Startup FAQ on SuSe 6.3...

Post by Atilla ?ztür » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

After installing Suse 6.3 on apartition several prob's started :

what to do to put : a.) Sounblaster 128 PCI in to the system and let it work
                             b.) same with my Epson Stylus Color 800
                             c.) same  with my Mustek SCSI - Scanner on a
Tekram UW SCSI - Card (395)

Kppp starts dialing provider and cuts shortly after building up the
connection
Eject of cdrom does not work - I have to log in as root and unmount it then
eject works - a little complicated, uh !
After installin RPM's : what to do to let it appear on the K-desktop
properties palette and to let it work ?
After deinstalling RPM's : what to do to clean up the unused links ?

A lot of Questions but if someon can answer to only one of these, it would
be great !

P.S.: Also in deutsch !

Startup FAQ on SuSe 6.3...

Post by Andre » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> what to do to put : a.) Sounblaster 128 PCI in to the system and let it work

is supported by new kernel, should not really be a problem, check if you installed RPLAY.

Quote:>                              b.) same with my Epson Stylus Color 800

configure it in the yast administration menu (install new hardware). you can either install it as a postscript printer or just as EPSON.

Quote:>                              c.) same  with my Mustek SCSI - Scanner on a
> Tekram UW SCSI - Card (395)

the standard kernel has support for your scsi card so all you need to do again is: go to yast -> admin -> install new hardware -> scanner
but be careful before exiting the mask because you NEED to asign the correct LUN otherwise it could happen to 'knock out' your hard drive.

Quote:> Kppp starts dialing provider and cuts shortly after building up the
> connection

go to yast -> admin -> user manager and check if you as a user have access to the modem (NO by default)

Quote:> Eject of cdrom does not work - I have to log in as root and unmount it then
> eject works - a little complicated, uh !

kde has the option of allowing every user to mount/unmount drives, if it does not work, edit /etc/fstab and change the line to something like
/dev/scd0       /cdrom                    iso9660         ro,noauto,user 0   0

Quote:> After installin RPM's : what to do to let it appear on the K-desktop
> properties palette and to let it work ?

if you install the rpm's using YAST they should show up in the menu of kde, theydo not, or only rarely in fvwm2 or gnome, only if they have been entered to the configuration by default already, else it is your job to do so.

Quote:> After deinstalling RPM's : what to do to clean up the unused links ?

not sure how it works with the menus in kde as i prefer fvwm2 (or enlightenment).

ok, hope this helps a bit

see ya

Startup FAQ on SuSe 6.3...

Post by QuestionExchang » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> After installing Suse 6.3 on apartition several prob's
started :

> what to do to put : a.) Sounblaster 128 PCI in to the system
and let it work
>                              b.) same with my Epson Stylus
Color 800
>                              c.) same  with my Mustek SCSI -
Scanner on a
> Tekram UW SCSI - Card (395)

> Kppp starts dialing provider and cuts shortly after building
up the
> connection
> Eject of cdrom does not work - I have to log in as root and
unmount it then
> eject works - a little complicated, uh !
> After installin RPM's : what to do to let it appear on the K-
desktop
> properties palette and to let it work ?
> After deinstalling RPM's : what to do to clean up the unused
links ?

> A lot of Questions but if someon can answer to only one of
these, it would
> be great !

> P.S.: Also in deutsch !

Sorry its in English but here goes.
As root start yast (use console not an xterm).
Go to System administration>Integrate hardware into system
select Configure printer. In the "Printer type" entry
select "other printer" scroll down the list to st800.
This is the printer description for EpsonStylusColor800
You'll probably want 720x720 as the default resolution.
In the "Integrate hardware" section of yast you will
also see "configure scanner" Select Mustek from the
type list. The SuSE kernel should be configured to support
your SCSI adapter already.
You can also use yast to make the cdrom accesible to
users. System Administration>GroupAdministration
select group disk
You will see that the last line is where you enter users you
wish to include in the group. Use spaces not commas to seperate
multiple entries. You should then be able to unmount your cd
by right clicking on the icon in KDE and selecting "unmount"
Hope This hepls
JC

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/showUsenetGuest.jhtml?ans_id=9596&cus...

1. problem installing Suse 6.3 on Multia

I have a Multia with 88MB RAM, int. 500MB SCSI HD, ext. 3GB SCSI HD
(id=4), Digital SCSI CD-ROM player (id=3)

When I make a boot menu in the ARC console following page 16 of the
manual the installation doesn't start. I ofcourse replaced the word
"Ruffian" with "noname"

I don't know what entries I have to use to make it work. Can anybody
help me please.

I registered with Suse, but haven't had an answer in 3 days and I want
to start using the software.

Thanks,
Roel Neumann
Amsterdam,
The Netherlands

2. Solaris 10 on HP xw9300

3. Network print problem, SuSE 6.3

4. Minicom input overruns?

5. Does SuSE-6.2 or 6.3 use knfsd or nfsd?

6. what windows only application you'd like to see on Linux?

7. Sound problems under SuSE 6.3

8. DHCP and MediaOne Express

9. Newbie - SuSE 6.3 install - SB16 - No sound

10. SuSE 6.3 Sound Mixer

11. Nameserver Suse 6.3 Firewals "Newbie"

12. Boot problem witch suse linux 6.3

13. Firewall (Suse 6.3) and Napster