Setup Linux on Thinkpad 755CX

Post by Louie Chi » Thu, 19 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hi there,
Since I have just installed the Slackware 2.2 into my Thinkpad system, and I
have also setup the X-windows as well without any problem.
Since, when I setup my Thinkpad to use the SVGA feature, I need to change the
video mode at DOS using the command "PS2 MODE3X ON", and use the loadlin to
boot Linux. However, when I get into the Linux, it cannot display as a full
screen, and it may have some garbage characters at the bottom of the screen.
But, when I try to start the X-window, it can use the whole screen with the
mode 800x600.
Thus, I think this may happen as the in-compatible on the term-type. Could
anyone give me a hand on it?

Thanks and Regards,
Louie

Post by bill davids » Sat, 21 Oct 1995 04:00:00

| Hi there,
| Since I have just installed the Slackware 2.2 into my Thinkpad system, and I
| have also setup the X-windows as well without any problem.
| Since, when I setup my Thinkpad to use the SVGA feature, I need to change the
| video mode at DOS using the command "PS2 MODE3X ON", and use the loadlin to
| boot Linux. However, when I get into the Linux, it cannot display as a full
| screen, and it may have some garbage characters at the bottom of the screen.
| But, when I try to start the X-window, it can use the whole screen with the
| mode 800x600.
| Thus, I think this may happen as the in-compatible on the term-type. Could
| anyone give me a hand on it?

I boot from LILO and use standard screen modes without problems.
When I go into X I first turn off dual scan with "tpdlscan -d"
followed by startx.

Post by Ivo Wel » Mon, 23 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>| Hi there,
>| Since I have just installed the Slackware 2.2 into my Thinkpad system, and I
>| have also setup the X-windows as well without any problem.
>| Since, when I setup my Thinkpad to use the SVGA feature, I need to change the
>| video mode at DOS using the command "PS2 MODE3X ON", and use the loadlin to
>| boot Linux. However, when I get into the Linux, it cannot display as a full
>| screen, and it may have some garbage characters at the bottom of the screen.
>| But, when I try to start the X-window, it can use the whole screen with the
>| mode 800x600.
>| Thus, I think this may happen as the in-compatible on the term-type. Could
>| anyone give me a hand on it?

You have two choices:

[1] either stay in small screen (i.e. 640*480) mode, and use the 25*80 mode
until you get into X.

[2] Use "ps2 mode3x on" then run loadlin on a modified kernel.  So, modify part
of the kernel to get you to 100*37 mode.  This requires changing
/usr/src/linux/arch/u386/boot/setup.S.  There are a few lines that state
something like
        mov ax, 5019
which put the display into 80*25 mode.  Now, you need to make it
        mov ax, 5025
which put the display into 80*37 mode.  Oddly enough, linux can figure out that
the display has 100 columns, but not that it has 37 lines.  (I am not a linux
hacker, but this one was easy enough so that once someone sent me the
instructions, even I could do it.)

/ivo welch
---

Assoc Prof of Finance           Anderson GSM at UCLA
Until Jan 96:           London Business School, Finance Dept,

--

Post by Lars Nilsand » Sat, 28 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: Hi there,
: Since I have just installed the Slackware 2.2 into my Thinkpad system, and I
: have also setup the X-windows as well without any problem.

I've a Thinkpad 755CX with a 1.2GB disk and have tried to install
Slackware Linux 3.0.0 (ELF) without success. So if you could let
me know which root- & boot- disks, bootparameters etc you used
it would make my day (probably ;-).
(should I go for Slackware 2.2 instead?)

Thanks and regards,

/Lasse
______________
Lars Nilsander                                  System Manager
Swedish Institute of Computer Science (SICS)    Tel:    +46 8 752 15 53
PO Box 1263, S-164 28 KISTA                     Fax:    +46 8 751 72 30

1. IBM ThinkPad 755CX and LINUX

I'm very close to buying an IBM ThinkPad 755CX (ooh, a "dream machine"!).
But first, I'd like to know:

   [1] has anyone run LINUX on this machine?
       how well does it all work?
       what running time do you get with the Li-ION battery under LINUX?
       is it easy to configure XFree to take advantage of the SVGA screen?
       any recommendations for an Ethernet PCMCIA card?

   [2] what is the e-mail address of the ThinkPad mailing list?

Thank you very much for your help!

2. SVGALIB doesn't have all my video modes

3. Installing Linux on IBM Thinkpad 755CX

4. Samba

5. Linux boot problem on Thinkpad 755CX

6. boot device mirroring

7. Thinkpad 755CX and Slackware problems

8. PC and PPC compatability

9. Sound on ThinkPad 755CX

10. XFree86 Config problem on ThinkPad 755CX

11. XF86Config for Thinkpad 755CX wanted

12. external CD-ROM for ThinkPad 755CX

13. thinkpad 755cx, dock I, SCSI CD