problem getting at /dev/dsp

Post by Joeri Sebrecht » Sat, 21 Apr 2001 06:54:38

Hello,

I'm trying to get mpg123 to play as a regular user in debian 2.2
/dev/dsp is in group audio, that I know. And it has the r and w bits of
the group field set, so anyone in the audio group should be able to read
from and write to it. I've done "adduser username audio", which
correctly added me to the group (I've verified). And yet it still won't
run as a regular user.
If I run as root, no problem. If I chmod o+w /dev/dsp, then there's no
problem either. It's only if I try to access what I should be able to
access that there's a problem.
Even an echo "test" > /dev/dsp doesn't work.

Does anyone know how this could even be ? Because I'm stumped.

Thank you,
Joeri Sebrechts

problem getting at /dev/dsp

Post by Joeri Sebrecht » Sat, 21 Apr 2001 17:00:25

never mind, I rebooted and now the problem has gone away.
My guess is that when you firt log in all the group that you're part of
get read, and as long as you don't explicitly log out again you can't be
added to a new group

> Hello,

> I'm trying to get mpg123 to play as a regular user in debian 2.2
> /dev/dsp is in group audio, that I know. And it has the r and w bits of
> the group field set, so anyone in the audio group should be able to read
> from and write to it. I've done "adduser username audio", which
> correctly added me to the group (I've verified). And yet it still won't
> run as a regular user.
> If I run as root, no problem. If I chmod o+w /dev/dsp, then there's no
> problem either. It's only if I try to access what I should be able to
> access that there's a problem.
> Even an echo "test" > /dev/dsp doesn't work.

> Does anyone know how this could even be ? Because I'm stumped.

> Thank you,
> Joeri Sebrechts

1. /dev/dsp, /dev/audio, /dev/midi., /dev/sndsta

After I compiled all the necessary components
for sound support for my sound card, I have happy
to say linux detects my sound card...but there is
one problem I am as of yet unable to use the card..
since the necessary devices in /dev were never made...

In newere kernel releases the file
/usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/Readme.linux which contained a
script at the end of file which created the dev files
is no longer present.  Could someone tell me where this
file is now located?  Or where I can find a script to
create the dev files?

thanks.

2. TEAC QUAD speed CDROM

3. problem getting OSS compatability to work with ALSA: aplay works; /dev/dsp gives noise.

4. Key input problem...

5. problem linking support for /dev/audio and /dev/dsp

6. SUMMARY: SunOs rmount on Ultrix disks

7. Permissions to /dev/cdrom, /dev/dsp etc. problem

8. Pleae help - cannot get Internet browser to work

9. /dev/audio & /dev/dsp problem

10. Permissions to /dev/cdrom, /dev/dsp etc. problem

11. keep getting /dev/dsp: Device not configured on XMMS

12. Getting two outputs to /dev/dsp