Help needed - Win98 --> Linux needs IPC$ Password ?

Help needed - Win98 --> Linux needs IPC$ Password ?

Post by linux.se.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi

I'm a complete newbie to Linux and I'm trying to set a system up with
3 Windows98 Machines and 1 Linux.

All the machines are now connected and I can telnet into the Linux
machine from any of the windows ones.  From Linux I can mount the
Windows Shares  ok, but I can't get Windows to connect to Linux
through Network Neighbourhood.  The Linux machine is listed as being
on the Network (and in the same Workgroup) but when I try to connect
to it I get

ENTER NETWORK PASSWORD
Resource:  \\mydomain\IPC$

I have tried all the password I have used on both machine in upper and
lower case but none work.

I originally had Redhat 6.0 installed, but I bought a Teach Yourself
Linux book which came with Caldera OpenLinux 2.2, so I now have that
installed on the machine.

I think I have set up SAMBA correctly as I can use smbmount to mount
the Windows Shares in Linux.  BTW I have set Linux up to use encrypted
password in smb.conf

encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba.d/smbpasswd

Any thoughts on where I have gone wrong

Phil

Post by Jade Weatheril » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi

> I'm a complete newbie to Linux and I'm trying to set a system up with
> 3 Windows98 Machines and 1 Linux.

> All the machines are now connected and I can telnet into the Linux
> machine from any of the windows ones.  From Linux I can mount the
> Windows Shares  ok, but I can't get Windows to connect to Linux
> through Network Neighbourhood.  The Linux machine is listed as being
> on the Network (and in the same Workgroup) but when I try to connect
> to it I get

> ENTER NETWORK PASSWORD
> Resource:  \\mydomain\IPC$

> I have tried all the password I have used on both machine in upper and
> lower case but none work.

Make sure that the 98s are in the hosts file with correct names might help.

Also remember the way 98 works with networking authentication is really shit
and cumbersom, not at all like NT, RISC OS, Linux.  I.e. the user you
connect to the as will be the username you entered at the MS networking
prompt when your PC booted.  It will also use the password that you entered
as well.  Add the account to the linux and set its password, then relogin on
your PC with the same username and password as on the linux and you should
be able to simple browse to shares that user can see and that users home
area.

..IPC$ password requests in windows never seem to work for me so your ms
networking password MUST be the same as on the linux.

--
 __  __  __  __      __ ___   _____________________________________________
|__||__)/ __/  \|\ ||_   |   /
|  ||  \\__/\__/| \||__  |  /...Internet access for all Acorn RISC machines

... I forgot my tagline file...

1. Need help on Starcraft via ISDN->Linux Router->IPX-Routing->Win98

You're gonna need to use CHAP to send/recv the user/pass to/from the
other people.  Read the PPP howto for info on how to configure the
"options" and "chap-secrets" files to get this going.  Then, you'll need
to make sure you have IPX support in the kernel.  Lastly, you'll need to
find a program which will route the packets between everyone.  The
problem is that Starcraft seems to send "broadcast" packets over a PPP
(dialup) link.  This means that linux doesn't route them.  I've tried
setting
up this sort of thing VIA the inet with VPN (having everyone connect to
my linux box), and I wound up trying to write my own program (based on
a program called "ipxbridge") which would listen for broadcasts on every
PPP link, and then send them to every other PPP.  I had it working with 2
people, but more than that seems to mess up.  I'd be glad to hear what you
can find and do, so please post and/or email with updates.

Natman

2. how to see the metric value in solaris

3. <help>Linux newbies need help with CD and soundcard<help>

4. name mangling and locating symbols in a shared library

5. win98 -> linux (samba) password requested, no user, no password works ...

6. JetDirect PKG install error

7. Slow Network Linux->Win98=Slow Win98->Linux=Fast

8. checking mail

9. <<->> x-server and backspace: help needed please <<->>

10. Im migrating from Win98 to Linux ==> need portable tape format

11. HELP : need help on how to connect a win98 box to a linux machine

12. Samba needs password for $IPC

13. power surge -> crash -> hd problems -> help needed