Grphics Card Not suppported

Grphics Card Not suppported

Post by Tim Espla » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 22:20:10



I'm trying to install a gnome workstation, with X windows.. The problem I
have is getting X to run.. I've got linux installed, but becouse it's an
old-ish version (6.02) it doesnt support my graphics card (GE Force 2)..
I've tried running a couple of searches for the drivers.. but to no avail..
Could someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

 
 
 

Grphics Card Not suppported

Post by Lee J. Moor » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 22:28:26


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hey Tim!

On Sat, 08 Jun 2002 at 13:20 GMT,

you addressed comp.os.linux.setup as follows:

Quote:> I'm trying to install a gnome workstation, with X windows.. The problem I
> have is getting X to run.. I've got linux installed, but becouse it's an
> old-ish version (6.02)

Where do you get 6.02 from?  XFree is currently at 4.2.0, the
Kernel (stable) is at 2.4.18....

Quote:> it doesnt support my graphics card (GE Force 2)..

You need the NVidia-glx and NVidia-kernel drivers from
www.nvidia.com.  If you're using an RPM based distribution, they
probably already ship with it.

Quote:> I've tried running a couple of searches for the drivers.. but to no avail..
> Could someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction?

http://www.nvidia.com.

- --
Lee J. Moore
Gentoo Linux/Portage 1.9.13

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.7 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAj0CBnEACgkQ6k8to8I6M0wt7gCfd/0eq+0GZrkH8v4/wDWQeR9c
FEkAoKaNt7S4ELdy5QRGy3fhGHLj7iYs
=dwAv
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

 
 
 

Grphics Card Not suppported

Post by Tim Espla » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 23:25:56


Quote:> Where do you get 6.02 from?  XFree is currently at 4.2.0, the
> Kernel (stable) is at 2.4.18....

I had it lurking around - a mate of mine downloaded it when it was first
released, and gave me a copy of it on CD..

Quote:

> > it doesnt support my graphics card (GE Force 2)..

> You need the NVidia-glx and NVidia-kernel drivers from
> www.nvidia.com.  If you're using an RPM based distribution, they
> probably already ship with it.

Being an utter linux newbie, I have to admit that that has sailed right over
my head!

Quote:

> > I've tried running a couple of searches for the drivers.. but to no
avail..
> > Could someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction?

> http://www.nvidia.com.

I tried nvidia.com, but all the drivers I could find were for versions 7 and
upwards.. I think I've taken the wimps way out, am and now downloading
Mandrake 7.2!

Thanks for your help!

Tim

 
 
 

Grphics Card Not suppported

Post by Lee J. Moor » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 23:29:38


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hey Tim!

On Sat, 08 Jun 2002 at 14:25 GMT,

you addressed comp.os.linux.setup as follows:

[..]

Quote:> I tried nvidia.com, but all the drivers I could find were for versions 7 and
> upwards..

Distribution versions.  Not Linux versions.  I really don't know
what that 6.02 thing is you're using?  The distribution name is
important because there's no such thing as a 'Linux version'.
The kernel version and/or distribution name *and* version are
going to be more understood. :-)

Quote:> I think I've taken the wimps way out, am and now downloading
> Mandrake 7.2!

No!  Get Mandrake 8.2 at least!  Better hardware support, etc.,
and it will setup your GeForce card automatically (actually 7.2
probably will but the software it comes with is getting old now).
- --
Lee J. Moore
Gentoo Linux/Portage 1.9.13

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.7 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAj0CFMgACgkQ6k8to8I6M0zdHACgq0aGSQa8sKnRSeFKWfdY7pmY
N60Ani96ZohNzZ20PY3HgbEpt0h/xyEf
=tFM/
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

 
 
 

Grphics Card Not suppported

Post by Cheapskat » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 00:01:45



> I'm trying to install a gnome workstation, with X windows.. The problem I
> have is getting X to run.. I've got linux installed, but becouse it's an
> old-ish version (6.02) it doesnt support my graphics card (GE Force 2)..
> I've tried running a couple of searches for the drivers.. but to no avail..
> Could someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction?

> Thanks in advance.

> Tim

it is most likely that old version not supporting that graphic card, get
a copy of Redhat7.1 or 7.2 or 7.3 which includes XFree86-4.x.x and you
will have much better results, i have problems getting XFree86-3.x.x
working in my computer too
 
 
 

Grphics Card Not suppported

Post by Tim Espla » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 00:15:07


Quote:> Distribution versions.  Not Linux versions.  I really don't know
> what that 6.02 thing is you're using?  The distribution name is
> important because there's no such thing as a 'Linux version'.
> The kernel version and/or distribution name *and* version are
> going to be more understood. :-)

God! I've *finally* woken up and smelt the what-not.. I thought I'd written
the distribution.. obviously not.. RedHat 6.02... doh!

Quote:> No!  Get Mandrake 8.2 at least!  Better hardware support, etc.,
> and it will setup your GeForce card automatically (actually 7.2
> probably will but the software it comes with is getting old now).

I've decided against downloading another version for one simple reason - it
would take me far to long!!
If you could give me a little more info as regards the drivers though.. I'm
still a little unclear as to what I'm supposed to be looking for..
*I'll go sit in the corner with the "D" hat on..*

Tim

 
 
 

Grphics Card Not suppported

Post by Bit Twist » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 00:35:29



>> Distribution versions.  Not Linux versions.  I really don't know
>> what that 6.02 thing is you're using?  The distribution name is
>> important because there's no such thing as a 'Linux version'.
>> The kernel version and/or distribution name *and* version are
>> going to be more understood. :-)

> God! I've *finally* woken up and smelt the what-not.. I thought I'd written
> the distribution.. obviously not.. RedHat 6.02... doh!

>> No!  Get Mandrake 8.2 at least!  Better hardware support, etc.,
>> and it will setup your GeForce card automatically (actually 7.2
>> probably will but the software it comes with is getting old now).

> I've decided against downloading another version for one simple reason - it
> would take me far to long!!
> If you could give me a little more info as regards the drivers though.. I'm
> still a little unclear as to what I'm supposed to be looking for..
> *I'll go sit in the corner with the "D" hat on..*

might have problems running new drivers on old software.

http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart
under CheapBytes CDs (top left)
contains linux x86 Install cds for ~$2 each and up + shipping

Pink Tie is Redhat, RH would not let them use Redhat on the
inexpensive cds.

Redhat 7.x x86 install and doc cd (~$4)
Linux Mandrake 8.x  (GPL Version) (~$6)

For people accross the pond,
        http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk
        http://www.linux123.co.uk/

and for the down under fokes
        http://www.cetustech.com.au/

Mandrake is based on Redhat, has more utilities, a much
better user friendly installer.

Pick custom/expert install if you do not want to wipe
your disk. Load cd and read the docs with your browser.

Install docs are on the Mandrake cd and readable via Micro$not.

For hardware compatibility
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/fhard.php3
http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/hardware/index.html
http://lhd.datapower.com

I get several people at work to go in on my credit card
and I get my shipping reduced to  $1 a cd when we split
shipping.

 
 
 

Grphics Card Not suppported

Post by Lee J. Moor » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 00:50:28


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hey Tim!

On Sat, 08 Jun 2002 at 15:15 GMT,

you addressed comp.os.linux.setup as follows:

[..]

Quote:> I've decided against downloading another version for one simple reason - it
> would take me far to long!!
> If you could give me a little more info as regards the drivers though.. I'm
> still a little unclear as to what I'm supposed to be looking for..
> *I'll go sit in the corner with the "D" hat on..*

Can you get a more recent distribution from a magazine or
somebody who sells the CD's for /$1 per disk?  The problem here
is that RH6.x is very old and ships with XFree3.x which I don't
think you'll find decent driver support for.

NVidia GEForce2/4 cards really are excellent graphics cards for
Linux (with 2.4.x kernel) - you'd be hard pushed to find *two*
lots of drivers for many other cards under Linux - and the
Manufacturers GLX & Kernel (and even integrated AGP) drivers
work far better than those that ship with XFree4.x. by default.

They are available here:
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=linux

But as you can see, even they don't support such an old version
of Red Hat.  If you can get your hands on a copy of Mandrake 8.1
or 8.2, I'd snap it up because you'll have it up and running in
no time, your hardware will be supported (IIRC it ships with the
NVidia manufacturers GLX & Kernel drivers) and you'll have
plenty of software to be playing with.

Sorry I can't be of more help but I'm too afraid to advise you
with drivers on XFree3.x.

- --
Lee J. Moore
Gentoo Linux/Portage 1.9.13

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.7 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAj0CJ7sACgkQ6k8to8I6M0zO9ACfYJY50AngisPpF6hD4WoO6J2u
80wAni5/YIu5KDNtG8s47JWNpy1sWt3P
=uJaZ
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

 
 
 

Grphics Card Not suppported

Post by Tim Espla » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 01:23:10


Quote:> Can you get a more recent distribution from a magazine or
> somebody who sells the CD's for /$1 per disk?  The problem here
> is that RH6.x is very old and ships with XFree3.x which I don't
> think you'll find decent driver support for.

I probably could.. The one problem that I have, is that although I'm
engliah, I now live in france.. All the distor's I've seen on the front of
mags over here are in french, which I'm not overly good at yet!

Quote:> Sorry I can't be of more help but I'm too afraid to advise you
> with drivers on XFree3.x.

Thats fine! You've been a great help anyway.. I guess I'll just have to
order in from over the *smaller* pond - or get a mate to send me a copy..
I'll work it out.. don't doubt that I'll be back though!!

Tim

 
 
 

Grphics Card Not suppported

Post by Lee J. Moor » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 01:28:47


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hey Tim!

On Sat, 08 Jun 2002 at 16:23 GMT,

you addressed comp.os.linux.setup as follows:

[..]

Quote:> I probably could.. The one problem that I have, is that although I'm
> engliah, I now live in france.. All the distor's I've seen on the front of
> mags over here are in french, which I'm not overly good at yet!

Hey - isn't Mandrake a French distribution?  If you can't get a
copy over there, you might want to email the Linux Emporium
(www.linuxemporium.co.uk) to see if they'll deliver to you in
France.

Quote:

>> Sorry I can't be of more help but I'm too afraid to advise you
>> with drivers on XFree3.x.

> Thats fine! You've been a great help anyway.. I guess I'll just have to
> order in from over the *smaller* pond - or get a mate to send me a copy..
> I'll work it out.. don't doubt that I'll be back though!!

Well, I'm off to visit my parents over there in a couple of
weeks.  If chance has it you're in Cannes, I'll push a copy
through your letterbox. hehe ;-)

- --
Lee J. Moore
Gentoo Linux/Portage 1.9.13

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.7 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAj0CMLUACgkQ6k8to8I6M0zqHQCgl8pDcD9xUUZnTuiJIZHEGLE4
gKkAn0lY1I+fhjzjWKe+ORG1p2V4k2yl
=uBZX
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

 
 
 

Grphics Card Not suppported

Post by Tim Espla » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 06:13:13


Quote:> Well, I'm off to visit my parents over there in a couple of
> weeks.  If chance has it you're in Cannes, I'll push a copy
> through your letterbox. hehe ;-)

lol! Bit far from me I'm afraid..! feel free to post me a copy when you get
here though ;-)

Tim

 
 
 

Grphics Card Not suppported

Post by Yan Seine » Mon, 10 Jun 2002 09:42:56



> I probably could.. The one problem that I have, is that although I'm
> engliah, I now live in france.. All the distor's I've seen on the front
> of mags over here are in french, which I'm not overly good at yet!

Actually, that should not make a whole lot of difference.

I'd guess that most of the latest distros are pretty multi-lingual.

I had to buy a separate English and Japanese versions of RedHat 7.0 a few
years back.  Now, RedHat 7.3 comes with multi-byte support standard.
You pick the installation language, and you pick the user languages.  So
my box has Czech, English, and Japanese support, right out of the box,
with the standard US RedHat 7.3 release.  My advice is to get RedHat 7.3
(or Mandrake, though it is French and thus could be nationalistic - at
least in the mags) and go for it.  Just pick English as the install
language and then the language of your choice for your OS.

One ***BIG** advanage of linux over windows.  Windows forces you to buy a
separate license for each language, linux gives you all languages for
free.  And you can pick your language of the day; so you could log in to
a french box on odd days and an english box on even days.  No better way
to learn the language, unless you meet a lady of like persuasion....

--Yan

 
 
 

1. Alpha 2100A 4/275 - grphics card problem

Hi,

I have an alpha 2100A as above. I'm having some problems with the
graphics card in that when I powere the system up I get the disks
initializing can hear it all starting but get no output to screen. I
have tried it in each ISA slot, however from reading a bit around
(after the fact stupidly enough!!) I've figured that this wasn't the
smartest thing to do as the ECU util needs to be run each time a
change is madein the ISA setup, however my problem now is that without
a woking graphics adapter how do I access the console so that I can
run ECU? I've tried sticking a laptop off the com ports (running
terminal emulator) however this hasn't given me anything either. Can
anyone suggest anything I could do?

Thanks
Donal

2. XDM, but ascii on console?

3. Which ISDN card does Freebsd suppport for use in the UK

4. Installation error of Mandrake 9.0 (no hdlist1.cz found)

5. Xconfig - WD90C33 chip set Not suppported ???

6. Which newsreader?

7. Help, PAP says CD not suppported!

8. How do I edit a file that has a lock

9. Grphics Filter

10. Does RedHat Linux suppport FAT32?

11. 603e suppport with linuxpmac and pbook5300cs?

12. Suppport

13. Adaptec 2910 suppported?