Creative VIBRA16X PnP Setup Heeeeeeeelp!!!

Creative VIBRA16X PnP Setup Heeeeeeeelp!!!

Post by Oliver Warmu » Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hi, folks
2 weeks ago, I installed S.u.S.e Linux 5.2. The system is running
nicely so far but I still got some problems with my sound
configuration.

I have a VIBRA16X Pnp sound card working just fine under WIN95.

Of course, I use the isapnp tool in order to intialize the card.
The params are set as follows:

SB16 IRQ        5
SB16 Base          220
8 Bit DMA       1
16 Bit DMA      5
OPL-3 Base        388
MPU Base          330

I recently read the newer Vibras don't have any 16 Bit DMA. Is that
true? How do set it then ?

The kernel sound support is configured as a module with all params set
according to the above listed values.

After booting the system ,  inititializing the card and sound module
insertion, I SUCCESSFULLY check the configuration by sending some *.au
and *.wav files to /dev/audio and /dev/dsp respectively. Even
/dev/sndstat looks as I expect it to (not parentheses surrounding ANY
config)

So far, so good!

Now the problem:

I just can't get rplayd get to work

Creative VIBRA16X PnP Setup Heeeeeeeelp!!!

Post by Oliver Warmu » Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Oops, I accidentally posted my message before it was finished.

Here comes the rest:

Rplayd doesn't seem to work as I get the following output

juanita:/root # rplayd -d -n -b 8192 -c 60 -s 8192
[1] 257
rplayd: bind: Address already in use
rplayd: exit(1)
[1]+  Exit 1                  rplayd -d -n -b 8192 -c 60 -s 8192

 I  don't really understand what the program actually is trying to
tell me. Memory Base Address ... IP-Address ????.
As I'm a complete newbie I can't say if the problem at  hand is due to
hardware conflicts or resulting from erroneous network configuration.

Basically, I work on a standalone system with temporary PPP links to
my university provider (works O.K.). Thus, being most of the time
offline, I feel free to name my machine "juanita". The domainname
required for PPP is "dialup.rwth-aachen.de".

Maybe the following configuration files for hosts and rplay give a
clue to the problem

/etc/hosts:
 127.0.0.1      juanita
 127.0.0.1      localhost

/usr/etc/rplay.hosts:
#
# All hosts have read access:
#
*:r

#
# Trusted hosts:
#
localhost:rwx
juanita:rwx

/usr/etc/rplay.servers:
localhost
juanita

-----

As I don't know the internal meaning of localhost I just left it
untouched.

Pheew!!

Sorry for the rather long description. But after wasting three days
reading tons of docs and HOWTOs I thought that someone might have the
10-minute-trick-that-will-resolve-all-my-problems at hand.

Many thanks in advance

Olli

Creative VIBRA16X PnP Setup Heeeeeeeelp!!!

Post by Oliver Warmu » Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Oops, I accidentally posted my message before it was finished.

Here comes the rest:

Rplayd doesn't seem to work as I get the following output

juanita:/root # rplayd -d -n -b 8192 -c 60 -s 8192
[1] 257
rplayd: bind: Address already in use
rplayd: xit(1)
[...]

1. Creative Labs ViBRA16X Pnp - RedHat Linux 6.0

I'm trying to install a Creative Labs ViBRA16X Pnp.  I'm pretty new to
Linux, but learning in leaps and bounds.  I have some experience with
FreeBSD in a mildly administrative role.

So far I've run pnpdump to probe the card.  I copied the output from pnpdump
to isapnp.conf from which I get an "Enable OK" when I run "isapnp
isapnp.conf" at command line.  When Linux boots there's nothing to indicate
that the card has some how failed.  I confirmed this by double-checking with
dmesg.  In Gnome I have everything I can't find sound related turned on and
I've tried to purposely play a sound.  Is there something I'm missing?  Is
there a sound server and/or module I have to install/run?  I've also heard
there may be conflicts with certain NIC's, name my 3Com 3c509.

Any help would be appreciated.  If anyone knows of some better help
resources other than redhat.com and linux.org, please tell me!

Thanks

---
Gary M. Cornelisse
Director of IT

http://www.consource.com

2. ANNOUNCE: Linux jcd - example java cd player

3. Creative Vibra16x pnp problem

4. Problems with mouse and resolution with XFree86 on Micron Transport

5. Creative VIBRA16X PnP

6. Help With Dumb Term

7. RedHat 5.2. Creative ViBRA16X PnP, & /dev/audio?

8. Executable Files won't run !

9. Creative pnp setup

10. Cannot get Creative Vibra16x Soundcard to work on alsa (2.4 kernel, SUSE 7.1)

11. SoundBlaster Vibra16X PNP

12. Soundbl. Vibra16X PnP problems

13. Vibra16x PnP