obtaining ppp options from windows .INF file

obtaining ppp options from windows .INF file

Post by john gallowa » Sat, 19 Sep 1998 04:00:00

(This was posted earlier under a different subject.   Hopefully this
subject
is clearer and will generate a response.)

I have a Zoom 2945 external modem and I am not getting very high pbs
connections on it under Linux.
Under Windows I get much faster connections (under linux my ftp rates
are typically 3.0 -3.3 kbytes per
second, under Windows they are around 5.0 kbytes per second).  Also
under Windows ppp connects
much faster and quieter, under Linux it is takes longer and is much
noisier.

I start pppd with:
exec /usr/sbin/pppd

My options file contains:
/dev/modem 115200
crtscts
modem
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -f /etc/ppp/my.chat.script"
noipdefault
passive
domain myISP.com
:
defaultroute

my.chat.script contains:
ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' "" AT\&F OK  AT+MS=56,1,32000,56000 ""
ATDTmyNumber CONNECT "" TIMEOUT 60 ogin:-\\r-ogin: myLogin TIMEOUT 60
sword: myPassword TIMEOUT 60 ascend%  ppp

I tried it like:
ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' "" AT\&F OK  ATDTmyNumber CONNECT ""
TIMEOUT 60 ogin:-\\r-ogin: myLogin TIMEOUT 60 sword: myPassword TIMEOUT
60 ascend%  ppp

For documentation I have the owners Manual which contains all the codes
for the modem, and I have
the .INF file.  I have no idea how to read an .INF file and turn it into

pppd options.

Post by J.M. Pad » Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>(This was posted earlier under a different subject.   Hopefully this
>subject
>is clearer and will generate a response.)

>I have a Zoom 2945 external modem and I am not getting very high pbs
>connections on it under Linux.
>Under Windows I get much faster connections (under linux my ftp rates
>are typically 3.0 -3.3 kbytes per
>second, under Windows they are around 5.0 kbytes per second).  Also
>under Windows ppp connects
>much faster and quieter, under Linux it is takes longer and is much
>noisier.

>For documentation I have the owners Manual which contains all the codes
>for the modem, and I have
>the .INF file.  I have no idea how to read an .INF file and turn it into

>pppd options.

If you are running W95 you should get the init string from the
Registry:
Start
Run regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
System
CurrentControlSet
Services
Class
Modem
0000
Settings
Init
  Select (1) , then click on Edit/Modify.  This will display the
  current string. Click on cancel after you copy it.
  Select (2) if there is one and repeat the process.  These
  are the additional modem settings that were put in the
  Control Panel/Modems/General/Properties/Connection/Advanced/
  Extra Settings.

Regards,

 "The last temptation is the greatest treason:
  To do the right deed for the wrong reason."
  --T.S. Eliot