problem getting OSS compatability to work with ALSA: aplay works; /dev/dsp gives noise.

problem getting OSS compatability to work with ALSA: aplay works; /dev/dsp gives noise.

Post by Dan Lambrig » Mon, 24 Jun 2002 12:45:25

All,

I had success getting ALSA to work on my debian 2.4.18 system (this I
verify by using aplay on a wav file).

I've had less success with OSS compatability within ALSA. I did
modprobe snd-pcm-oss and modprobe snd-mixer-oss and see them in lsmod.

But, when I cat a wav file to /dev/dsp I just get garbage noise
through the speakers.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

problem getting OSS compatability to work with ALSA: aplay works; /dev/dsp gives noise.

Post by Edward A. Fa » Tue, 25 Jun 2002 02:31:35

If you're trying to play audio by just writing something to /dev/dsp,
that won't work unless your audio stream just happens to match the default
settings of /dev/dsp, which I believe are 8-bit, unsigned mono.  16-bit
audio files would indeed sound like noise.

As far as I can tell, the free OSS project is dead.  If there's been any
significant work lately, I haven't seen it.  It's been years since I
last owned a laptop for which sound worked under Linux.

Alsa looks promising, but the last time I tried to use their drivers
they weren't even alpha quality -- frequently* the system and
requiring a reboot or even a power cycle.  I admit it's been over a year
since I last tried, but they don't even list my sound chip (YAMAHA AC-XG)
in their supported devices page, so I haven't bothered.

I think the OSS project has gone commercial; see www.opensound.com.
A typical driver for a sound chip runs about $35 and I think there's a
try-before-you buy option.  (They don't list the YAMAHA AC-XG either.)

Of course, if you're using a desktop, your chances of finding a working
driver are much better.

--

http://www.veryComputer.com/;      #**************F******!******!*!!****
and read 12 Simple Things You Can Do       ******!***************************#**

1. /dev/dsp and /dev/audio in OSS sound engine

hi all,

how does the OSS module handle the /dev/dsp and /dev/audio devices ?
there is no option available in the kernel setup, in 2.0.x it is.

if i try to write into the device, following error occurs :
bash: /dev/dsp: Operation not supported by device

any clues ?

bye
chris.

--
IT Support Grp, Department of Mathematics - Bonn University
{PGP|GPG} key available - ICQ #5068320

2. Setting up an X server on an EPS Laptop

3. Problems with OSS driver (/dev/dsp).

4. kernel support for PPP

5. Problems getting ALSA sound to work.

6. Clustering one 8-way or four 2-way machines

7. /dev/dsp, /dev/audio, /dev/midi., /dev/sndsta

8. Can't link kernel 1.2.13: Wrong starting address ?

9. Can OSS share /dev/dsp amongst more than one app?

10. /dev/dsp not working

11. Getting paid for Unix work (Re: Line-Noise Monger Lantz (Re: Hate Monger Limbaugh))

12. /dev/dsp doesn't work, but everything else seems fine...

13. problem getting at /dev/dsp