Need to get rid of LILO prompt

Post by Daniel Lanice » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Try getting the software that sometimes comes with new hard drives. One that
I have that works is MaxBlast from Maxtor. It allows you to repartition and
set up the drive for msdos. Cleans LILO right out. You can get it free at
Maxtor's website http://www.maxtor.com I believe. And it doesn't just work
on Maxtor drives.

You may also be able to use a Partition Magic rescue disk if you can get
your hands on one.

Daniel

Post by J.R. Tietsor » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>I'm guessing this means LILO is installed in the master boot record
>and DOS format isn't clearing it, so I was hoping someone could
>suggest a way I could clear that out.  Preferable without completely
>formatting the drive again, but at this point I'll accept any
>solution.

Brian,  you're exactly right.  The master boot record still
holds LILO.  Make yourself a DOS boot floppy with the
fdisk utility on it.  Boot from it, and then run 'fdisk /mbr'.
That should allow you to do away with LILO....

Cheers,
JR Tietsort

--
<SIG ========================================>
I have modified my reply-to address in an effort to

</SIG =======================================>

Need to get rid of LILO prompt

Post by Bria » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Strictly speaking, I guess this is not a LINUX problem, but I was
hoping someone might be able to help me, or point me in the right
direction.

I recently purchased a used computer at an auction which I found out
had been running LINUX (actually, according to LILO it was running
three versions of LINUX, but that's another story).  When I tried to
boot it, I was getting a number of error messages which I believe had
to do with the fact that it was no longer part of the network it has
been a server for.  Since I didn't think I knew enough about LINUX to
troubleshoot all these problems, and I didn't have the passwords
required to change anything on the system if I could, I decided to
boot from a floppy, format the hard drives, install Windows (which I'm
more familiar with) and then add LINUX later in a manner without such
a steep learning curve.

All was going well until I'd installed DOS and tried to boot to it, at
which point I still reached the LILO prompt, which would then hang me
up no matter which choice I made, since none of the files were there
anymore.

I'm guessing this means LILO is installed in the master boot record
and DOS format isn't clearing it, so I was hoping someone could
suggest a way I could clear that out.  Preferable without completely
formatting the drive again, but at this point I'll accept any
solution.

Thanks in advance!

Also, since I'll need to reinstall LINUX when this is all over, if
someone can give me a pointer to some info on setting up LINUX as a
secondary operating system, I'd appreciate it.

Need to get rid of LILO prompt

Post by David Efflan » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Boot a DOS or Win95 floppy containing DOS fdisk and type:

fdisk /mbr

David Efflandt/Elgin, IL USA

Need to get rid of LILO prompt

Post by Luca Rossett » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

[...]

> I'm guessing this means LILO is installed in the master boot record
> and DOS format isn't clearing it, so I was hoping someone could
> suggest a way I could clear that out.  Preferable without completely
> formatting the drive again, but at this point I'll accept any
> solution.

> Thanks in advance!

> Also, since I'll need to reinstall LINUX when this is all over, if
> someone can give me a pointer to some info on setting up LINUX as a
> secondary operating system, I'd appreciate it.

I would try to issue
fdisk /mbr
at dos prompt.

That is the right dos command to remove lilo from the MBR in normal
working condition (when you've configured your system with a dual boot
dos-linux).

Regards
--
Remove REM before and after my email address
Luca Rossetti

Web:http://space.tin.it/computer/tlqhr

Post by Gerry Coh » Sun, 05 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Strictly speaking, I guess this is not a LINUX problem, but I was
> hoping someone might be able to help me, or point me in the right
> direction.

> I recently purchased a used computer at an auction which I found out
> had been running LINUX (actually, according to LILO it was running
> three versions of LINUX, but that's another story).  When I tried to
> boot it, I was getting a number of error messages which I believe had
> to do with the fact that it was no longer part of the network it has
> been a server for.  Since I didn't think I knew enough about LINUX to
> troubleshoot all these problems, and I didn't have the passwords
> required to change anything on the system if I could, I decided to
> boot from a floppy, format the hard drives, install Windows (which I'm
> more familiar with) and then add LINUX later in a manner without such
> a steep learning curve.

> All was going well until I'd installed DOS and tried to boot to it, at
> which point I still reached the LILO prompt, which would then hang me
> up no matter which choice I made, since none of the files were there
> anymore.

> I'm guessing this means LILO is installed in the master boot record
> and DOS format isn't clearing it, so I was hoping someone could
> suggest a way I could clear that out.  Preferable without completely
> formatting the drive again, but at this point I'll accept any
> solution.

> Thanks in advance!

> Also, since I'll need to reinstall LINUX when this is all over, if
> someone can give me a pointer to some info on setting up LINUX as a
> secondary operating system, I'd appreciate it.

 I rather suspect that the only way to fix your probem, without acquiring
any additional software, is to create or get hold of a DOS boot disk. The
boot disk should contain the 'fdisk' and 'format' programs.
Use fdisk to delete any and all partitions on the drive. Having done this,
create a new primary DOS partition, make it bootable and format it with
the 'format /s' command.
The disk should now boot into DOS.
You can now load up all your DOS and WIN files as required.
If you have only used part of the drive for DOS/WIN, you should be able to
use the remainder for Linux (with LILO once again controlling the boot
operation).

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Gerry Cohn

Post by Steve Garc » Tue, 07 Jul 1998 04:00:00

writes:
:>> All was going well until I'd installed DOS and tried to boot to it, at
:>> which point I still reached the LILO prompt, which would then hang me
:>> up no matter which choice I made, since none of the files were there
:>> anymore.
:> I rather suspect that the only way to fix your probem, without acquiring
:>any additional software, is to create or get hold of a DOS boot disk. The
:>boot disk should contain the 'fdisk' and 'format' programs.
:>Use fdisk to delete any and all partitions on the drive. Having done this,
:>create a new primary DOS partition, make it bootable and format it with
:>the 'format /s' command.

Well, you're part way there.

Fdisk is the answer, but you can delete and create partitions all day, and you
won't get rid of the LILO prompt if it's indeed attached to the MBR.

The key is "fdisk /mbr" under DOS (or "fdisk /new_mbr") under OS/2.  That'll
clean up the MBR without damaging any of the existing partitions.

Post by Martin Rowa » Wed, 08 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>> Strictly speaking, I guess this is not a LINUX problem, but I was
>> hoping someone might be able to help me, or point me in the right
>> direction.

>> I recently purchased a used computer at an auction which I found out
>> had been running LINUX (actually, according to LILO it was running
>> three versions of LINUX, but that's another story).

Boot from a DOS floppy containing MS fdisk.exe. Type fdisk /MBR and all
might be well. (This puts the ms bootloader on the first sector). Then
proceed as some others have recommended ...

--
Martin Rowat
There once was a race between a tortoise and a hare ...

1. Getting rid of "F?" prompt on system boot?

    I'm wondering if it's possible to remove the "F?" prompt when I boot
my FreeBSD box?  I'm assuming this is the boot manager prompt and is
where I would be able to boot alternate OSes other than fbsd (I'm still
kind of new to FreeBSD ... am I right on this?).  But, because FreeBSD
is the only OS on this box, I have no need for this prompt.  Is there
anyway I can get rid of it?  'Tho getting rid of the prompt is no biggie
since it'll time out and proceed to boot fbsd, it does make my setup
"less-than-perfect" (imho) since I have no need for this prompt.

    Also, if I wanted to boot some alternate OS some day on this box how
would I add this to the boot manager menu?  Because I really have no
idea on how I would accomplish this.  What man page should I read?
Also, the boot(8) man page refers to a /boot.config file where I would
be able to specify some parameters for the boot loader.  Where can I get
more information on boot.config?  I seem to be missing its man page.

    What I really wanna know is all the little options that I can set
for the fbsd boot loader ;-).  Where do I go snooping around for this
info?

    Thanks in advance for any help on this! :-)

Arcadio Alivio Sincero Jr.
Computer Science Major, University of Maryland Baltimore County

WWW: http://www.sinceronet.ddns.org (COMING REAL SOON NOW(tm)!!!)

Snail mail: P.O. Box 2081, Annapolis MD, 21404-2081

"Hookt on fonix werked fer mi!"

2. problem: evaluating a command string from the shell using eval

3. Getting Rid of ANSI-ized Command Line Prompts

4. Drivers for SIS VGA Card

5. Getting rid of `hostname` before login prompt

6. New to Linux

7. getting rid of "Terminal Type?" prompt at login

8. Linux Help

9. Getting Rid of LILO

10. Newbe: Help getting rid of lilo on 98 disk....

11. Getting rid of LILO

12. Getting Rid Of LILO

13. Getting rid of LILO boot