HELP! Yggdrasil Linux hangs on boot from CD!!!!!!!!!! Anyone please help?!?

HELP! Yggdrasil Linux hangs on boot from CD!!!!!!!!!! Anyone please help?!?

Post by Nathan Sieme » Thu, 30 Nov 1995 04:00:00



If you are using the Fall 95 release, make sure you have the revised
boot disk.  It should be available at their ftp site,
ftp.yggdrasil.com.  I had no problems with an acer 486 install.

Debian is looking *very* good, though.

nathan

 
 
 

HELP! Yggdrasil Linux hangs on boot from CD!!!!!!!!!! Anyone please help?!?

Post by Jeff Frohwei » Thu, 30 Nov 1995 04:00:00


I have Yggdrasil Linux distributed By Walnut Creek on CD.
I try to boot from CD by using 'runlinux.bat' and the
system hangs on me and never returns. I have a 100MHz Pentium
if this info helps.

BTW, if I make a boot floppy, and hit reset, linux seems to install
okay until it gets to "Checking partition:'.

I have not yet done an fdisk on the partition I am planning on
using for Linux. But how am I supposed to use fdisk IN linux if
I can't boot linux? Someone told me I HAVE to use Linux or OS/2
to do this fdisk function.

I WOULD BE MORE THAN GREATFUL FOR ANY HELP!!!!

 Jeff

Technical Central
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~jfrohwei/
(Schematics, source code, reverse engineering...)

 
 
 

HELP! Yggdrasil Linux hangs on boot from CD!!!!!!!!!! Anyone please help?!?

Post by Stanley Wo » Tue, 05 Dec 1995 04:00:00



Quote:>I have Yggdrasil Linux distributed By Walnut Creek on CD.
>I try to boot from CD by using 'runlinux.bat' and the
>system hangs on me and never returns. I have a 100MHz Pentium
>if this info helps.
>BTW, if I make a boot floppy, and hit reset, linux seems to install
>okay until it gets to "Checking partition:'.
>I have not yet done an fdisk on the partition I am planning on
>using for Linux. But how am I supposed to use fdisk IN linux if
>I can't boot linux? Someone told me I HAVE to use Linux or OS/2
>to do this fdisk function.
>I WOULD BE MORE THAN GREATFUL FOR ANY HELP!!!!
> Jeff
>Technical Central
>http://fly.hiwaay.net/~jfrohwei/
>(Schematics, source code, reverse engineering...)

I have had similar problems on several different machines.  The common
factor seems to be it is checking for an MS-DOS partition on your
first disk.  If the MS-DOS partition isn't the first partition or
if you are using something like OnTrack's drive overlay then the
process hangs at this point.

I haven't figured out a solution at this point other than to make
the disk a totally standard DOS disk.  This is probably just an
installation glitch since my Fall 94 Yggdrasil setup works just fine.

-- Stan Wong.

 
 
 

HELP! Yggdrasil Linux hangs on boot from CD!!!!!!!!!! Anyone please help?!?

Post by r.. » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00



Quote:

>I have had similar problems on several different machines.  The common
>factor seems to be it is checking for an MS-DOS partition on your
>first disk.  If the MS-DOS partition isn't the first partition or
>if you are using something like OnTrack's drive overlay then the
>process hangs at this point.

>I haven't figured out a solution at this point other than to make
>the disk a totally standard DOS disk.  This is probably just an
>installation glitch since my Fall 94 Yggdrasil setup works just fine.

>-- Stan Wong.

        Thank Goodness!. I thought that I was going crazy. I've got the same
problem; the boot disk loads and checks hardware without a problem, then it
does a DOS partition check and hangs up.

        I thought that it was kinda fishy that the system would hang on a DOS
check, especially since the only partitions on my system are HPFS and Linux.

        If this is a installation disk bug, does anyone know where a fix disk
can found? Someone in the newsgroup had mentioned a 'revision B' disk for
Fall '95 (it's also mentioned on Yggdrasil's web page), but I'm not sure if this
revision is included in the Plug and Play Linux Fall 95 distribution that I just
bought. Can someone shed some light on this?

Thanks and Regards,

Ron King

 
 
 

HELP! Yggdrasil Linux hangs on boot from CD!!!!!!!!!! Anyone please help?!?

Post by John F. Eldred » Mon, 15 Jan 1996 04:00:00




>>I have had similar problems on several different machines.  The common
>>factor seems to be it is checking for an MS-DOS partition on your
>>first disk.  If the MS-DOS partition isn't the first partition or
>>if you are using something like OnTrack's drive overlay then the
>>process hangs at this point.

>>I haven't figured out a solution at this point other than to make
>>the disk a totally standard DOS disk.  This is probably just an
>>installation glitch since my Fall 94 Yggdrasil setup works just fine.

>>-- Stan Wong.

>    Thank Goodness!. I thought that I was going crazy. I've got the same
>problem; the boot disk loads and checks hardware without a problem, then it
>does a DOS partition check and hangs up.

>    I thought that it was kinda fishy that the system would hang on a DOS
>check, especially since the only partitions on my system are HPFS and Linux.

>    If this is a installation disk bug, does anyone know where a fix disk
>can found? Someone in the newsgroup had mentioned a 'revision B' disk for
>Fall '95 (it's also mentioned on Yggdrasil's web page), but I'm not sure if this
>revision is included in the Plug and Play Linux Fall 95 distribution that I just
>bought. Can someone shed some light on this?

>Thanks and Regards,

>Ron King

Try letting Ontrack boot first, then pressing the space bar when the
blue prompt appears.  This is what I did on my Maxtor drive, and Linux
didn't have any problem interpreting my partition table.  Perhaps, if
you boot without loading the Ontrack program first, the partition
table isn't where Linux expects to find it?  Does the Ontrack driver
continue running while Linux is active?
 
 
 

HELP! Yggdrasil Linux hangs on boot from CD!!!!!!!!!! Anyone please help?!?

Post by M. Hartsuik » Wed, 17 Jan 1996 04:00:00



Quote:>Try letting Ontrack boot first, then pressing the space bar when the
>blue prompt appears.  This is what I did on my Maxtor drive, and Linux
>didn't have any problem interpreting my partition table.  Perhaps, if
>you boot without loading the Ontrack program first, the partition
>table isn't where Linux expects to find it?  Does the Ontrack driver
>continue running while Linux is active?

Make sure that you use version 7.01 or something like that when you
install linux. I use Ontrack drive manager 7.01 and had no trouble
installing linux. During booting linux recognized my hd even though it
had 3 primaire partitions (yes i used fips to split a 850mb drive up
in 3 partitions).

Marc