RedHat 6.1 and XFree86 3.3.5

Post by M. Sanfor » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I currently run RedHat 6.0 with XFree86 3.3.5.  I am going to upgrade to
RedHat 6.1.  I don't want the RedHat 6.1 to upgrade my XFree86. Is there
a way I can selectively upgrade?

Thanks

RedHat 6.1 and XFree86 3.3.5

Post by Hal Burgi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>I currently run RedHat 6.0 with XFree86 3.3.5.  I am going to upgrade
>to RedHat 6.1.  I don't want the RedHat 6.1 to upgrade my XFree86. Is
>there a way I can selectively upgrade?

Theoretically, you can select individual packages if you do the custom
upgrade. But my hunch is if you deselect XFree, you will get a failed
dependency for something, and it will get installed anyway. But RH6.1 is
also 3.3.5, so what's the problem? Doing an upgrade (as opposed to
install) should preserve all your configs.

--
Hal B

--
            Linux helps those who help themselves

RedHat 6.1 and XFree86 3.3.5

Post by Michael McConnel » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >I currently run RedHat 6.0 with XFree86 3.3.5.  I am going to upgrade
> >to RedHat 6.1.  I don't want the RedHat 6.1 to upgrade my XFree86. Is
> >there a way I can selectively upgrade?

> Theoretically, you can select individual packages if you do the custom
> upgrade. But my hunch is if you deselect XFree, you will get a failed
> dependency for something, and it will get installed anyway. But RH6.1 is
> also 3.3.5, so what's the problem? Doing an upgrade (as opposed to
> install) should preserve all your configs.

and if you're feeling paranoid back up /etc/X11/XF86Config.

-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell                [Eridani Linux 6.1 available]
Eridani Linux  --  The Most Up-to-Date Red Hat-based Linux CDROMs Available

    "No. 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'" - Dr Who.

1. HELP! XFree86 and RedHat 6.1

I have Redhat 6.1 installed on my system. I tried to patch the latest
version of XFree86 onto my system. To do this I turned off the graphical
login in my system. After following the instructions in the xf86-howto, I
tried startx and the system boots into X.

Thinking that everything is fine, I turned the graphical login back on.
After restarting the system and tried to login, after entering my user name
and password, the screen flickers as if X was restarting and it returned
again to the graphical login screen, instead on the usual KDE desktop. Now I
do not know how to solve this problem.

I am rather new to Linux and do not know the problem lies in which config
file. Can anyone please help me with this?

2. acm-4.7-8

3. XFree86 on Redhat Linux 6.1

4. Crack 4.1 dumps core on Linux 2.0.24.

5. zombie process child of init

6. S3 ViRGE/GX2 + XFree86 4.0 + Redhat 6.1 problem ...

7. Wierd FTP File Rights

8. i810 / redhat 6.1 / XFree86 3.3.6

9. XFree86 4.0 xfs and RedHat 6.1

10. HP Vectra VL8 and RedHat 6.1/XFree86 3.3.5?

11. XFree86 4.0.2 rpms for RedHat 6.0, 6.1 and 6.2 available

12. Xfree86 on Redhat Linux 6.1