Apashe

Post by Kall » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 14:53:30

Hello!

I have a question:

Ive got myself a domain name, and I have a Linux maschine running as a
proxy, and now I want to install (start using) it also as a webserver.

How do I configure it so that its safe?
Is there something I should know about, some security issues?

Or do I just "plug and play"?
My domain name is kalleweb.fi, where do I tell the server to answer this
name?
How do I configure FTP for updates?

Thanks for your time!

Apashe

Post by Philip Dod » Sat, 11 Aug 2001 01:35:09

Quote:> How do I configure it so that its safe?
> Is there something I should know about, some security issues?

If you are going to run an internet webserver, what you don't know about it
now, you'll probly find out the hard way :)

Quote:> My domain name is kalleweb.fi, where do I tell the server to answer this
> name?

Apache comes with a lot of good documentation that'll help get the server up
and running.  My first advice would be to get the latest version (1.3.20 i
think we're up to) and compile it yourself enabling the options you need and
leaving out the ones you definitely don't.  again the apache docs or
http://www.apache.org will help you on what all these options mean.  after,
it's a case of picking up as much apache related advice you can have, cos in
terms of security, you probly can't ever have enough. try
http://apachetoday.com as a starting point, but there are many other
security related websites (http://www.grc.com springs to mind) and because
of the popularity of apache, online docs are easy to find...

final bit of advice is be paranoid about web security, but keep in mind what
level of security you need for the data you're keeping.  if it's a site with
photos of your goldfish you probly won't spend the time on security you
would if it was holding nuclear missile launch codes...

Have Fun!

Philip