Supported IDE tape drives

Post by wei.. » Fri, 09 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Are there any IDE tape drives supported by Linux?  I got a list from
RedHat web site, but most of the tape drives I have never heard of
before & I couldn't even find websites for most of them.

Am I better off using a parallel device (e.g. ZipDrive)?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Supported IDE tape drives

Post by Steven How » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

This is a little tricky.  RH6.0 does not support all the tape drives
during
"installation" (my DAT drive wasn't).  In fact I had to open the box,
remove the cable from the tape drive to continue the installation.
But the kernel installed did have support. What this means is that to
get
 a generic kernel on a single floppy, RH dropped support for some
uncommon tape drives.

The kernel documenation (/usr/src/linux/Documentation/ide.txt) says:
.
.
.
        - support for IDE ATAPI *tape* drives, courtesy of Gadi Oxman
                (re-run MAKEDEV.ide to create the tape device entries in
/dev/)
.
.

Hope this helps

Steven Howe

> Are there any IDE tape drives supported by Linux?  I got a list from
> RedHat web site, but most of the tape drives I have never heard of
> before & I couldn't even find websites for most of them.

> Am I better off using a parallel device (e.g. ZipDrive)?

1. Tape Drive Support: HP c1533A DDS-2 SCSI TAPE DRIVE

A customer is running 2.0.7 and has a SCSI HP DATA tape drive.
(HP C1533A DDS-2) and would like to back up to it.  Anybody know if
this will work?  Also is there a TAPE HOW TO somewhere out there?
Thanks in advance:  =Mike

2. XFree86 Config

3. IDE tape drive support for Sun Ultra-5?

4. RealOne for Linux

5. Help: IDE Tape drive support.

6. trouble with Xine and Redhat

7. : Support for 305M IDE Tape Drive?

8. SCANNERS

9. IDE *tape* drives supported?

10. Does FreeBSD support IDE TR5 tape drives?

11. Does FreeBSD support OnStream IDE tape drives?

12. Are IDE/ATAPI tape drives supported?

13. Is Sony SDT-4010 (IDE tape drive) supported?