LILO/lilo.conf question?

Post by Simon Caldo » Tue, 09 Dec 1997 04:00:00

--------------4BEFDA96F6F656BB18350736

Using COL 1.1

Having got my new kernel together I was assuming that the best way to
test it was to get LILO to boot it as a choice from my boot sources as
arch/i386/boot/zImage.

Having edited /etc/lilo.conf and rebooted I had expected to see my new
linux-sound as an option. Having looked all night I cannot seem to find
a reference to make lilo recognise the new lilo.conf.

Any Clues?
--------------4BEFDA96F6F656BB18350736

begin:          vcard
fn:             Simon Caldow
n:              Caldow;Simon

x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

--------------4BEFDA96F6F656BB18350736--

LILO/lilo.conf question?

Post by Maarten Korste » Tue, 09 Dec 1997 04:00:00

You  still have to run the program "lilo" to copy the configuration from your lilo.conf to the boot-record.

Maarten Korsten

> Using COL 1.1

> Having got my new kernel together I was assuming that the best way to
> test it was to get LILO to boot it as a choice from my boot sources as
> arch/i386/boot/zImage.

> Having edited /etc/lilo.conf and rebooted I had expected to see my new
> linux-sound as an option. Having looked all night I cannot seem to find
> a reference to make lilo recognise the new lilo.conf.

> Any Clues?

>                                                   ------------------------------------------------------------------------

>   Simon Caldow

>     HTML Mail
>     Netscape Conference Address
>     Netscape Conference DLS Server
>   Additional Information:
>   Last Name     Caldow
>   First Name    Simon
>   Version       2.1

LILO/lilo.conf question?

Post by Simon Caldo » Tue, 09 Dec 1997 04:00:00

--------------ED028AB8C55F7B7FDAD984FF

Many thanks to all those patient persons who answered my dumb question.
--------------ED028AB8C55F7B7FDAD984FF

begin:          vcard
fn:             Simon Caldow
n:              Caldow;Simon

x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

--------------ED028AB8C55F7B7FDAD984FF--

LILO/lilo.conf question?

Post by thrash » Tue, 09 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Having got my new kernel together I was assuming that the best way to
>test it was to get LILO to boot it as a choice from my boot sources as
>arch/i386/boot/zImage.

>Having edited /etc/lilo.conf and rebooted I had expected to see my new
>linux-sound as an option. Having looked all night I cannot seem to find
>a reference to make lilo recognise the new lilo.conf.

>Any Clues?

try running lilo without any parameters?

LILO/lilo.conf question?

Post by Rainshad » Wed, 10 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Having edited /etc/lilo.conf and rebooted I had expected to see my new
> linux-sound as an option. Having looked all night I cannot seem to find
> a reference to make lilo recognise the new lilo.conf.

> Any Clues?

You'll prolly get this a bunch, but you have to run lilo from
the command line every time you change lilo.conf. This is the
only way that LILO gets updated.

-Rain', total Unix novice! ;P

--
"Please, no gratitude. Just money."
                                -Guardian Knights #3

1. lilo.conf and lilo.conf~

Hi,

I wonder if anyone knows what's going on.  I've upgraded my kernel to a
newer one, and I went to change my /etc/lilo.conf file to get it to boot
into it correctly.  So far so good, the online documentation was fine.

So now I had Windows, the older kernel and the newer kernel as options.  So
far so good.

Then I decided to delete the older kernel.  I deleted any of the files that
had anything related to the older kernel from /boot.  I then changed
lilo.conf to remove the entry for the older kernel aswell.

I restart my computer and I get the exact same boot options - Windows,
Older kernel and new kernel.

After a bit of digging, I found there was a different file called
/etc/lilo.conf~ which had my old settings to boot.  So this file was
probably the one it was using to choose my boot options.  Why is that?

Also, it's weird because this old lilo.conf~ file which has the old kernel
still as an option runs fine.

image="/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2"
        label="linux"
        read-only
        root="/dev/hda4"

When I select "linux" from Lilo, it boots into Linux fine, even there is no
"/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-1", (not even a hidden file of that name).

Here's a copy of linux.conf~ file in all its entirity:

boot="/dev/hda"
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout="50"
message=/boot/message
lba32
default=Windows

image="/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2"
        label="linux"
        read-only
        root="/dev/hda4"

other=/dev/hda1
        optional
        label=Windows

image="/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.3-12"
        label="LinuxNew"
        root="/dev/hda4"
        read-only

(the linux.conf file is the same, just without the /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2
image).

Any help appreciated,

Michael

2. "no RSA support in libssl and libcrypto"

3. lilo/lilo.conf and lba32 command line

4. Sed 3.0

5. lilo can't find /etc/lilo.conf, even though it's there

6. SCSI Performance

7. lilo.conf ignored by lilo at boot time

8. sorry.. another X question from a newbie..

9. Does LILO use any other configuration file besides lilo.conf?

10. LILO - Can I add a command line argument to /etc/lilo.conf?

11. LILO not reading LILO.CONF

12. Lilo bombs on append line in lilo.conf

13. Sample lilo.conf to solve the LILO stops at LI problem