XFree86 Questions.....

Post by sjhill7 » Sun, 09 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I have some questions concerning XFree86, the window managers and a
few other things that I could not seem to find in the man pages, HOWTOs,
etc.

1) After I initiate 'startx' my monitor flickers about 8 or so times
   and then I get the X screen just fine. I am using XF86_SVGA with
   an Everex EV-634 card w/1M RAM. It uses the Tseng 4000 chip set.
   I am concerned because I can hear some audible high frequencies
   when it is doing this. My monitor seems to be fine when I go
   back to MS Windows and no damage is evident. Is this because of
   all the modlines in the 'XF86Config' file and it is cycling
   through all of them? I tried commenting out a few of these lines,
   but it didn't seem to make a difference.

2) I am using the 'fvwmrc' window manager and can not see a visible
   difference between it and 'mwm'. What, if any, differences are
   there?

3) The X application 'xfilemanager' gives me a Segmentation Fault
   no matter what window manager I use. It starts to build the
   window and then dies. Any special setups for it? I have 16M of
   physical RAM and 24M of virtual RAM (swap space).

4) Lastly, is there a Linux site that contains all past posts to
   the newsgroups with a search engine so that I don't duplicate
   asking questions and bothering people for the same information
   that may have been addressed previously?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

XFree86 Questions.....

Post by Brett Kosins » Sun, 09 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I have some questions concerning XFree86, the window managers and a
> few other things that I could not seem to find in the man pages, HOWTOs,
> etc.

> 1) After I initiate 'startx' my monitor flickers about 8 or so times
>    and then I get the X screen just fine. I am using XF86_SVGA with
>    an Everex EV-634 card w/1M RAM. It uses the Tseng 4000 chip set.
>    I am concerned because I can hear some audible high frequencies
>    when it is doing this. My monitor seems to be fine when I go
>    back to MS Windows and no damage is evident. Is this because of
>    all the modlines in the 'XF86Config' file and it is cycling
>    through all of them? I tried commenting out a few of these lines,
>    but it didn't seem to make a difference.

  This flickering occurs when the X-server performs video timings on your
video card to determine dot clocks.  Just get the clocks that the server
finds (do a <server name> -probeonly) and place them in your XF86Config in
the section for your video card.  eg:

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Generic SVGA"
  VendorName "Dunno"
  BoardName  "Cheapo #1"
  Chipset    "Noname"
  Clocks <put clock timings here>
EndSection

This way, the server uses the clocks it finds in the XF86Config rather than
trying to detect them itself.

Quote:> 2) I am using the 'fvwmrc' window manager and can not see a visible
>    difference between it and 'mwm'. What, if any, differences are
>    there?

  Dunno. I think mwm doesn't support virtual desktops. ???

Quote:> 3) The X application 'xfilemanager' gives me a Segmentation Fault
>    no matter what window manager I use. It starts to build the
>    window and then dies. Any special setups for it? I have 16M of
>    physical RAM and 24M of virtual RAM (swap space).

  This happens on all Slackware 2.0.0 distributions.  Just upgrade to a
newer version.

Quote:> 4) Lastly, is there a Linux site that contains all past posts to
>    the newsgroups with a search engine so that I don't duplicate
>    asking questions and bothering people for the same information
>    that may have been addressed previously?

  All you can do is check out http://www.ssc.com/linux or
http://www.linuxnow.com.  They have search engines there that search through
the how-to's and resources.  Also, check on your local machine under
/usr/doc/faq/howto for the Linux FAQ's that probably came with your system
(assuming you installed them) or check them out at the systems I mentioned
above.  Later!

Brett.

1. XFree86 question

Hi All:
I use RH7.1 on a stand-alone i386.
I recenlty upgraded to XFree86 4.1.0 using tar files from XFree site
and their install routine.

Now everytime I start rpm to install a new software that needs XFree I
get failed dependencies for files that are already on the system.  So, I
re-run the rpm using --nodeps parameter and all is well.

Q: Is there a way to cure this problem once and for all?
BTW: the path to XFree files is in the ld.so.conf file.

Thanks for any help.

Masoud

2. Tuning a FreeBSD kernel for maximum web serving?

3. XFree86 Question

4. Genius Netmouse Pro

5. Xfree86 questions

6. MB MSI 845G Max and Mandrake linux 10.0 installation

7. xfree86 question, I WANT MY 800x600!!!!!

8. WANTED : Motif on Solaris 2.1

9. XFree86 question

10. xfree86 question?

11. XFree86 question