Redhat 5.0 X mouse problem, cdrom problem... hey I'm new to these...

Redhat 5.0 X mouse problem, cdrom problem... hey I'm new to these...

Post by Strik3 » Fri, 10 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Ok....
I've just installed my first linux, that is the Redhat 5 (Hurricane)..
Now... my mouse is not working in the X (run using 'startx')
I've run mouseconfig from the prompt... but it still not working.... my
mouse is Logitech, Serial/COM1, 3 buttons.

Second, when I installed Redhat, I'm using a borrowed ATAPI IDE CDROM,
which is automatically detected by linux, but actually my CDROM is Optic
Storage, Lasermate CR328A which is listed in the hardware compatibility....
I've tried this at LILO: "linux cdrom=/dev/optcd", or "linux
cdrom=Lasermate", or "linux cdrom=optcd" but it's not working...
when I look at cdrom, it's still linked to /hdb (which was the ATAPI IDE
CDROM)... How to change it ???

Last of all, can someone explain to me how to install a program... or point
me to a website somewhere which explain how to install a program ???

Thanks a lot.....

Redhat 5.0 X mouse problem, cdrom problem... hey I'm new to these...

Post by Roy Stogn » Sat, 11 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I've just installed my first linux, that is the Redhat 5 (Hurricane)..
>Now... my mouse is not working in the X (run using 'startx')
>I've run mouseconfig from the prompt... but it still not working.... my
>mouse is Logitech, Serial/COM1, 3 buttons.

Try running Xconfigurator first.

Quote:>Second, when I installed Redhat, I'm using a borrowed ATAPI IDE CDROM,
>which is automatically detected by linux, but actually my CDROM is Optic
>Storage, Lasermate CR328A which is listed in the hardware compatibility....
>I've tried this at LILO: "linux cdrom=/dev/optcd", or "linux
>cdrom=Lasermate", or "linux cdrom=optcd" but it's not working...
>when I look at cdrom, it's still linked to /hdb (which was the ATAPI IDE
>CDROM)... How to change it ???

You may need to do a kernel recompile if you have some wierd CD drive.
Install the kernel-sources, read the Kernel-HOWTO.

Quote:>Last of all, can someone explain to me how to install a program... or point
>me to a website somewhere which explain how to install a program ???

For packaged programs (of which there is a huge directory at
http://rufus.w3.org/linux/RPM) "rpm -Uvh packagename.i386.rpm" will do
it.  Otherwise, the program is usually in a tarball of source code.
"tar xvzf packagename.tar.gz" will unball it, and in it's directory
will usually be a README file.  Basically, you'll need to run "make"
to build it, "make install" to install it, and perhaps "./configure"
before hand to configure the code for your system.
---
Roy Stogner

Redhat 5.0 X mouse problem, cdrom problem... hey I'm new to these...

Post by Robert Johnso » Mon, 13 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Mouseconfig for RH5.0 has a bug.  Download the latest from the ftp site.  It
worked for me.

Post by Dan Hick » Thu, 16 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Ok....
> I've just installed my first linux, that is the Redhat 5 (Hurricane)..
> Now... my mouse is not working in the X (run using 'startx')
> I've run mouseconfig from the prompt... but it still not working.... my
> mouse is Logitech, Serial/COM1, 3 buttons.

As a Linux newbie I had a lot of trouble getting my mouse to work.  It
turns out that my problem was that the mouse is on COM2 (cua1), not
COM1.  mouseconfig would detect the mouse on COM2 but then set
/dev/mouse to COM1 (cua0).

First, when you run mouseconfig does it say that it thinks it found a
mouse on one COM port?  It may be that your COM port config is "odd" and
your first COM port (DOS COM1) is actually the second physical port
(cua1).  See what mouseconfig says it found.

Next, do "ls -l /dev/mouse".  This should answer "/dev/mouse -> cua0"
for physical COM1.  Note that it shouldn't be "/dev/mouse -> /dev/cua0"
-- this won't work.  If it's not right you can use ln -s to fix it.  (I
think the command would be "ln -s cua0 /dev/mouse", but I always have
trouble with the operands of ln.)

To check what physical port the mouse is on you can do a "cat /dev/cua0"
and move the mouse around.  If you see junk on the screen then you have
the right port.  (Use Ctrl-C to break out of the cat.)

Redhat 5.0 X mouse problem, cdrom problem... hey I'm new to these...

Post by Robert Johnso » Thu, 16 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Sorry I havn't replied sooner but have been busy.  I downloaded the new
mouseconfig.rpm and installed.  It now see's my mouse but I have a 1" square
cursor.  Very strange.  Any ideas?

Regards,

Robert

>> Ok....
>> I've just installed my first linux, that is the Redhat 5 (Hurricane)..
>> Now... my mouse is not working in the X (run using 'startx')
>> I've run mouseconfig from the prompt... but it still not working.... my
>> mouse is Logitech, Serial/COM1, 3 buttons.

>As a Linux newbie I had a lot of trouble getting my mouse to work.  It
>turns out that my problem was that the mouse is on COM2 (cua1), not
>COM1.  mouseconfig would detect the mouse on COM2 but then set
>/dev/mouse to COM1 (cua0).

>First, when you run mouseconfig does it say that it thinks it found a
>mouse on one COM port?  It may be that your COM port config is "odd" and
>your first COM port (DOS COM1) is actually the second physical port
>(cua1).  See what mouseconfig says it found.

>Next, do "ls -l /dev/mouse".  This should answer "/dev/mouse -> cua0"
>for physical COM1.  Note that it shouldn't be "/dev/mouse -> /dev/cua0"
>-- this won't work.  If it's not right you can use ln -s to fix it.  (I
>think the command would be "ln -s cua0 /dev/mouse", but I always have
>trouble with the operands of ln.)

>To check what physical port the mouse is on you can do a "cat /dev/cua0"
>and move the mouse around.  If you see junk on the screen then you have
>the right port.  (Use Ctrl-C to break out of the cat.)

1. HELP: RedHat 5.0 & PPP 'Dial-in' (routes problem)

Hello,

Don't know if this will help but I had the exact same type problem; I fixed it
by tying the following command after the pppd connection was established.

route add default ppp0

works like a champ now. BTW: I'm running Slackware 3.4 with pppd 2.2

Hope this helps.
-Dave

2. neighbour table overflow

3. Redhat 5.0, Initio UW SCSI HD and IDE CDROM problem.

4. Help: can't establish ppp connection

5. HELP: RedHat 5.0 & PPP 'Dial-in' (routes problem)

6. Compression question

7. Old Logitech mouse problem in RedHat 5.0

8. Errors while installing Window Maker

9. redhat 5.0 - mouse/screen problems /w toshiba laptop

10. redhat 5.0 - toshiba mouse/screen problems

11. Help with mouse problem (redhat 5.0)

12. Redhat 5.0/Noname MB Mouse problems

13. Redhat 5.0 mouse problem