Making Streamer-Backups

Post by Yves Schlege » Mon, 08 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hello everyone out there,

I'm new to linux and I have some problems creating streamer-backups. I'm
using SuSE 6.0 with kernel 2.0.36 on a Pentium-II with ASUS P2B-S
(Adaptec 2940U2W-controller). The streamer is a SCSI-II Tandberg-Data
Travan NS8 Pro. How do I have to set up a script for making a full
backup once a week and incremental backups each day? Which program do I
have to use for that task in generally? Is there a graphical interface
e.g. for KDE similar to Seagate Backup Exec for Netware/Windows
available? Is there any command line option that I can use with the cron
daemon?

Any help is appreciated!
Thank you very much,
Yves

Making Streamer-Backups

Post by Tomasz Koryck » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hello everyone out there,

> I'm new to linux and I have some problems creating streamer-backups. I'm
> using SuSE 6.0 with kernel 2.0.36 on a Pentium-II with ASUS P2B-S
> (Adaptec 2940U2W-controller). The streamer is a SCSI-II Tandberg-Data
> Travan NS8 Pro. How do I have to set up a script for making a full
> backup once a week and incremental backups each day? Which program do I
> have to use for that task in generally? Is there a graphical interface
> e.g. for KDE similar to Seagate Backup Exec for Netware/Windows
> available? Is there any command line option that I can use with the cron
> daemon?

> Any help is appreciated!
> Thank you very much,
> Yves

A simple idea first:
1. perform Your backup manually (e.g.: tar -cv /), then verify it. If
You succeed, follow with step 2;
2. Add a cron job:
        crontab -e <ENTER>
                now You're in vi, go to the end of file, add the command You just
verified to work. Set up the date and time to be appropriate for You
work habits (like 0400 on Saturday)

Since the output of cron commands gets mailed to You, be sure to read
the listing next Saturday (or whenever). You can even set up a
quasi-database, to be able to search for files on tapes _without_
listing the tape contents, then find the latest instance, pop that tape
in and restore.

Really simple. Over time You'll improve it, I'm sure. But whenever You
chnge anything, TEST IT. You need Your backups when You're stuck, so
don't YOU fail yourself...