128 MB RAM - How to get Linux to recognize?

128 MB RAM - How to get Linux to recognize?

Post by John McK » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I've been to Dejanews where a search revealed several posts asking how to get Linux to recognize
that there's 128 MB RAM installed.  The methods tried by some (unsuccessful) and implemented
(successfully) by others is to add append="mem=128M" to /etc/lilo.conf.  Been there, done that, and
still only 64 MB is recognized.  Where should this line be added?  Top, middle, end of file?
One post suggested that LILO be run after modifying lilo.conf.  Is not LILO "run" after a restart?
Help.

TIA,

John McKee

Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting what to have for lunch.

128 MB RAM - How to get Linux to recognize?

Post by me » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

You put the line "append=mem=128M" somewhere in the section of the
/etc/lilo.conf which you want to boot.
Changes in the /etc/lilo.conf file take effect ONLY after running
/sbin/lilo.
You should see messages appearing such as "added dos *
                                           added linux"

> I've been to Dejanews where a search revealed several posts asking how to get Linux to recognize
> that there's 128 MB RAM installed.  The methods tried by some (unsuccessful) and implemented
> (successfully) by others is to add append="mem=128M" to /etc/lilo.conf.  Been there, done that, and
> still only 64 MB is recognized.  Where should this line be added?  Top, middle, end of file?
> One post suggested that LILO be run after modifying lilo.conf.  Is not LILO "run" after a restart?
> Help.

> TIA,

> John McKee

> Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting what to have for lunch.

128 MB RAM - How to get Linux to recognize?

Post by Jimmy Navarr » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Huh, I'm also interested to know.  My /etc/lilo.conf shows this (=:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
other=/dev/hda1
        label=ntfs
        table=/dev/hda
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda7
        read-only

)=:  I have a multi-boot.   Where will I insert the append=mem=128M"?

--
Jimmy Navarro KE6FPK

In case your reply bounced, remove extra.

> You put the line "append=mem=128M" somewhere in the section of the
> /etc/lilo.conf which you want to boot.
> Changes in the /etc/lilo.conf file take effect ONLY after running
> /sbin/lilo.
> You should see messages appearing such as "added dos *
>                                            added linux"

> > I've been to Dejanews where a search revealed several posts asking how to get Linux to recognize
> > that there's 128 MB RAM installed.  The methods tried by some (unsuccessful) and implemented
> > (successfully) by others is to add append="mem=128M" to /etc/lilo.conf.  Been there, done that, and
> > still only 64 MB is recognized.  Where should this line be added?  Top, middle, end of file?
> > One post suggested that LILO be run after modifying lilo.conf.  Is not LILO "run" after a restart?
> > Help.

> > TIA,

> > John McKee

> > Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting what to have for lunch.

128 MB RAM - How to get Linux to recognize?

Post by John McK » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

That did the trick.

added linux*   is the message that appeared after running lilo.

Post by John Thompso » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I've been to Dejanews where a search revealed several posts asking how to get Linux to recognize
> that there's 128 MB RAM installed.  The methods tried by some (unsuccessful) and implemented
> (successfully) by others is to add append="mem=128M" to /etc/lilo.conf.  Been there, done that, and
> still only 64 MB is recognized.  Where should this line be added?  Top, middle, end of file?

Here's where I put it in mine:

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        append="mem=128M"
        label=linux-2.0.34
        root=/dev/hda7
        read-only

Another option is to upgrade to kernel 2.2.x which
recognizes memory values over 64MB without the "append"
kludge.

Quote:> One post suggested that LILO be run after modifying lilo.conf.  Is not LILO "run" after a restart?

No.  You need to run lilo before you reboot to write your
configuration changes properly.

--

128 MB RAM - How to get Linux to recognize?

I'm gonna try that append.  Thanks.

--
Jimmy Navarro KE6FPK

In case your reply bounced, remove extra.

128 MB RAM - How to get Linux to recognize?

Post by Brian M. Johnso » Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Try putting it under the first image=... listing.

Like:
boot...
delay...
image=/dev/hd??
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hd??
        append="mem=128M"
other=/...

See?  Good luck
BJ

> I've been to Dejanews where a search revealed several posts asking how to get Linux to recognize
> that there's 128 MB RAM installed.  The methods tried by some (unsuccessful) and implemented
> (successfully) by others is to add append="mem=128M" to /etc/lilo.conf.  Been there, done that, and
> still only 64 MB is recognized.  Where should this line be added?  Top, middle, end of file?
> One post suggested that LILO be run after modifying lilo.conf.  Is not LILO "run" after a restart?
> Help.

> TIA,

> John McKee

> Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting what to have for lunch.

128 MB RAM - How to get Linux to recognize?

Post by David Cor » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Brian,

How would you handle this if you booted from a boot disk, and the boot
disk never gave you the option to specify arguments (it took you right
into ......loading linux.... when first booted from)?

DC

> Try putting it under the first image=... listing.

> Like:
> boot...
> delay...
> image=/dev/hd??
>         label=linux
>         root=/dev/hd??
>         append="mem=128M"
> other=/...

> See?  Good luck
> BJ

> > I've been to Dejanews where a search revealed several posts asking how to get Linux to recognize
> > that there's 128 MB RAM installed.  The methods tried by some (unsuccessful) and implemented
> > (successfully) by others is to add append="mem=128M" to /etc/lilo.conf.  Been there, done that, and
> > still only 64 MB is recognized.  Where should this line be added?  Top, middle, end of file?
> > One post suggested that LILO be run after modifying lilo.conf.  Is not LILO "run" after a restart?
> > Help.

> > TIA,

> > John McKee

> > Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting what to have for lunch.

128 MB RAM - How to get Linux to recognize?

Post by Andy Horsfal » Tue, 23 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Try upgrading to Kernel 2.0.36 - it worked for me :)

writes

>Brian,

>How would you handle this if you booted from a boot disk, and the boot
>disk never gave you the option to specify arguments (it took you right
>into ......loading linux.... when first booted from)?

>DC

>> Try putting it under the first image=... listing.

>> Like:
>> boot...
>> delay...
>> image=/dev/hd??
>>         label=linux
>>         root=/dev/hd??
>>         append="mem=128M"
>> other=/...

>> See?  Good luck
>> BJ

>> > I've been to Dejanews where a search revealed several posts asking how to
>get Linux to recognize
>> > that there's 128 MB RAM installed.  The methods tried by some (unsuccessful)
>and implemented
>> > (successfully) by others is to add append="mem=128M" to /etc/lilo.conf.
>Been there, done that, and
>> > still only 64 MB is recognized.  Where should this line be added?  Top,
>middle, end of file?
>> > One post suggested that LILO be run after modifying lilo.conf.  Is not LILO
>"run" after a restart?
>> > Help.

>> > TIA,

>> > John McKee

>> > Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting what to have for lunch.

--
Andy Horsfall