Anonymous ftp conversion of xxx => xxx.gz

Anonymous ftp conversion of xxx => xxx.gz

Post by John S Gwyn » Sat, 13 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I'm trying to setup an anonymous ftp site using the slackware-3.0
distribution.

I've not been able to get ftpd to automatically make any conversions on
request. /etc/ftpconversions looks reasonable (i.e., it exists and has
the words /bin/gzip in it :). I've cp'd both compress and gzip into
/home/ftp/bin. An attempted transfer looks like:

ftp> get v01.n072.gz
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for /bin/gzip.
226 Transfer complete.

Only an empty file is created. What am I missing?

john

Anonymous ftp conversion of xxx => xxx.gz

Post by Al Longye » Thu, 18 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Ah, Slackware 3.0 . . . .

What was forgotten in the 3.0 distribution was the fact that it was ELF. This
means that you need to have the ELF loader, ld-linux*, in the ~ftp/lib
directory.

You need the loader. Even if the program is 'statically' linked the loader is
used. If you forget the loader then programs such as "gzip" or "compress" or
even "ls" will refuse to work from the anonymous ftp access.

>I'm trying to setup an anonymous ftp site using the slackware-3.0
>distribution.

>I've not been able to get ftpd to automatically make any conversions on
>request. /etc/ftpconversions looks reasonable (i.e., it exists and has
>the words /bin/gzip in it :). I've cp'd both compress and gzip into
>/home/ftp/bin. An attempted transfer looks like:

>ftp> get v01.n072.gz
>200 PORT command successful.
>150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for /bin/gzip.
>226 Transfer complete.

>Only an empty file is created. What am I missing?

1. question: Who is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx tell xxx.yyy.yyy.zzz

This morning I noticed the activity LED on my cable modem has been going
nuts with loads of network traffic. I'm just sitting there not doing
anything. I'm using a Mandrake 7.2 box with IPCHAINS and Portsentry.

I checked my log files and Portsentry mail and see lots of DENY stuff.

I then fired up ethereal and start capturing. I see page after page of
messages such as:

Who has 24.177.63.127 Tell 65.112.55.123

The numbers are not accurate (I can post them if needed), but the messages
are all the same with differing IP numbers on both sides.

What does this mean? I called my broadband provider and they said they had
no idea.

Has my system been hacked?

Thanks,
Paul Nixon

2. NTP xntpd With Windows NT

3. Arpresolve error: can't allocate llinfo for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

4. Samba & Subnets

5. These "ICMP redirect from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" errors

6. slip troubles

7. Installation freezing at "Add default route xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" with NE2000 card

8. qmail local to remote

9. kernel: ICMP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: Source route failed

10. Telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 25

11. Arpresolve error: can't allocate llinfo for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

12. Netstat returns IP= xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.blackjack what's up?

13. ICMP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Source Route Failed ?