 then
12??*1??? as the third most preferred. I did this for all colour depths
and *then* pressed 4 to say I was happy and to continue. It may not work
this way for you, but I think it should. It didn't seem like a video
hardware specific thing and so will probably come up for you too.

Have fun.

Mike Pittman

Post by Tommy Killande » Fri, 09 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> Hi there!

> I am trying to change the resolution of XWindows from 640x480 to 800x600.
> I've run xf86config several times and for some reason xvidtune still reports
> 640x480. I have a trident 8900C video card with 1Mb; a generic SVGA monitor
> that should be able to handle a resolution of at least 800x600.

> Would you be kind enough to walk me through the configuration process so as
> to maximize the capabilities of my monitor? I do not have the specs for my
> monitor (hsync or vsync, refresh rate, and so forth).

After running the xf86config program, start X and stop it.
Check out the output from the server on the console; in most case you can se
the result of the servers scan through the XF86Config file, look for there
things:

 - are all my resolution modes there, or has the server deleted anyone ?
 - if your 800x600 mode is deleted (its not deleted in the XF86Config
   file !), the server outputs the reason:

    o The vsyncfreq, vscanfreq or hscanfreq is out of the monitor selection
      you specified while running the xf86config program.

    o try out Interlace mode (On and Off).

    o A misproper frequency might be caused by a wrong dot-clock selection.
      Check out which dotclock the server chooses.

WARNING!
Playing around with there settings might destroy your monitor. Most monitors are
designed to work within certain sweepfrequences. If you go out of there specs,
your guarantee will most certainly void.

So your doing it at your own risk.

/TK
.-------------------------------------------------------------------.
: Tommy Killander -- The Hardy Boy  :       Feel Free to Visit      :

resolution! what resolution?

Post by S » Wed, 14 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: >
: > Hi there!
: >
[...]

: .-------------------------------------------------------------------.
: : Tommy Killander -- The Hardy Boy  :       Feel Free to Visit      :

: =====================================================================

If you saved /etc/XF86config file, you can look for the entry at the bottom
of file.  it is written under 'Screen sections' and the first configuation
points to your current screen driver & device.
you may can find a section called 'Driver       "accel"' at the bottom.

play with it until you figure out how it works - make sure you have
a back-up copy of XF86Config. :)

Hope this helps,

Sang Kang
--
California, n.:
        From Latin "calor", meaning "heat" (as in English "calorie" or

1. Changing screen resolution AND virtual resolution?

Hi,
Does someone know if it is (or is not!) possible to change both the
screen resolution AND the virtual screen resolution at the same time
with the Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-Plus/Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-Minus keystrokes? I
typically run at 1024x768 but would like to be able to change to 800x600
or 600x480, but without getting the "scrolling" virtual screen as a side
effect.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Max.

2. AnotherLevel

3. resolution on console and resolution in X?

4. rsh from nt to unix

5. is there a way to get better timing resolution. Sleep has 1 second resolution

6. NIS problems

7. How do I change video resolution?

8. Linux Setup with WinGate

9. increasing the resolution

10. Screen Resolution in Solaris - HOW!!!!!?

11. Sun reboot command stuck when resolution is 1920x1200x70

12. KDE video resolution.. help!

13. Newbie question: virtual screen resolution