Modem

Post by Taelo » Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:00:00

What would be a good 56k modem to use for Linux? I would like for it to
have voice, data, and fax. I would also like for it to be in the PCI
flavor, oh and it has to be cheap too.

Modem

Post by Coli » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>What would be a good 56k modem to use for Linux? I would like for it to
>have voice, data, and fax. I would also like for it to be in the PCI
>flavor, oh and it has to be cheap too.

External modems are almost guarenteed to work with Linux.  Internal ISA modems
work with Linux as long as they are not "Winmodems".  I have no idea about
PCI modems but I suspect they are as bad as "Winmodems".  Anyone know for sure?

--
cwv [at] idirect (dot) com

1. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

I have 2 network cards and 1 modem in a Linux Box with RH6.
My cable modem uses the modem to start a PPP session, and the network card
is then hooked up to the VPN of the ISP.

I would like to setup a IP Masquraded Firewall to hook some of my other
boxes
behind the firewall.

I  cannot find a HOW-TO to setup the Linux box using this type of Cable
Modem.  I
have only found 2 way cable modems.  Can someone point me it the right
direction.

My problem is that I don't know how to get Linux connected, then also, how
do I configure
ipchains or ipfwadm to use the correct rule set.  Do I do the modem or the
network card.  The
network card has a static IP of 10.0.0.1 which is usally used for VPNs.  My
cable company
is of corse not supporting Linux, so I have to do it myself.  The PPP dialup
uses DHCP to
assign my address so I have dhcp setup.

Thanks in advance..

Aaron

2. UGID RPC protocol

3. Modems, modems, modems

4. Modem Configuration

5. Modem, modem, modem, ... setup

6. Man Page fileset

7. modems modems modems

8. delay of redirection of stderr within a ksh script

9. Modem, modem, modem

10. Where to find Kermit, X-Modem, Y-Modem, & Z-Modem Source

11. Changing from Internal Modem to External Modem

12. Modem gives "Sorry, modem is not responding"

13. Modem Driver: Creative Modem Blaster PCI DI5791